Burgs?Books?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Akashad

Burgs?Books?

Post by Akashad » Sat May 18, 2019 3:18 pm

Has anybody ever read his books? or learned from him.What were your experiences? All i know is his the first or one of the first western lay student of pa auk sayadaw to master the entire 40 meditation object.The entire samatha path.Thats the entire 8 jhanas with different objects.i am.beside.myself.I have read Shaila Catherine's book and Tina rassmussen and Stephen Snyder books and i was wondering if you've read his books does anyone know??

is it written like these authors or is it more autobiographical.I cant seem to find a sample or e-book version.There's only a few western lay students of the sayadaw who have written books and i know shaila catherine has mastered the higher jhanas because the Sayadaw himself mentioned it during a dhamma talk in the USA Nov 2008 about how his western students didn't want to practice vippasanna from the fourth jhana and he had to teach them 32 parts and kasina because they wanted to to launch from the higher jhanas like shaila,etc lol.Even though he said you could do it from second jhana,fine..

i'm trying to collect books from students of pa auk sayadaw and accidentally came across Burgs has anyone ever had experience meditating with Burgs or reading his books?How did you find his teachings?

Note: he explains about samadhi in 37:00

Sam Vara

Re: Burgs?Books?

Post by Sam Vara » Sat May 18, 2019 3:56 pm

There was an earlier DW discussion about Burgs here:

viewtopic.php?t=23537

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Sat May 18, 2019 4:22 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:56 pm
There was an earlier DW discussion about Burgs here:

viewtopic.php?t=23537
thanks i didn't realise there was a thread about it.I never heard of him ever.I don't know if he's enlightened i don't actually care.Trying to figure out if someone's enlightened is the domain of a Buddha so i won't even thread those waters.It might mean like a different type of enlightenment like sotapanna i think that's feasible since he has mastered the jhanas i dont see anything stopping him.Like imagine mastering all 40 meditation objects and not practicing vippasanna to atleast breakthrough.i am DECEASED. :computerproblem:

Also i read somewhere that you can't be a lay arahant for long they have a short life span of one day (i really dont remember where i read that)unless they join the sangha/monastic order?? and if you do that then you can't mention anything about enlightenment.But it's normal reaction if somebody started talking about liberation or enlightenment and isn't in robes...i would be rather careful too but i do find him very insightful.

Anyways what im trying to get at is i don't know if this guy is enlightened or a sotapanna but i believe that he has mastered the jhanas just judging by his insights.That's my 2 cents. :reading:

budo

Post by budo » Sat May 18, 2019 5:16 pm

Good video.

As my mother told me from a young age, nothing is free.

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Sat May 18, 2019 11:35 pm

I like how he talks about cultivating samadhi as being a "choice". We choose what we do with our time.One monk answered when people asked him how do they know if they have parami for jhana and he said it's not about Paramis it's about skillfullness.It makes this practice more about conscious choices rather than mystical experience that appears out of nowhere. Especially when it comes to visudhimagga jhana it truly relies on long sitting periods to be able to gather momentum but not everyone can spend that much time meditating because of work or school and at the end of the day it just boils down to choice like burg says.So just choosing.Also doesn't invalidate people who meditate 20min a day I think what Tina Rassmussen teaches is keep doing that maintaining a stable meditation period and wait for a silent retreat to come up to really gather momentum for absorption.I think some people can enter absorption in a few minutes.I use the word enter very loosely no body enters jhana.but for the average meditator at pa auk it takes several days I think 20 days of continuous 9 hour meditations to gather enough momentum so for the average person it's a lot of time needed to invest.And this investment truly boils down to CHOICES and not paramis or superpowers or being a stream enterer or some special being etc.you just CHOOSE to meditate for long periods in order to form the conditions for absorption to occur.🙏

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Sun May 19, 2019 1:01 am

Where is it stated that he was or is a student of Pa Auk Sayadaw? I found his glancing references to having attended Pa Auk Sayadaw retreat or retreats. Are there any statements by Pa Auk Sayadaw that he would be happy with Burgs teaching?

