The Daily Tejaniya

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Nicolas

Re: The Daily Tejaniya

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, Feb. 14, 2017 wrote:A wise and skillful person can turn poison into medicine. A skilled meditator can transform hindrances into understanding.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, March 7, 2017 wrote:I was sitting chewing betel leaf amid the hillside greenery and watching the world go by when I suddenly became aware that my mind was full of what I wanted and couldn't get, and what I didn't want but continued to get. I could see the chaos in my mind, and through this chaos it became obvious to me that desire and aversion were just the one defilement. They were a continuum and were unable to be separated, backwards and forwards, up and down—continual movements of the one defilement. I could now see that the key to stability in my mind was to be at the point of balance where there was no movement, just awareness of movement at those extremes. This was a very important lesson for me. What came to mind while I was sitting there was that I didn't want to die without having lived a good and wholesome life.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, March 14, 2017 wrote: When you observe yourself—this whole process of mind and matter—you want to remind yourself that the "me" is actually a process of mind and matter coming together. We want to understand that process and that's why we are observing it.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, July 26, 2017 wrote:Just because the mind is thinking does not mean you have lost samadhi. Samadhi is in the observing mind. It is able to watch steadily. That is samadhi. If you are able to maintain awareness it means there is samadhi.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, August 2, 2017 wrote:Some of us have been practicing for a very long time but maybe we aren't getting as much from the practice as we could. Maybe we haven't changed as much as we could for the better. We may still have our storehouse of aversion or greed or delusion. If that is so it is only because we haven't got to the point that we practice all the time.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, August 3, 2017 wrote:If we could feel about meditation at home like we do on retreat, if we could bring home that same commitment to mindfulness, and sustain it, we would see big changes.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, August 8, 2017 wrote:Some yogis ask until when do they have to practice. Well, the unwholesome states of mind are very skillful at taking their place in the mind. It's like musical chairs. We have to build mindfulness, samadhi, right effort and all so that we get to the chair first. When that happens consistently, you will know you've got ahead of the game.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, August 26, 2017 wrote:Once somebody is looking for the mind, there's something wrong. Because everything that's happening, everything there is, is mind.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, October 2, 2017 wrote:You need to learn from what you are doing, not just sit there and expect results.
The Daily Tejaniya, October 5, 2017 wrote:Never make a decision because you like or dislike something.
The Daily Tejaniya, October 29, 2017 wrote:The defilements are very dominant in the mind. They are very experienced, they are very skillful, and they will always get their way if we are not aware they are present. If you don't fully recognize them and bring in wisdom, they will take over your mind.
The Daily Tejaniya, November 3, 2017 wrote:We need to keep watching the mind all the time. We have to keep a tag on the mind, always being aware of what is going on, and keep working on it. It is a full-time job. As long as you are busy doing good things, you have no time to do anything bad.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, November 10, 2017 wrote:If the quality of your mind was really important to you, you would always pay attention to it and take care of it. You would always check the state of your mind, in every situation. You have to take care of you mind first, and then you can relate to others.
The Daily Tejaniya, November 11, 2017 wrote:If enjoyment naturally arises in the present moment, know that it is happening, but don't get carried away. Don't get involved, and also don't suppress it. Recognize it is happening and be with it.
The Daily Tejaniya, November 13, 2017 wrote:The moment we become aware, we replace not knowing with knowing. Only when we know, can we understand and develop an interest in what is happening. Understanding what is happening will bring peace to the mind.
Nicolas

Post by Nicolas »

The Daily Tejaniya, November 18, 2017 wrote: Check yourself often: are you tense or relaxed?
The Daily Tejaniya, November 19, 2017 wrote: Practice in a relaxed way, but don't stop practicing.
The Daily Tejaniya, November 29, 2017 wrote: The defilements which arise in the observing mind affect you more significantly than the ones you see passing through your mind as your experience. The latter do not matter so much, but it is very important to watch out for the ones that infiltrate the observing mind.
pilgrim

Post by pilgrim »

New extensive site on Sayadaw Tejaniya
https://tejaniyasayadaw.space/
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

The Daily Tejaniya, Jan. 21, 2018 wrote:Don't try to maintain equanimity;
only try to keep awareness.
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
aflatun

Post by aflatun »

The Daily Tejaniya March 27, 2018 wrote:I often year yogis talk about seeing arising and passing away when they are on retreat. When they get back home, however, there is no more arising or passing away. At home things are suddenly very permanent again. A true understanding of impermanence is very different.
The Daily Tejaniya March 28, 2018 wrote:A true understanding of impermanence is a very deep knowing that everything ends. Does impermanence only manifest when the leaf is falling off the tree? Or is the leaf already impermanent when it is still part of the tree?
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16
Digity

Post by Digity »

I'm a big fan of Sayadaw U Tejaniya. I can sometimes be too uptight, so his relaxed style is good for me.