Metta and Satipattana

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
indianromeo

Metta and Satipattana

Post by indianromeo »

Just wondering how to best integrate metta contemlation with sattipattana. Take the 3rd Foundation which is currently my "jam." When I "know" that my mind is not deluded, for example, would it be appropriate to contemplate "Metta?" That is how I'm approaching it, giving a bit more tenderness to a "wholesome" mind-state. :anjali:
JohnK

Re: Metta and Satipattana

Post by JohnK »

I don't know if there is a preferred way, but more typically I will move from metta to mindfulness than the other way around -- often metta settles/calms the mind, so when the metta is done, sometimes mindfulness is "just there" (w/o much hindrance). In going from mindfulness practice to metta, I suppose it would be useful to see as closely as possible what may actually be arising to cause that volition to shift to metta -- I know for me it could be a restlessness -- a desire to give my mind something more active to do. (YMMV of course!).
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
bodom

Post by bodom »

This is the Buddhas instruction for practicing metta with satipatthana:
"Monks, the establishing of mindfulness is to be practiced with the thought, 'I'll watch after myself.' The establishing of mindfulness is to be practiced with the thought, 'I'll watch after others.' When watching after yourself, you watch after others. When watching after others, you watch after yourself.

"And how do you watch after others when watching after yourself? Through cultivating [the practice], through developing it, through pursuing it. This is how you watch after others when watching after yourself.

"And how do you watch after yourself when watching after others? Through endurance, through harmlessness, through a mind of goodwill, & through sympathy. This is how you watch after yourself when watching after others.

"The establishing of mindfulness is to be practiced with the thought, 'I'll watch after myself.' The establishing of mindfulness is to be practiced with the thought, 'I'll watch after others.' When watching after yourself, you watch after others. When watching after others, you watch after yourself."

http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html

Also some advice from a modern day meditation master:
The Brahmaviharas or the "divine abidings," of loving kindness, compassion, joy and equanimity, should be the foundation of our awareness. - Ajahn Chah

There is no need to separate the two.

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
indianromeo

Post by indianromeo »

Makes sense, thanks people.