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Sun May 19, 2019 2:38 am

Caodemarte wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 1:01 am
Where is it stated that he was or is a student of Pa Auk Sayadaw? I found his glancing references to having attended Pa Auk Sayadaw retreat or retreats. Are there any statements by Pa Auk Sayadaw that he would be happy with Burgs teaching?
He is a student of pa auk sayadaw and another hindu teacher and dzogchen teacher, he lists his teachers on his website and it's also listed on this youtube video conducted by conscious tv.Conscious tv interviews various buddhist teachers including Tina Rasmussen and Stephen Snyder who also trained under the sayadaw I don't think they would be making things up when they say he's a student of pa auk sayadaw.

Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte » Sun May 19, 2019 3:16 am

Akashad wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 2:38 am
Caodemarte wrote:
He is a student of pa auk sayadaw and another hindu teacher and dzogchen teacher, he lists his teachers on his website and it's also listed on this youtube video conducted by conscious tv.Conscious tv interviews various buddhist teachers including Tina Rasmussen and Stephen Snyder who also trained under the sayadaw I don't think they would be making things up when they say he's a student of pa auk sayadaw.
Are there any statements by Pa Auk Sayadaw that he would be happy with Burgs teaching? On Burgs website, when you drill down, there is only a claim that he has met Dodrupchen Rinpoche and been to Burma. On Pa Auk Sayadaw there is only a bio of Pa Auk Sayadaw. Maybe there are are more detailed claims elsewhere. It would seem uncharacteristic of Pa Auk Sayadaw to recommend the teachings of someone who claims so many non-sutta, non-commentarial, non-Theravada influences. I was under the impression that PA was pretty strict in this regard. Burgs may be good or not. I don’t know. It doesn’t seem that he is recognized as a teacher of any specific Buddhist school by any school as distinct from having studied Buddhism.

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Sun May 19, 2019 4:08 am

Caodemarte wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:16 am
Akashad wrote:
Caodemarte wrote:
Are there any statements by Pa Auk Sayadaw that he would be happy with Burgs teaching? On Burgs website, when you drill down, there is only a claim that he has met Dodrupchen Rinpoche and been to Burma. On Pa Auk Sayadaw there is only a bio of Pa Auk Sayadaw. Maybe there are are more detailed claims elsewhere. It would seem uncharacteristic of Pa Auk Sayadaw to recommend the teachings of someone who claims so many non-sutta, non-commentarial, non-Theravada influences. I was under the impression that PA was pretty strict in this regard. Burgs may be good or not. I don’t know. It doesn’t seem that he is recognized as a teacher of any specific Buddhist school by any school as distinct from having studied Buddhism.
I don't know if there is any statement by pa auk sayadaw you'll have to contact the monastery to find out.I agree pa auk is very strict about who teaches the jhanas I remember a Burmese monk saying that it's one of the things he considers when propagating the dhamma. but I don't think burg is teaching the jhanas (exclusively)he's more holistic or takes up other traditions and his book is more autobiographical I will have to read it to find if there's any notes or foreword from the monastery.he doesn't mentions the jhanas in his insight timer meditation it's more about calm,sky,nature stuff. more focused on calming the mind,peace stuff.I will read it so I can find out how long he stayed in burma and what he did at the monastery and contact the monastery to find out after.

budo

Post by budo » Sun May 19, 2019 8:45 am

Caodemarte wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 3:16 am
Akashad wrote:
Caodemarte wrote:
You bring up a good point.

He's probably not endorsed by Pau Auk like Shaila Catherine is.
Last edited by retrofuturist on Sun May 19, 2019 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: TOS2d content removed

eto

Post by eto » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:49 am

I came across Burgs about 10 years ago when a friend told me about him and gave me his autobiography. It was from his book that I learned about Pa Auk and ended up staying there for some time. I've also read a few of his training manuals and they seem pretty good. Overall I'm not sure exactly how I feel about him, but my friend, who spent about 3 months with him on one of his first long retreats, believes he is the real deal.
Last edited by eto on Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

eto

Post by eto » Sat Jul 20, 2019 10:51 am

[/quote]
Anyways what im trying to get at is i don't know if this guy is enlightened or a sotapanna but i believe that he has mastered the jhanas just judging by his insights.That's my 2 cents. :reading:
[/quote]

In his autobiography he talks about his experience of entering Nibanna.

JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant » Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:33 pm

Akashad wrote:
Sat May 18, 2019 3:18 pm
I cant seem to find a sample or e-book version.
Did you ever find an ebook? I'm interested, but not enough to buy anything. My dhamma reading list is so long already!

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Sun Jul 21, 2019 1:11 pm

No I didn't find any ebook sample. :reading: I think I'll just buy it at this point.