Alternative Forms of Vipassana

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Spiny Norman

Re: Alternative Forms of Vipassana

Post by Spiny Norman »

Dharmasherab wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:06 am Isnt Satipatthana meditation a different form of meditations outside oof Vipassana? I wanted to focus this thread on Vipassana types only and not Satipatthana.
"Vipassana" is based on satipatthana. People talk about vipassana as a method, but it's really a quality of mind.

"These two qualities have a share in clear knowing. Which two? Tranquillity (samatha) & insight (vipassana).
"When tranquillity is developed, what purpose does it serve? The mind is developed. And when the mind is developed, what purpose does it serve? Passion is abandoned.
"When insight is developed, what purpose does it serve? Discernment is developed. And when discernment is developed, what purpose does it serve? Ignorance is abandoned.
"Defiled by passion, the mind is not released. Defiled by ignorance, discernment does not develop. Thus from the fading of passion is there awareness-release. From the fading of ignorance is there discernment-release."
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Buddha save me from new-agers!
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

Saengnapha wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:09 amI can only refer you back to the videos and the explanations put forth there. I think it's laid out quite clearly and not much room for flights of fancy.
Getting 'personal', you seem to have a fetish for rebellious gurus. I have listened to those videos & once is enough. Kind regards :meditate:
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

DooDoot wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:05 pm
Saengnapha wrote: Thu Nov 23, 2017 8:09 amI can only refer you back to the videos and the explanations put forth there. I think it's laid out quite clearly and not much room for flights of fancy.
Getting 'personal', you seem to have a fetish for rebellious gurus. I have listened to those videos & once is enough. Kind regards :meditate:
Perhaps that's true, but only if they make any sense to me. When you come into contact with someone like U.G., and observe how they act, and listen to what they have to say over a long period of time, through the many kinds of circumstances that life represents, and you see that there is no fundamental wavering, no disturbances whatsoever, no emotional or mental hindrances, and a constant pointing to the process of perception and the dream of existence that it creates, it affects you. Some repeat the words, the actions, and come to realize that this is not the way. The 'personal' is the way 'you' create the dream of existence. This is the way. Not through the words of anyone, or through someone else's experience or explanation. The doors of perception seem to hold the key to this. U.G. constantly reminded you of this. The Buddha constantly reminded his friends of this. Anyone who constantly reminds you of this is useful and wise. Creating any hierarchy is problematic and impossible to establish.
Spiny Norman

Post by Spiny Norman »

I have this book, it might be worth a look: http://www.abhidhamma.com/Chanmyay_Blue ... _Talks.pdf
Buddha save me from new-agers!
ancientbuddhism

Post by ancientbuddhism »

Dharmasherab wrote:Does any one know of resources on these alternate forms of Vipassana?
There is the Mahasati practice taught by Luangpor Teean Jittasubho. His basic modality is given in To One That Feels.

A testimonial I like on this method is Bright and Shining Mind in a Disabled Body by Kampol Thongbunnum
I say, beware of all enterprises that require new clothes, and not rather a new wearer of clothes.” – Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Secure your own mask before assisting others. – NORTHWEST AIRLINES (Pre-Flight Instruction)

A Handful of Leaves
CedarTree

Post by CedarTree »

Bhikkhu Pesala wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:03 am
Dharmasherab wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:53 am We can all agree that the most popular form of Vipassana in the world is the technique of Vipassana that is part of the lineage that descends from Ledi Sayadaw.
No, we cannot agree about that. We can agree that it is the most popular in India and the West. In Burma, the Mahāsi Satipaṭṭhāna method is way more popular with over 300 meditation centres compared to (I think) only one U Ba Khin centre in Burma.

Jack Kornfield's book, Living Buddhist Masters lists some of the main traditions.

Mahasi, Sunlun, Mogok, Pa Auk, are a few that spring to mind. No doubt there are others.
Never heard of Sunlun or Mogok method of Vipassana. What are those methods?

Practice, Practice, Practice