Walking meditation before or after jogging?

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Lombardi4

Re: Walking meditation before or after jogging?

Post by Lombardi4 »

alan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:46 am What you should do is run. Don't jog. Jogging is lazy, and almost always useless.
Run fast, for a short time, then take a break. Then run again. Repeat 8 times.
It's good to do it the gradual way: start by jogging and gradually increase the duration and eventually the speed as well.
Mr Man

Post by Mr Man »

Here is some walking meditation instruction from Ajahn Chah:
When you're practising walking meditation (cankama), have a walking path, say from one tree to another, about 50 feet in length. Walking cankama is the same as sitting meditation. Focus your awareness: ''Now, I am going to put forth effort. With strong recollection and self-awareness I am going to pacify my mind.'' The object of concentration depends on the person. Find what suits you. Some people spread mettā to all sentient beings and then leading with their right foot, walk at a normal pace, using the mantra 'Buddho' in conjunction with the walking. Continually being aware of that object. If the mind becomes agitated then stop, calm the mind and then resume walking. Constantly self-aware. Aware at the beginning of the path, aware at every stage of the path, the beginning, the middle and the end. Make this knowing continuous.

This is a method, focussing on walking cankama. Walking cankama means walking to and fro. It's not easy. Some people see us walking up and down and think we're crazy. They don't realize that walking cankama gives rise to great wisdom. Walk to and fro. If you're tired then stand and still your mind. Focus on making the breathing comfortable. When it is reasonably comfortable then switch the attention to walking again,
http://www.ajahnchah.org/book/Just_Do_It_1_2.php
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Thank you, Mr. Man.

This is my walking meditation path. Isn't it gorgeous?
25591609_1503672159688214_4854213373106063195_n.jpg
25591609_1503672159688214_4854213373106063195_n.jpg (103.73 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
25550429_1503672089688221_5909511869778419533_n.jpg
25550429_1503672089688221_5909511869778419533_n.jpg (110.56 KiB) Viewed 4433 times
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

Stiphan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:05 pm This is my walking meditation path. Isn't it gorgeous?
Did you wear that path in the grass all on your own? :tongue:
Lombardi4

Post by Lombardi4 »

Sam Vara wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:08 pm
Stiphan wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 2:05 pm This is my walking meditation path. Isn't it gorgeous?
Did you wear that path in the grass all on your own? :tongue:
Haha, I know you're kidding, but I only walk down the alley; plus, today was my first walking meditation session. I'll do it every day, though - it's very beneficial.
deedublew

Post by deedublew »

Greeting all :)

Just joined this site today and already have found some inspirational stuff. So, really glad I am here.

Saw this thread and thought even at this late stage to add my experience in meditating while walking. I do a brisk walk for about 40 minutes a day mostly in the evening. I've noticed a few things while walking.

Lately I've found it a good place to watch your 'chitta'. The one who is knowing and watching. The 'chitta' does not get involved in the 'business' of moving the body. But just scans the surrounding to make sure 'I' am 'ok' not waking on to oncoming traffic (I walk on a footpath on busy highway) or falling into puddles. I've also found my 'chitta' to be a great companion. Very loving and kind (this is a bit hard to explain) but the feeling is overwhelming and complete.

When on occasion when my mind takes over by the 'kilesas', while I battle to get 'rid' of them, I often finds the 'chitta' waiting calmly for the battle to end to continue the great companionship. This is also experienced while walking.

Metta to all.
OLDSTUDENT

Post by OLDSTUDENT »

I think all ways of walking jogging running, or yoga salutes are fine, depending on the persons age and sporting background.
Running spurts, Hight intensity interval training awakens the energy system and you can walk meditate on the vibrations in your body, if not the heart beat and pulse through the body. That brings the attention and habit of awareness into the body more and more. Older people can pull a calf muscle quite easily so I can only do HIIT on a bike, say in a gym. But longer runs approach the effect somewhat.
Running, sure. Slow jogging only sure, or incremental pace increase as the body wakes up according to age, for sure. Otherwise long walks at 25+ minutes (2km) opens up the system, which promotes body awareness.
Sure it's not formal meditation but its a natural part of healthy metabolism and therefore purification and a part of maintaining awareness while surviving in the body outside formal practice I think.
I try to stop for 5 seconds, close my eyes, get body awareness, then walk on. Staying in the body my breath opens, maybe a heart opening if I'm lucky, and try to maintain the rythm on the parks and pavement with my friend the wandering entertaining mind.
Look at the Camina, all these experiences being reported, even reported awakenings. There are long walks in Japan too, quite a few temple walks, and also most indian saints report walking alot if not from city to city.
It seems it's not recognized much nor well promoted ( maybe coz it's free haha) but I think walking jogging is purifying and enough as it is, or also great physical preparation for meditation inner awareness and finding threads of sensations perhaps to concentrate upon...? Happy to see this thread, my first posting.
kjgdhamma

