Couple of questions after 10 day retreat

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
Topofdeehead

Couple of questions after 10 day retreat

Post by Topofdeehead »

Greetings. I'm new to this forum and firstly wanted to say hello to everyone :)

I just returned from a 10 day Dhamma Dharra retreat and really loved it. I do however have a couple of questions and am interested in hearing your experiences. Two obstacles that I came across when scanning my body were:

a) My eyes move whenever I scan through my body as if I'm trying to look at that part of my body as I work, and
b) I can't scan without envisioning the body part I'm scanning (I don't get a photographic image of my leg in my mind per se, more just a hazy shape of a leg).

The AT informed me that neither were a part of vipassana technique but for the life of me I still can't get past either one. Do you guys have any suggestions/techniques for getting past these obstacles?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

P.S. I would be happy to write a trip report as experienced by a complete newbie if it would be of service to others on the forum. My only reservation was not wanting to put any preconceived ideas into anyone's head still thinking of trying a Goenka retreat.
retrofuturist

Re: Couple of questions after 10 day retreat

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,
Topofdeehead wrote:The AT informed me that neither were a part of vipassana technique but for the life of me I still can't get past either one. Do you guys have any suggestions/techniques for getting past these obstacles?
Not within the confines of a "scanning" technique, no.... unless perhaps you want to try keeping your eyes open and keeping your eyes fixed on an external object as you scan. Maybe that way you can disconnect these phenomena.

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

You are right neither are what you should be doing.

It's because of the minds habit to think "you" are inside your head looking out at your body, wheras in fact you are fully inhabiting your body.

This habit will be stronger if you are a thinker, or a visual person, among other things the technique is supposed to break this view so you see yourself as a whole person not a little controller in the mind operating the body like a puppet.

I don't think there is any answer but to keep working at it, realising the problem is half the battle, just keep returning to feeling the body with the body every time you notice it.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
Ben

Post by Ben »

Topofdeehead wrote:Greetings. I'm new to this forum and firstly wanted to say hello to everyone :)

I just returned from a 10 day Dhamma Dharra retreat and really loved it. I do however have a couple of questions and am interested in hearing your experiences. Two obstacles that I came across when scanning my body were:

a) My eyes move whenever I scan through my body as if I'm trying to look at that part of my body as I work, and
b) I can't scan without envisioning the body part I'm scanning (I don't get a photographic image of my leg in my mind per se, more just a hazy shape of a leg).
Don't worry about it. A lot of people do it as new students. Your AT is right. When you catch yourself visualizing, try and focus on the discrete sensation in that part of the body. Over time, you'll stop visualizing.
For some people it takes a long time to get established and work according to instruction.
Returning from your retreat, don't be surprised if you lose sensitivity of sensation. If that happens to you - also, don't worry about it. Just observe the anicca characteristic of whatever sensation arises when you move your focus of attention throughout your body.
kind regards,

Ben
“No lists of things to be done. The day providential to itself. The hour. There is no later. This is later. All things of grace and beauty such that one holds them to one's heart have a common provenance in pain. Their birth in grief and ashes.”
- Cormac McCarthy, The Road

Learn this from the waters:
in mountain clefts and chasms,
loud gush the streamlets,
but great rivers flow silently.
- Sutta Nipata 3.725

Compassionate Hands Foundation (Buddhist aid in Myanmar) • Buddhist Global ReliefUNHCR

e: [email protected]..
Topofdeehead

Post by Topofdeehead »

Thanks for all the helpful responses guys. One of my character defects is to beat myself up as soon as I don't get something right so this is a good lesson and an opportunity to practice. I did notice that (being a thinker) I do see myself as a puppet master trying to control this body- it was interesting to realize this and what it's implications are on my practice. I tried keeping my eyes open when scanning and it definitely worked but I noticed my meditation wasn't as deep as it had been- perhaps just more practice. And I also noticed my blind spots seemed to have increased and sensitivity lowered since returning from the retreat and it's good to know that's all normal as well.

If I get completely honest with myself I still practice with the goal of having one of those celestial/out of body/etc. experiences I've heard others have had. I do understand this is not the point and I'm doing my best to just observe and be mindful. Thanks again.

Rich
Monkey Mind

Post by Monkey Mind »

Topofdeehead wrote:One of my character defects is to beat myself up as soon as I don't get something right so this is a good lesson and an opportunity to practice.
You've spent a lifetime conceiving of yourself a certain way. This technique is something completely different, and will take some time to get used to. I say compassion for yourself as you learn new habits.
"As I am, so are others;
as others are, so am I."
Having thus identified self and others,
harm no one nor have them harmed.

Sutta Nipāta 3.710
Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix »

Topofdeehead wrote:If I get completely honest with myself I still practice with the goal of having one of those celestial/out of body/etc. experiences I've heard others have had.
Some people have intense experiences but I assure you they are neither celestial nor out of body, in the end they are just something else to let go of.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
retrofuturist

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings Rich,
Topofdeehead wrote:If I get completely honest with myself I still practice with the goal of having one of those celestial/out of body/etc. experiences I've heard others have had. I do understand this is not the point and I'm doing my best to just observe and be mindful.
To see how the Buddha shaped the lesser goals of his cousin Nanda towards something more rewarding, see this current study group topic...

Ud 3.2 Nanda Sutta
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=11908" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

See also...

MN 29: Mahasaropama Sutta
http://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitaka ... .than.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Metta,
Retro. :)
"Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things."
startagain

Post by startagain »

Hey Rich,

Glad we can continue working on the Path through this forum. You're first entry is on-point.

Peace,

Rich
Topofdeehead

Post by Topofdeehead »

Retro and Goof,

Thanks for your posts. I certainly become easily attached to things and my behavior can be short sided and and governed by cravings. I appreciate the reminders to just keep practicing and to let go. I am trying :smile:
Parth

Post by Parth »

Hi,

I also suffered from this, the way it started was after coming back from one of the retreats at a sub conscious level so as to have as much deep experience focussing eyes on the body part started. It infect started giving me headache as well.

The way out probably is
1. As soon as you find yourself doing it, stop it.
2. Start on anapana for some time
3. Once you have mind better concentrated, carry on with vipassana

Hope this helps.

Regards and Metta

Parth