Anyone who has experience with Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw insight meditation...

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
zan

Anyone who has experience with Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw insight meditation...

Post by zan »

Is there anyone who has experience with Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw insight meditation and could clear up some misunderstandings I have developed about what the actual experiences and results of the practice are?

I have some views and understandings that I am almost positive are incorrect. The only way to get over them will be to discuss them with people who actually know from the inside out, since I developed them from an outside view due to misinterpreting descriptions of the experiences that were written from an inside perspective.
Assume all of my words on dhamma could be incorrect. Seek an arahant for truth.

"If we base ourselves on the Pali Nikayas, then we should be compelled to conclude that Buddhism is realistic. There is no explicit denial anywhere of the external world. Nor is there any positive evidence to show that the world is mind-made or simply a projection of subjective thoughts. That Buddhism recognizes the extra-mental existence of matter and the external world is clearly suggested by the texts. Throughout the discourses it is the language of realism that one encounters.
-Y. Karunadasa
JohnK

Re: Anyone who has experience with Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw insight meditation...

Post by JohnK »

zan wrote:Is there anyone who has experience with Venerable Mahasi Sayadaw insight meditation and could clear up some misunderstandings I have developed about what the actual experiences and results of the practice are?

I have some views and understandings that I am almost positive are incorrect. The only way to get over them will be to discuss them with people who actually know from the inside out, since I developed them from an outside view due to misinterpreting descriptions of the experiences that were written from an inside perspective.
Quite a few people here have such experience; maybe it would help if you would be specific about the understandings you are concerned about.
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]