Another vipassana technique

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
practitioner

Another vipassana technique

Post by practitioner »

I accidentally found this article and would like to share with everyone
http://www.dharmaoverground.org/dharma- ... permanence

This person applied his own technique to develop the first knowledge of insight. Took him 5 years. The mental noting by Mahasi Sayadaw is to observe the arising and falling phenomenon. This author has done that with a scientific experimental approach to it. Fascinating read.

When I am not tuned to the outside world, I can hear high pitch static noise. From that noise I can hear rising and falling at least 1o times per second. For the past few weeks I have been observing sensations in my movement but I haven't gotten to observe frequency higher than one per second. HIs exercise on the use of two fingers is brilliant and his other ones are brilliant as well.

Enjoy. May this article lead you all to first stage enlightenment.

I don't know why there are so many topics in this website that are unrelated to dhamma. One of the practice is to be silent, and if we must talk then talk only about dhamma practice. Another aspect of the practice is to relinquish all views.
fivebells

Re: Another vipassana technique

Post by fivebells »

I was a big fan of his back in the day. It's a dead end. Don't go that way.
practitioner

Post by practitioner »

fivebells wrote:I was a big fan of his back in the day. It's a dead end. Don't go that way.
I love to hear your inputs with more details. Was it David Ingram who wrote about the 5 exercises?

What is dead end? The 5 exercises or David Ingram appraoch?
Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

Hard-core Dhamma (Daniel Ingram).
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

I tried to read the book, but the waft of egotism was too strong for me. The obsession with getting to different "levels" of consciousness like a spiritual tourist and the implied idea that realization is something separate out there that can be achieved or earned was even more off putting. That said, I seem to recall that Ingram admits that his manner may be off putting and abrasive (apparently for these reasons) for some, but attractive for others (apparently for the same) . Your mileage may vary.
spacenick

Post by spacenick »

I'll just say one thing: be careful.