Quick question re Mahasi Method

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Myotai

Quick question re Mahasi Method

Post by Myotai »

....when noting say a noise (birds tweeting outside for instance) at what point do we returning to the abdomen and leave the sound. Its tricky as some sounds don’t wane…they’re sort of ‘there’ – so how do we not notice them anymore and return? <terrible grammar>!
JohnK

Re: Quick question re Mahasi Method

Post by JohnK »

Myotai wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:42 pm ....when noting say a noise (birds tweeting outside for instance) at what point do we returning to the abdomen and leave the sound. Its tricky as some sounds don’t wane…they’re sort of ‘there’ – so how do we not notice them anymore and return? <terrible grammar>!
I'm no Mahasi expert, but I have heard teachers refer to the foreground and background of attention; so, for example, the sound that does not wane could return to the background as your attention to the abdomen returns to the foreground. I think the foreground and background could do some rapid flipping back and forth until attention potentially settles down. Maybe that is helpful.
Maybe Bhikkhu Pesala will post.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

Thanks....I'll read a little further :)
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Myotai wrote: Tue Mar 27, 2018 1:42 pm ....when noting say a noise (birds tweeting outside for instance) at what point do we returning to the abdomen and leave the sound. Its tricky as some sounds don’t wane…they’re sort of ‘there’ – so how do we not notice them anymore and return? <terrible grammar>!
An important distinction is that you never note noise, you note hearing. Sound happens inside the mind when the eardrums convert vibration to sound and you need to be noting the internal sense contact not what birds are doing externally.

Bearing that in mind how quickly you will move back to the primary object will depend on whether your practice is currently to build an momentum of concetration, or whether you are observing all mental sense contact as it arises and passes away. From my experience Mahasi teachers will favour one or the other depending on where the student is at, whatever you do if you get lost then go back to the primary object.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

How i used to do it is noticing arising of consciousness at different sense doors and paying attention to that inconstancy of ear consciousness, when i notice that happening i dropped such sounds like birds etc. Happens by itself.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Goofaholix wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 9:16 am
An important distinction is that you never note noise, you note hearing. Sound happens inside the mind when the eardrums convert vibration to sound and you need to be noting the internal sense contact not what birds are doing externally.
Yes, the the idea is to be noting the most basic experience, in this case hearing. However, if you are not quick enough, you may well find that the mind starts creating a story: "Is that a duck? I wonder what colour it is? Duck stew would be a nice change from the boring vegetarian food on this retreat..." In that case, you could note "thinking", "proliferating", "imagining". It's valuable insight into how the mind takes a basic stimulus and starts to make up stuff...
Ear consciousness arises dependent on the ear and sounds. The meeting of the three is contact. Contact is a condition for feeling. What you feel, you perceive. What you perceive, you think about. What you think about, you proliferate. ...

https://suttacentral.net/mn18/en/sujato#sc10
:heart:
Mike