The Daily Tejaniya

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Nicolas

The Daily Tejaniya

Post by Nicolas »

I signed up last December to receive daily emails containing a nugget of wisdom from Sayadaw U Tejaniya:
The Rochester Meditation Center wrote: The Rochester Meditation center publishes a daily email meditation reminder in the style of Sayadaw U Tejaniya, a Burmese monk and meditation teacher. Sayadaw's style of meditation stresses the development of a natural continuous awareness throughout all daily life activities, from the moment we wake up until the moment we fall asleep. To subscribe to The Daily Tejaniya, click here. For more information on Sayadaw U Tejaniya, click here.
I find them to be great and highly recommend them. You can find a periodically-updated archive of all of them here (started August 2014).

For example, today's:
The Daily Tejaniya, Aug. 16, 2016 wrote: We want to know ourselves: "Who am I?"
We are nature, a physical and mental process that is happening at this point in time. We need to be like a scientist, researching ourselves: "Why am I so angry? Why am I so anxious and worried all the time?" Once you know, suffering becomes less and less.
Mkoll

Re: The Daily Tejaniya

Post by Mkoll »

Thanks for sharing that Nicolas. It looks like a skillful way to start the day.

:anjali:
Namo tassa bhagavato arahato samma sambuddhassa
Mkoll

Post by Mkoll »

The Daily Tejaniya, Aug. 17, 2016 wrote:The ideal vipassana is not so much
"I am meditating," but more "medi-
tating is happening naturally."
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, August 20, 2016, wrote:You need to be aware of yourself continuously, whatever posture you are in, from the time you wake up until you fall asleep.
rowboat

Post by rowboat »

Nicolas wrote:I signed up last December to receive daily emails containing a nugget of wisdom from Sayadaw U Tejaniya....
Hey thanks, Nicolas. This is great. My only exposure to Sayadaw U Tejaniya has been sporadic and second-hand through Joseph Goldstein. I have two daily Dhamma subscriptions to my email and I've now added a third.

:thumbsup:
Rain soddens what is covered up,
It does not sodden what is open.
Therefore uncover what is covered
That the rain will not sodden it.
Ud 5.5
ieee23

Post by ieee23 »

Nicolas wrote:I signed up last December to receive daily emails containing a nugget of wisdom from Sayadaw U Tejaniya:
I'm signing up, I just read a book of his that I really liked. I had no idea this list existed. Thanks for posting!
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19
bodom

Post by bodom »

The Daily Tejaniya for Thursday, Aug. 25

Take interest in the work you are doing.

Many yogis encounter good and bad expe-
riences in their practice. Sometimes they have
good meditation and sometimes they don't
feel satisfied in their practice.

When I ask them why, they don't know! Do
you know why they can't tell me?

It's because they don't study or take
interest in what they are doing.

They don't know their minds.

They don't know what they are doing,
or why they are doing it!
:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
bodom

Post by bodom »

The Daily Tejaniya for Friday, August 26, 2016

Before we can effectively practice mindfulness
meditation, we must understand right view.

By simple observation with a calm and aware
mind, we will soon see the mind as nature, not
"I,"not self, not personal. No one is there.

The mind is a natural phenomenon.

You are practicing to dis-
cover this nature.
:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, September 18, 2016 wrote: In the scriptures the mind is defined. It is defined as "that which knows," "that which thinks" and "that which pays attention."

Because it is defined as "that which knows" and "that which pays attention," we really don't have to do much work to know and pay attention.

The mind is already doing it because that's its job—that is its nature.

All we need to do is be aware and be present, so we can recognize the mind doing its work.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, Oct. 4, 2016 wrote: Yogi: Can there be awareness of awareness?

Sayadaw U Tejaniya: Yes there can be. I often give an analogy, every moment that we are aware is like putting dots down in a line. So a moment of awareness ... dot ... awareness ... dot ... awareness ... dot ... dot ... dot ... dot ... When you have a lot of dots you begin to see the line. That's what it feels like when you are continuously aware. Suddenly this thing that is awareness seems to come alive in your consciousness. You begin to see this thing at work. You can step back from it and that's awareness of awareness.
Phena

Post by Phena »

Nicolas wrote:
The Daily Tejaniya, Oct. 4, 2016 wrote: Yogi: Can there be awareness of awareness?

Sayadaw U Tejaniya: Yes there can be. I often give an analogy, every moment that we are aware is like putting dots down in a line. So a moment of awareness ... dot ... awareness ... dot ... awareness ... dot ... dot ... dot ... dot ... When you have a lot of dots you begin to see the line. That's what it feels like when you are continuously aware. Suddenly this thing that is awareness seems to come alive in your consciousness. You begin to see this thing at work. You can step back from it and that's awareness of awareness.
Thanks Nicolas. I like Sayadaw U Tejaniya's investigative approach and his ability to get to the heart of what's important in a few words.

I look forward to receiving The daily Tejaniya.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, Dec. 30, 2016 wrote:The whole world is actually at our six sense doors. It's not "out there."
The Daily Tejaniya, Dec. 31, 2016 wrote:Is the mind awake? Is the mind sleepy? Is the mind dull? Is the mind interested? Always be checking the quality of the mind.
ganegaar

Post by ganegaar »

Excellent!, many thanks, I subscribed too..
Sīlepatiṭṭhāya naro sapañño, cittaṃ paññañca bhāvayaṃ;
Ātāpī nipako bhikkhu, so imaṃ vijaṭaye jaṭanti.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, Feb. 7, 2017 wrote:When we see the mind leaning toward a concept and becoming agitated, notice this without judging the concept as good or bad. Then bring awareness to the feeling in the mind or related sensations in the body. Practice this often enough and it will soon become an automatic response, second nature. Meditation is happening of its own accord.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, Feb. 11, 2017 wrote:Never make a decision because you like or dislike something.