Walking meditation before or after jogging?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Lombardi4

Walking meditation before or after jogging?

Post by Lombardi4 »

Simple question really, as per title. And does it matter?

I'll be jogging in the park starting tomorrow and thought of combining it with walking meditation early in the morning, before breakfast.
Nicolas

Re: Walking meditation before or after jogging?

Post by Nicolas »

Why not meditate as you jog? If not that, I would think doing walking meditation afterwards, it’ll increase the likelihood of your awareness being maintained after the whole thing is over, whereas if done beforehand and not sustained during the jog, the jog might disrupt the strength of awareness.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

Walking meditation techniques were not taught by the Buddha, but he did teach of mindfulness while walking.

He didn't really discuss running, as monks don't seem to do a great deal of it, but I see no logical reason why mindfulness while running wouldn't also be a viable activity.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:51 pm Why not meditate as you jog? If not that, I would think doing walking meditation afterwards, it’ll increase the likelihood of your awareness being maintained after the whole thing is over, whereas if done beforehand and not sustained during the jog, the jog might disrupt the strength of awareness.
Thanks. I can be mindful while jogging, but I'll stick to walking meditation as well. I think you have a good point there about it being done afterwards.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:01 pm Greetings,

Walking meditation techniques were not taught by the Buddha, but he did teach of mindfulness while walking.

He didn't really discuss running, as monks don't seem to do a great deal of it, but I see no logical reason why mindfulness while running wouldn't also be a viable activity.

Metta,
The Buddha taught mindfulness of the four postures: sitting, standing, walking and lying down. There are walking meditation vipassanā techniques. I will be practising according to the Mahāsī method. Many meditators, especially on retreat in monasteries, practice walking meditation. Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi has personally recommended it to me in the past. One can be mindful while jogging or running as well.

It will be one mindful outing to the park each morning!
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Stiphan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:11 pm It will be one mindful outing to the park each morning!
That's the important thing...

:thumbsup:

Have fun, Stiphan.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:20 pm Greetings,
Stiphan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:11 pm It will be one mindful outing to the park each morning!
That's the important thing...

:thumbsup:

Have fun, Stiphan.

Metta,
Thanks, Paul!

By my birthday in February I will have the following meditation regimen:
6am-6:45am: Jogging followed by walking meditation (15 mins jogging, 15 mins walking meditation + walking to and from the park)
7am-8am: Ānāpānasati
8am-9am: Vipassanā
9pm-10pm: Mettā & Karuṇā
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Stiphan,

As for 9-10, it might be worth looking at the sutta we were discussing the other day. (Also linked to from the website field in my profile).

It might be a good way to continue any remaining vipassana through to the metta etc. portion of your day.

Metta,
Garrib

Post by Garrib »

Stiphan wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:33 pm

By my birthday in February I will have the following meditation regimen:
6am-6:45am: Jogging followed by walking meditation (15 mins jogging, 15 mins walking meditation + walking to and from the park)
7am-8am: Ānāpānasati
8am-9am: Vipassanā
9pm-10pm: Mettā & Karuṇā
Sounds like a good* way to start and end your days!
Last edited by Garrib on Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Yeah, I think it's good to start the day mindful and aware and end it with love and compassion just before bed, for sweet dreams. And in the middle there'll be lots of studying.
bodom

Post by bodom »

retrofuturist wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:01 pm Greetings,

Hey Paul,

There is this...
But if by doing this you don't shake off your drowsiness, then — percipient of what lies in front & behind — set a distance to meditate walking back & forth, your senses inwardly immersed, your mind not straying outwards. It's possible that by doing this you will shake off your drowsiness.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings bodom,

Yes, but in the context of the sutta, it's just a mindful way to raise alertness. That said, "your senses inwardly immersed, your mind not straying outwards" is great advice at the best of times. That is, essentially, mindfulness while walking.

Nonetheless, the sutta instruction is a long way from the prescriptive, step-by-step note-taking, slow motion "zombie-walk" that is commonly associated with contemporary walking meditation instruction.

Metta,
bodom

Post by bodom »

retrofuturist wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:53 am Greetings bodom,

Yes, but in the context of the sutta, it's just a mindful way to raise alertness. That said, "your senses inwardly immersed, your mind not straying outwards" is great advice at the best of times. That is, essentially, mindfulness while walking.

Nonetheless, the sutta instruction is a long way from the prescriptive, step-by-step note-taking, slow motion "zombie-walk" that is commonly associated with contemporary walking meditation instruction.

Metta,
Hey Paul

As you probably know the "zombie walk" style of walking meditation is associated with Mahasi tradition. Other traditions like the Thai Forest teach to walk at a normal pace. This is what I learned as well from a Thai monk and his instructions mirror those in the sutta above.

A funny story about Ajahn Chah and "zombie walking" meditation:
Late in spring of 1979, Achaan Chah visited the Insight Meditation Center in Barre, Massachusetts. He taught there for ten days and each afternoon would go for a walk around the grounds. Seeing all the students out on the lawns doing slow walking meditation, he remarked that the meditation center looked like a mental hospital for diseases of the worldly mind. All afternoon as he wandered past students, he would call out to them, “Get well soon. I hope you get well soon.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/zen4859.wo ... -sick/amp/

:lol:

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
alan

Post by alan »

What you should do is run. Don't jog. Jogging is lazy, and almost always useless.
Run fast, for a short time, then take a break. Then run again. Repeat 8 times.
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
bodom wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:37 am A funny story about Ajahn Chah and "zombie walking" meditation:
Ha, yeah... it's that exact story, which led me to call it a zombie-walk!

Ajahn Chah was cool.

8-)

Metta,