Muscle Tensions occurring during meditation.

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
SciFiFanatic101

Muscle Tensions occurring during meditation.

Post by SciFiFanatic101 »

I've been meditating on and off for the past 2 years and muscle tension has been, along with day dreams, a major stumbling block during my meditation practice. Tensions are present mainly around the area of my shoulders and abdomen. I've observed that I have the habit of tensing these areas almost all the time during the day, even concentrating on my breath produces tension, specifically the in-breath. Aside from phychoanalysis, are there any techniques you could recommend to at least alleviate my condition?
bodom

Re: Muscle Tensions occurring during meditation.

Post by bodom »

Yes its very simple notice the tension, release and return to the moment over and over in both formal meditation and daily life. Wandering thoughts create tensions in the body especially the face. Have you ever seen the statue of The Thinker? A Face full of tension. Just keep relaxing both body and mind.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

Keep at it. I struggled with tension in the abdomen for quite some time particularly, maybe 2-3 years, and sometimes my entire meditation was focusing on observing the tension there with the breath.
atharva2k

Post by atharva2k »

It's quite common. I've been struggling with back tension for the past year. Before it was tension + aversion (which was intense pain), now its just tension. I think it's one of those habit patterns that will be resolved through long term practice.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SciFiFanatic101 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:40 pm I've been meditating on and off for the past 2 years and muscle tension has been, along with day dreams, a major stumbling block during my meditation practice. Tensions are present mainly around the area of my shoulders and abdomen. I've observed that I have the habit of tensing these areas almost all the time during the day, even concentrating on my breath produces tension, specifically the in-breath. Aside from phychoanalysis, are there any techniques you could recommend to at least alleviate my condition?
Have you tried relaxation exercises, eg lying down and letting the earth take your weight?

And what posture are you using for meditation? Some postures can induce further physical tension in the body, so it's worth experimenting.
Buddha save me from new-agers!
SciFiFanatic101

Post by SciFiFanatic101 »

Dinsdale wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:24 am
SciFiFanatic101 wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:40 pm I've been meditating on and off for the past 2 years and muscle tension has been, along with day dreams, a major stumbling block during my meditation practice. Tensions are present mainly around the area of my shoulders and abdomen. I've observed that I have the habit of tensing these areas almost all the time during the day, even concentrating on my breath produces tension, specifically the in-breath. Aside from phychoanalysis, are there any techniques you could recommend to at least alleviate my condition?
Have you tried relaxation exercises, eg lying down and letting the earth take your weight?

And what posture are you using for meditation? Some postures can induce further physical tension in the body, so it's worth experimenting.

I've been meditating in the Japanese seiza position for some months and was doing fantastic progress, at some point staying in that position for 2 hours in the morning. The first hour was simply a rush of thoughts, but the second provided brief windows of mental calm that were simply breathtaking. Alas, I stopped after that because of my medical residency exam, got a bad mark and went into depression. Now, I am meditating mostly in the Burmese style, and struggling both with muscle tension and keeping an erect back. Sometimes during the day I get nauseous and I suspect my faulty sitting position may be at fault, causing undue stress on my gallbladder and liver.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

SciFiFanatic101 wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 4:13 pm
Dinsdale wrote: Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:24 am

I've been meditating in the Japanese seiza position for some months and was doing fantastic progress, at some point staying in that position for 2 hours in the morning. The first hour was simply a rush of thoughts, but the second provided brief windows of mental calm that were simply breathtaking. Alas, I stopped after that because of my medical residency exam, got a bad mark and went into depression. Now, I am meditating mostly in the Burmese style, and struggling both with muscle tension and keeping an erect back. Sometimes during the day I get nauseous and I suspect my faulty sitting position may be at fault, causing undue stress on my gallbladder and liver.
A change of posture might well help, by the sound of it. It's fine to use a stool or chair by the way, find a position that is basically comfortable.
Buddha save me from new-agers!