Best Retreat Options For The First 4 Jhanas

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Mr.SeanStewart

Best Retreat Options For The First 4 Jhanas

Post by Mr.SeanStewart »

hey friends,

I am a Goenka student for the past 10 yrs, iv been reading the book by henepola gunaratana and Daniel M.Ingram Iv now come interested to really focus on establishing myself in the first 4 jhanas -

In my experience at the 10 day Goenka retreats - I can reach to access concentration after about 4 days and by day 8 a whole new level of sensing my body arises but these retreats are very short and by the time I feel i'm getting somewhere its day 10 and the speaking starts.

Would love your suggestions on what are the best options for longer retreats under a qualified teacher who understands Jhanas -

I have been to Pa-Auk center in Burma before but may be because I was sick and/or not ready yet - wasn't able to get much from it.

I am now considering henepola gunaratana at bhavanasociety however they only offer a 7-day jhana retreat - somehow I sense this is not enough time

Thank you so much
JamesTheGiant

Re: Best Retreat Options For The First 4 Jhanas

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Hard question. There are heaps of meditation places, but not many knowledgeable in teaching jhana from experience.

There are some very long retreat centres... I can't remember what country, where you can just stay for as long as you like, months at a time, but there's not much teaching. Just meditation mostly in your own cell.
I can find out if you like. Maybe they are in Malaysia or Burma...

If you're rich and in the USA, spirit rock or Barre Massachusetts offer long retreats for a freaking fortune per day.

There's a monastery or retreat center on Kangaroo Island in Australia where you can pay and get they give you a hut and food every day, and leave you alone otherwise.

Hmm, sorry i can't help more.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Kangaroo Island in Australia
What is the link?
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

SarathW wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:03 am
Kangaroo Island in Australia
What is the link?
I don't know sorry. I just heard about it, there was a guy who did a three year retreat there.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Mr.SeanStewart

Post by Mr.SeanStewart »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:47 am Hard question. There are heaps of meditation places, but not many knowledgeable in teaching jhana from experience.

There are some very long retreat centres... I can't remember what country, where you can just stay for as long as you like, months at a time, but there's not much teaching. Just meditation mostly in your own cell.
I can find out if you like. Maybe they are in Malaysia or Burma...

If you're rich and in the USA, spirit rock or Barre Massachusetts offer long retreats for a freaking fortune per day.

There's a monastery or retreat center on Kangaroo Island in Australia where you can pay and get they give you a hut and food every day, and leave you alone otherwise.

Hmm, sorry i can't help more.
Thank you so much I'm not rich at the moment so those options are not very viable.

Alternatively I'm considering listining/reading and getting help from other people from here who have attained Jhana and then register to do a I a 20 day sit with Goenka meditation - which would give me 9 days of anapana then go there and do 10 days of service ahead of time develop good concentration then head to a 20 day and this way I get the most chance of reaching jhana
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

SarathW wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:12 am I found this.

http://detongling.org/retreats/
Ah yes I think that must be it. Thanks Sarath.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I tend to take Ajahn Thanissaro's advice and focus on the breath, not the jhanas, and I practice at home. It has helped me to make my home environment as peaceful and meditation-friendly as possible.
one_awakening

Post by one_awakening »

dharmacorps wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:54 pm I tend to take Ajahn Thanissaro's advice and focus on the breath, not the jhanas, and I practice at home. It has helped me to make my home environment as peaceful and meditation-friendly as possible.
This is what I do also.
“You only lose what you cling to”