Back to back Goenka retreats

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Dhammabodhi

Back to back Goenka retreats

Post by Dhammabodhi » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:33 pm

Hi all,

I am planning to do a 'long' retreat (at least 20 days), and since I have been doing vipassana in the Goenka style, I would like to continue in this style. Of course, a continuous long retreat, of say 1 month, in this tradition has many years of stable practice as a prerequisite, which I don't have. So, I would like to do two consecutive retreats, but I didn't find any information on dhamma.org about such a possibility. Has anyone here done such a thing? Is it allowed, for example, to do two consecutive retreats in the same centre?

Thanks for your answers,
:anjali:
"Take rest, take rest."-S.N.Goenka

randall

Re: Back to back Goenka retreats

Post by randall » Sat Feb 14, 2015 3:56 pm

The one close to my area will only let you register one at a time, so the newest will cancel out the previous one. This is more likely because there are so many people on the waiting list waiting to attend. I've seen old students who were serving a course then immediately attended the next one as a full time meditator and vise versa without having to leave, this may be an option?, I've also seen an old student who was serving but got to jump over to the full time meditating due to someone leaving after day three! For the record the last individual served many courses and helped with summer clean-up prior.

Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:28 am

Thanks for your reply, randall. Although serving is on my to-do list, this time I am looking to sit both times. I was hoping to sit at the same centre, but if they don't allow this I might have to do it in different centres.

Thanks again,

Ben

Post by Ben » Mon Feb 16, 2015 6:52 pm

Dhammabodhi wrote:Hi all,

I am planning to do a 'long' retreat (at least 20 days), and since I have been doing vipassana in the Goenka style, I would like to continue in this style. Of course, a continuous long retreat, of say 1 month, in this tradition has many years of stable practice as a prerequisite, which I don't have. So, I would like to do two consecutive retreats, but I didn't find any information on dhamma.org about such a possibility. Has anyone here done such a thing? Is it allowed, for example, to do two consecutive retreats in the same centre?

Thanks for your answers,
It depends on the Centre and the Local policy is.
I would like to repeat Randall's advice. Go with an aim of sitting and serving alternate courses. Serving on a course is nothing to sneeze at, and it can be profoundly beneficial.
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

SamBodhi

Post by SamBodhi » Wed Feb 18, 2015 10:23 am

I am wondering, could you sit, serve, and sit sequentially? This would be a total of 30 days or thereabouts. With a total of 20 days sitting. Seems like something worth looking into if the goal is to spend as much time in retreat as possible.

with Metta,
SamBodhi
"An inward-staying
unentangled knowing,
All outward-going knowing
cast aside."
--Upasika Kee Nanayon

Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi » Thu Apr 30, 2015 5:24 pm

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and apologies for my delayed reply.

Tomorrow I'm going to start a retreat (sitting) and then follow it up immediately as a server. Wish me luck!

nfdod

Post by nfdod » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:54 pm

If you see this: I think you shouldn't have a problem with sitting the immediately next following the one that you serve. The center should be okay with that. Or promise to serve the 3rd one and sit the 2nd one...

Good luck

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:13 am

Greetings,
Dhammabodhi wrote:Tomorrow I'm going to start a retreat (sitting) and then follow it up immediately as a server. Wish me luck!
Good luck!

:thumbsup:

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Do not force others, including children, by any means whatsoever, to adopt your views, whether by authority, threat, money, propaganda, or even education." - Ven. Thich Nhat Hanh

"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"One discerns wrong view as wrong view, and right view as right view. This is one's right view." (MN 117)

Ben

Post by Ben » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:45 am

Dhammabodhi wrote:Thanks to everyone for their suggestions, and apologies for my delayed reply.

Tomorrow I'm going to start a retreat (sitting) and then follow it up immediately as a server. Wish me luck!

I hope you have an excellent retreat experience!
Kind regards,
Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: ben.dhammawheel@gmail.com..

Dhammabodhi

Post by Dhammabodhi » Sat Jun 06, 2015 5:39 pm

Thanks everyone! I had a very peaceful time up at Dhamma Sikhara, in the foothills of the Himalayas. I recommend this centre to anyone who wants to do a course in India.

As for the serving, it was a rich experience, although very difficult for me! It is a great opportunity to practice metta bhavana and dissolution of the ego. I was not perfect, but whenever things got unsettling and out of hand, I realized one has to do a course correction and to remind oneself why one is there in the first place: all our actions are oriented towards one goal during dhamma service, which is that the meditators experience great peace and happiness. Serving food to meditators was my particular favourite, I found it easy to practice metta at this time and my mind calmed after the usual rush to prepare food. :juggling: :sage:

Unfortunately, I had to return after two courses due to office duties. Would have loved to stay there longer!

I request others to share their experiences of dhamma service and how it benefitted them!

:heart: ,
Dhammabodhi