Post by kjgdhamma »

OLDSTUDENT wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:53 pm I think all ways of walking jogging running, or yoga salutes are fine, depending on the persons age and sporting background.
Running spurts, Hight intensity interval training awakens the energy system and you can walk meditate on the vibrations in your body, if not the heart beat and pulse through the body. That brings the attention and habit of awareness into the body more and more. Older people can pull a calf muscle quite easily so I can only do HIIT on a bike, say in a gym. But longer runs approach the effect somewhat.
Running, sure. Slow jogging only sure, or incremental pace increase as the body wakes up according to age, for sure. Otherwise long walks at 25+ minutes (2km) opens up the system, which promotes body awareness.
Sure it's not formal meditation but its a natural part of healthy metabolism and therefore purification and a part of maintaining awareness while surviving in the body outside formal practice I think.
I try to stop for 5 seconds, close my eyes, get body awareness, then walk on. Staying in the body my breath opens, maybe a heart opening if I'm lucky, and try to maintain the rythm on the parks and pavement with my friend the wandering entertaining mind.
Look at the Camina, all these experiences being reported, even reported awakenings. There are long walks in Japan too, quite a few temple walks, and also most indian saints report walking alot if not from city to city.
It seems it's not recognized much nor well promoted ( maybe coz it's free haha) but I think walking jogging is purifying and enough as it is, or also great physical preparation for meditation inner awareness and finding threads of sensations perhaps to concentrate upon...? Happy to see this thread, my first posting.
Where can I read about these reported experiences and awakenings on the camina? Sounds fascinating. I was contemplating doing it, as i've been enjoying my evening 5-10km walks with my new merrel moab mid boots while listening to guided meditations, dhamma podcasts or just with my click counter and the 6 senses to be aware of and thought a month long pilgrimage with mindful walking may be an interesting experience. But then I also thought that perhaps that is overkill and i should perhaps maintain some balance between sitting, walking and reclining mindfulness through my days instead.

I think i'd like to get back into longer distance jogging too as a precursor to some meditation sittings, as it brings about a heightened bodily awareness. Welcome to the board by the way! My first post too :)
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

kjgdhamma wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:03 pm Welcome to the board by the way! My first post too :)
And welcome to DW yourself! :hello:
OLDSTUDENT

Post by OLDSTUDENT »

kjgdhamma wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 6:03 pm
OLDSTUDENT wrote: Tue May 29, 2018 1:53 pm

Where can I read about these reported experiences and awakenings on the camina? Sounds fascinating. I was contemplating doing it, as i've been enjoying my evening 5-10km walks with my new merrel moab mid boots while listening to guided meditations, dhamma podcasts or just with my click counter and the 6 senses to be aware of and thought a month long pilgrimage with mindful walking may be an interesting experience. But then I also thought that perhaps that is overkill and i should perhaps maintain some balance between sitting, walking and reclining mindfulness through my days instead.

I think i'd like to get back into longer distance jogging too as a precursor to some meditation sittings, as it brings about a heightened bodily awareness. Welcome to the board by the way! My first post too :)
Well I sought info on google on Camina adventures etc.
Maybe on that site. Also an Oz woman reported in a book about thin states or perceiving energy. Many ways to break boundaries of perception. A week may be enough, depends on the person. I did a bit over a week plus 10 days of self Camina in a beautiful area including jogging too. It was hard. I think there is a lagging result, a peace may settle in later or depends on the person. I walked rythm small steps up and down hills. No iPods, no mad diets, just wholemeal, local Jamon too. But for me Japan is closer so I'd like to try the zen zone
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

bodom wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:37 am As you probably know the "zombie walk" style of walking meditation is associated with Mahasi tradition.
Our local group did some slow walking meditation in a cemetery, we got some funny looks. :jumping:
Buddha save me from new-agers!