Satipatthana for grief

On the cultivation of insight/wisdom
befriend

Satipatthana for grief

Post by befriend »

The mahasatipatthana sutta says this is the direct path for the purification of beings for the overcoming of sorrow lamentation pain grief and despair, how does one relate to grief in terms of overcoming it using this sutta? I still weep from a deceased relative who died in their youth. Should I use the refrain I experience an unpleasant worldly feeling? I understand grief may be with me for a long time but in this sutta it says it can be overcome.
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.
Inedible

Re: Satipatthana for grief

Post by Inedible »

It works better if you give your feelings attention and listen to them. Don't try to change them, push them down, or make them go away. A lot of current approaches suggest feeling them to find a location in or around your body for where you feel them and what they would look like if they had a more tangible form. It can be different every time. How you relate to your feelings is important. If it takes time to make sure you hear everything they have to tell you then it will just have to take that time. It is faster to do it now than to realize decades later that you didn't do it and they are still affecting you.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

befriend wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:27 pm The mahasatipatthana sutta says this is the direct path for the purification of beings for the overcoming of sorrow lamentation pain grief and despair, how does one relate to grief in terms of overcoming it using this sutta? I still weep from a deceased relative who died in their youth. Should I use the refrain I experience an unpleasant worldly feeling? I understand grief may be with me for a long time but in this sutta it says it can be overcome.
because feeling is not self, subject to passing away so u wont be terrified by it...

it like u dont get terrified when u see the water boils in to vapour on sunny day
dont think
JohnK

Post by JohnK »

You might look into Bhikkhu Analayo's book, Mindfully Facing Disease and Death.
https://www.windhorsepublications.com/p ... ist-texts/
For example, the chapter "Conclusion and Meditation Instructions," includes instructions based on the ones in the Girimananda Sutta.
https://suttacentral.net/an10.60

Additional thought: overcoming dukkha (including grief) is the long-range goal of satipatthana; that does not mean that, prior to that, one can necessarily, selectively overcome instances of dukkha (which seems to be motivated more by aversion than a desire for full freedom).
Those who grasp at perceptions & views wander the internet creating friction. [based on Sn4:9,v.847]
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

befriend wrote: Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:27 pm The mahasatipatthana sutta says this is the direct path for the purification of beings for the overcoming of sorrow lamentation pain grief and despair, how does one relate to grief in terms of overcoming it using this sutta? I still weep from a deceased relative who died in their youth. Should I use the refrain I experience an unpleasant worldly feeling? I understand grief may be with me for a long time but in this sutta it says it can be overcome.
Hi Befriend
Sorry to hear about this.
However, I can be related to you.
When you get old, you will see more and more of your loved one separate from you.
The way I face the situation is by knowing, that I will also get their soon.
If you know that is how the nature is, what would you do now?
Sorrow lamentation pain grief and despair is a form of anger.
That is the things did not go the way you are expected.
Be aware of your anger.
Satipathana helps you to stay in the present moment not the past or the future.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I would second the encouragement to let the feelings come in breath meditation. You may weep, strong feelings will arise but if you let them come and watch and acknowledge them you will be OK. If you find it too much, you may need to speak to a teacher or therapist to help work your way through it.