Interested in others' practice: Analyo book + Ajahn Amaro reading + daily sati & sitting

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
JMGinPDX

Interested in others' practice: Analyo book + Ajahn Amaro reading + daily sati & sitting

Post by JMGinPDX »

Hello all -
I thought I'd outline my current practice and see if others are doing something similar or have recommendations.

I'm currently
* reading the Analyo book on Satipatthana (usually 20-30 minutes/evening)
* listening to Ajahn Amaro's podcast reading through and commenting on the same (usually 20-30 minutes each on my drives to/from work)
* practicing daily: 30-60 minutes of sitting meditation and attempts to maintain sati throughout the day during work, family time, etc.

In my sitting practice, I have my meditation timer set to sound a bell at the 10-minute mark.
I start with observing bodily posture and activities, often using the object from the Chappāṇa­kopa­ma Sutta (SN 35.247), imagining my body as the post and the senses as the animals tied by ropes.
Then I move to the breath until the bell sounds.
I then switch to the parts of the body and/or cemetery contemplations until the bell rings again.
I then switch to analysis of feelings and consciousness, and if time allows, contemplations of dhammas (usually the 3 marks of existence and the 4 elements).

Throughout the day, while walking or sitting in a meeting or wearing our infant daughter I try to practice general mindfulness of the moment, analyzing my current mind state to see if I have thoughts in the past or future or an alternate present, bringing myself to the present moment and then remaining aware of the hindrances and acknowledging them.

I've committed to focusing only on the Satipatthana Sutta practices, hopefully extending into longer practice periods soon, for about 1 year (just to put an arbitrary timeframe on it). I still do short metta meditations as well, particularly if I'm feeling aversion.

Any input on this sequence, or recommendations for other practices?
Right now, it's like this...
bodom

Re: Interested in others' practice: Analyo book + Ajahn Amaro reading + daily sati & sitting

Post by bodom »

:thumbsup:

Sounds good! Don't forget the most basics of the path, generosity and the precepts.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Caodemarte

Re: Interested in others' practice: Analyo book + Ajahn Amaro reading + daily sati & sitting

Post by Caodemarte »

JMGinPDX wrote: ...In my sitting practice, I have my meditation timer set to sound a bell at the 10-minute mark.
I start with observing bodily posture and activities, often using the object from the Chappāṇa­kopa­ma Sutta (SN 35.247), imagining my body as the post and the senses as the animals tied by ropes.
Then I move to the breath until the bell sounds.
I then switch to the parts of the body and/or cemetery contemplations until the bell rings again.
I then switch to analysis of feelings and consciousness, and if time allows, contemplations of dhammas (usually the 3 marks of existence and the 4 elements).....Any input on this sequence, or recommendations for other practices?

As an unqualified to give advice, but a fellow sitter, may I suggest you experiment with: sit, settle down (perhaps with first activity for a few minutes and then move to the breath and stay with it (or just one of the other practices) for 30 minutes or whatever. (Right now you may be disrupting your sitting by the constant transitions. ) Then gradually extend your sitting time (try adding 5 or less minutes to each daily sitting period a week). If you have time add a second session. However, this should be understood as something to try and see what depeens the practice for you. It may not and, if so, abandon it.

I would also suggest that you find a group to sit with, if you have not already, and seek out in person advice from a qualified person.