Maha Satipatthana Sutta some interpretations

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
User1249x

Maha Satipatthana Sutta some interpretations

Post by User1249x »

1. Internal: Sense Data. Internal Perspective(of the body) on What is happening.
Thinking, hearing, smelling, tasting, feeling, sensing

2. External: Events&Activities.
External perspective on what is happening.

3. External & Internal: Both Internal and External perspective on the Body.
Breaking up the concept of a body into constituents

This is an interpretation of the confusing translations like body in and of itself, externally&internally in and of itself etc...
Seems like it is about realizing that things are subject to events

Please do comment
Last edited by User1249x on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:52 am, edited 7 times in total.
paul

Re: sick if true? Maha Satipatthana Sutta.

Post by paul »

That’s basically correct, an insight in itself, particularly the Satipatthana reference. The two realities can be conceptualised as conventional (external, concerned with maintenance of the body) and ultimate (nibbana and all things leading to it).

It’s not sick though ( that's a western view), for accepting the simultaneity of this duality is the support for breaking through to further insights and leads to a new level of discipline regarding conventional reality.
Last edited by paul on Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

paul wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:55 am That’s basically correct, particularly the Satipatthana reference. The two realities can be conceptualised as conventional (external, concerned with maintenance of the body) and ultimate (nibbana and all things leading to it).

It’s not sick though ( that's a western view), for accepting the simultaneity of this duality is the support for breaking through to initial insights.
cool, where are works on this?
paul

Re: Maha Satipatthana Sutta some interpretations

Post by paul »

There are two kinds of knowledge, erudition acquired by studying the dhamma is theoretical knowledge based on ‘hearing’ or learning (sutamaya-nana). This type of knowledge is confined to the conventional level. Direct personal understanding of the dhamma gained through insight meditation (application of dhamma principles to daily life), is experiential knowledge…(bhavanamaya-nana).
Knowledge based on learning can sometimes become an obstruction to progress. Therefore the meditator endowed with theoretical knowledge should always recognise the primacy of experiential knowledge.—-adapted from “Two kinds of Knowledge” , from the first of the below mentioned books.

Conventional and ultimate reality belong to experiential knowledge and thus can only be found explicitly described in manuals by monks adept in insight meditation.

-“The Seven Stages of Purification and the Insight Knowledges” , Appendix 1, “Conventional and Ultimate Truth”, Matara Sri Nanarama. Note that this appendix is not found in all editions of the book.
https://www.scribd.com/document/3507893 ... of-Insight

-“ The Manual of Insight”, Ledi Sayadaw, “The Two Truths (sacca)”.
https://www.bps.lk/olib/wh/wh031_Ledi_M ... nsight.pdf
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

paul wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 1:53 am erudition acquired by studying the dhamma is theoretical knowledge based on ‘hearing’ or learning (sutamaya-nana). This type of knowledge is confined to the conventional level.
I had the "model" of the system down before i learned the Dhamma from physics, planck stuff, biocentric universe and famous experiments basicly. But i did not know the practice (Satipatthana) and the path (The Eightfold Noble Path). Also i studied behavioral conditioning(biology different disciplines) and general semantics, so it made a lot of sense quickly.

I think a lot of scientists (i do not consider myself one btw, i just had too much time on my hands) will agree with Buddhist theory but not give it a try because not desperate enough to train as hard as it takes or be too skeptical for their own good.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

User1249x wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:57 am
paul wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 12:55 am That’s basically correct, particularly the Satipatthana reference. The two realities can be conceptualised as conventional (external, concerned with maintenance of the body) and ultimate (nibbana and all things leading to it).

It’s not sick though ( that's a western view), for accepting the simultaneity of this duality is the support for breaking through to initial insights.
cool, where are works on this?
If you really want to focus on the Two Truths, why not begin where Mahayana has its practical 'origin', and that is with Nagarjuna and what Madhyamaka is all about. He didn't originate this, but took it to a level that is still the hallmark of 'The Middle Way'. A more accessible approach to his writings is probably found in various commentaries by western scholars as the commentaries by Tibetans and other clergy are complex and aimed at their own schools, not the general public.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Saengnapha wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:28 am If you really want to focus on the Two Truth
Truth is intereristing Word as it is connected to Possible. Possible is referent to the System that Is, Impossible is Untrue in the sense that it refers to a fantasy system, not the System that Is. This is connected to Cause and Effect. When even a single piece of data is wrongly perceived to be true, the System is Compromised/Corrupted. wrong information is more or less likely to causes unwanted effects. Wanted, Unwanted is connected to Intention and Discernment. Discernment is connected to Suffering. Suffering is also connected to Four Noble Truths. Nobles Truths are Connected to Samsara and the Deathless.

So yes id like to think about this stuff.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

There is also dynamic and static aspect to concepts, in sense that events and activities happen and concepts like liver, bile are seemingly constant.
Something similar is mentioned in concept and reality