Mechanics of Insight

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Myotai

Mechanics of Insight

Post by Myotai »

Sounds like a good title for a book don't you think?

Anyway, I have been experiencing some positive experiences I can only put down to my practice, but I am somewhat surprised as to how they have presented themselves.

Been practising the Mahasi method for some time, rather than experiencing insights during the sitting session I find myself pondering an insight in the most surprising of circumstances - driving to work, listening to some music or this morning over my morning coffee.

Is this how 'Insight' works....off the cushion?

Thanks _/|\_
retrofuturist

Re: Mechanics of Insight

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Myotai wrote:Is this how 'Insight' works....off the cushion?
If you look at how most people in the suttas achieved stream-entry, yes.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Myotai

Post by Myotai »

retrofuturist wrote:Greetings,
Myotai wrote:Is this how 'Insight' works....off the cushion?
If you look at how most people in the suttas achieved stream-entry, yes.

Metta,
Thats inspiring then... :)
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Myotai,

I think so too.

Here's a previous topic on the subject, The arising of the Dhamma-eye, replete with sutta stories of people attaining stream-entry.

Metta,
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

That's an interesting subject. I've noticed that sometimes my experience in meditation can be fairly nice, but nothing "mind blowing", but then between sittings (while cooking dinner, looking at a cat, driving, or even waking up from sleep) is when these things happen. I had thought this was related to me being a crappy meditator or "dry" meditator. But sitting longer with "nice" meditation, then there is an increase in the "in between" experiences.
bodom

Post by bodom »

Myotai wrote:Sounds like a good title for a book don't you think?

Anyway, I have been experiencing some positive experiences I can only put down to my practice, but I am somewhat surprised as to how they have presented themselves.

Been practising the Mahasi method for some time, rather than experiencing insights during the sitting session I find myself pondering an insight in the most surprising of circumstances - driving to work, listening to some music or this morning over my morning coffee.

Is this how 'Insight' works....off the cushion?

Thanks _/|\_
Yes this is why the dichotomy of "formal" and "informal" meditation should be let go of. As Bhante Dhammanando noted in another thread and hundreds of Dhamma teachers have said in the past, meditation should be one long session and is to be practiced from the moment one awakens in the morning until the time one falls asleep at the end of the day. Satipathanna is to be practiced continuously in each and every moment.

:anjali:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
paul

Post by paul »

Unless you want to be a Hindu, samatha practice is only for the purpose of developing calm so that insight can function, just as a surgeon can only operate on a tranquillised patient. The vital work of investigation happens during daily life when, through the process of mindfulness, events (the raw material) are put into a remembered dhamma context:

“And because the mind in concentration is so clear and bright, right view can watch this desire and its results more clearly as they occur. In this way, concentration provides an excellent basis for exposing the process of fabrication - the intentional processes by which the mind shapes experience- as they occur…”

"Because these fabrications, in an untrained mind, are influenced by ignorance, they lead to suffering and stress. That is why insight has to focus on them..."

“…the main role of right mindfulness here is to remember to provide a solid framework for observing the activity of fabrication. At the same time, it remembers lessons drawn from right view in the past— both lessons from reading and listening to the Dhamma, as well as lessons from reading the results of your own actions— that can be used to shape this activity in a more skilful direction: to act as the path to the end of suffering, which …is also a form of fabrication.”—- “Right Mindfulness”, Thanissaro Bikkhu.
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

paul wrote:Unless you want to be a Hindu, samatha practice is only for the purpose of developing calm so that insight can function, just as a surgeon can only operate on a tranquillised patient.
Do Hindus practice samatha? I didn't know that. What variety of Hindu, please?
paul

Post by paul »

Hindu dhyana:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhyana_in_Hinduism

"Uddaka Ramaputta[note 1] who is said to be the teacher of some meditation methods to Buddha, as well as the originator of Vipassana and Preksha meditation techniques." This statement is wrong, the Buddha was the originator of vipassana. Indeed he left his two teachers, intuitively feeling there was something beyond jhana, and that emancipation was not unification with a god, but a human-centered responsibility achieved progressively through insight.
2600htz

Post by 2600htz »

Hello:

I would´t call those insights, they are more like "wholesome thoughts".

Regards.
Crazy cloud

Post by Crazy cloud »

paul wrote: Fri Sep 22, 2017 6:17 am samatha practice is only for the purpose of developing calm so that insight can function, just as a surgeon can only operate on a tranquillised patient.
splendid :goodpost:
If you didn't care
What happened to me
And I didn't care for you

We would zig-zag our way
Through the boredom and pain
Occasionally glancing up through the rain

Wondering which of the
Buggers to blame
And watching for pigs on the wing
- Roger Waters