High Blood Pressure

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
LG2V

Re: High Blood Pressure

Post by LG2V »

I highly recommend body contemplation meditation, specifically around the heart and cardiovascular system. You don't just have to stick to specific organs. You can contemplate the aorta, carotid arteries, veins, lungs, heart fascia, etc. If you follow that with calming meditation, such as breath meditation, the beneficial effects are enhanced. I've had heart problems, so I can relate.

P.S. grab some ashwagandha and fish oil. They're great.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

Pondera wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 am My point is that a great deal of the power of the heart beat comes from the apex. And there is unseen tension there. Relaxing and letting go of that tension begins a process which can lead to tranquility and pleasure not of the flesh. Thank you justsit for the correction.
Could you instruct me on how to do this, please? If it is a natural outgrowth of practising Samatha, I am currently researching 'how to' do it, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding a concise explanation. I've read up on Buddhism and Vipassana meditation, and I've also read a couple of books (I remember one was called "Mindfulness Bliss and Beyond)", so I am only after the bullet point version.

About all I can remember from my reading is that Samatha is more to do with relaxation. But my problem is that from what I have read, the Vipassana and Samatha techniques seem to be identical, so I'm obviously missing some crucial aspect.
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Here's an excerpt from the Anapanasati Sutta. It's a good intro to breath meditation:
Mindfulness of In-&-Out Breathing

"Now how is mindfulness of in-&-out breathing developed & pursued so as to be of great fruit, of great benefit?

"There is the case where a monk, having gone to the wilderness, to the shade of a tree, or to an empty building, sits down folding his legs crosswise, holding his body erect, and setting mindfulness to the fore.[1] Always mindful, he breathes in; mindful he breathes out.

"Breathing in long, he discerns, 'I am breathing in long'; or breathing out long, he discerns, 'I am breathing out long.'
Or breathing in short, he discerns, 'I am breathing in short'; or breathing out short, he discerns, 'I am breathing out short.'
He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the entire body.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the entire body.'
He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming bodily fabrication.'[3] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming bodily fabrication.'

"He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to rapture.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to rapture.'
He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to pleasure.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to pleasure.'
He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to mental fabrication.'[4] He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to mental fabrication.'
He trains himself, 'I will breathe in calming mental fabrication.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out calming mental fabrication.'

"He trains himself, 'I will breathe in sensitive to the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out sensitive to the mind.'
He trains himself, 'I will breathe in satisfying the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out satisfying the mind.'
He trains himself, 'I will breathe in steadying the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out steadying the mind.'
He trains himself, 'I will breathe in releasing the mind.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out releasing the mind.'

"He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on inconstancy.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on inconstancy.'
He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on dispassion [literally, fading].' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on dispassion.'
He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on cessation.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on cessation.'
He trains himself, 'I will breathe in focusing on relinquishment.' He trains himself, 'I will breathe out focusing on relinquishment.'

"This is how mindfulness of in-&-out breathing is developed & pursued so as to be of great fruit, of great benefit.

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Nothing wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:53 am
Pondera wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 am My point is that a great deal of the power of the heart beat comes from the apex. And there is unseen tension there. Relaxing and letting go of that tension begins a process which can lead to tranquility and pleasure not of the flesh. Thank you justsit for the correction.
Could you instruct me on how to do this, please? If it is a natural outgrowth of practising Samatha, I am currently researching 'how to' do it, but I'm having a bit of trouble finding a concise explanation. I've read up on Buddhism and Vipassana meditation, and I've also read a couple of books (I remember one was called "Mindfulness Bliss and Beyond)", so I am only after the bullet point version.

About all I can remember from my reading is that Samatha is more to do with relaxation. But my problem is that from what I have read, the Vipassana and Samatha techniques seem to be identical, so I'm obviously missing some crucial aspect.
Keep in mind that the method I’ll give you is not a Buddhist one. It’s something I discovered on my own. And it rings true with jhanas in some aspects but not others. The fourth meditation for example has “neither pleasure nor pain” as it’s fruit. This is one reason among many that I have faith in my own self directed practice. I’ll send you a PM.

Cheers,

Pondera
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

Pondera wrote: Sat Sep 15, 2018 12:31 am
Nothing wrote: Fri Sep 14, 2018 10:53 am

Keep in mind that the method I’ll give you is not a Buddhist one. It’s something I discovered on my own. And it rings true with jhanas in some aspects but not others. The fourth meditation for example has “neither pleasure nor pain” as it’s fruit. This is one reason among many that I have faith in my own self directed practice. I’ll send you a PM.

Cheers,

Pondera
Thank you Pondera
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Meditation alone simply won't cut it. You'll need to combine it with good diet, sufficient sleep time, and daily exercises (outdoor cardios would be best). From the article below:
Good posting Santa.
My experience is this.
Exercises immediately (say seven days) contribute to reducing your blood pressure by about 10 points. (Walking meditation 2 km)
A good diet will contribute in long run and it takes say about six months to reduce your blood pressure by about another 10 points. (one meal a day, reduce food intake or avoid meal after 5.00PM)
Samatha meditation will help in long run say 12 months to reduce your blood pressure by about another 10 points.
Samatha meditation will help to reduce your pulse rate but it does not necessarily reduce the blood pressure.
Recommended blood pressure by world health organisation is 120/80mm even though it is normal to have 140/90mm depend on your age.
I also recommend taking a very low dose of medication as it has the 24-hour effect in reducing your blood pressure.
Medications are addictive.
High blood pressure is not a sickness. It is a symptom of an underlying health problem. Many doctors treat the symptom not the underline problem. We have to treat the body and the mind at the same time.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

I've currently started taking blood pressure readings. When I am at rest, sitting down, relaxing, it's around 138 / 88. It only seems to spike (150 / 99 or thereabouts) when I am anxious.

Out of curiosity, I've recently been taking my blood pressure right after meditating. I don't move, because the unit is right next to me. When I meditate, I feel relaxed; I'm not agitated or frustrated in any way, and I'm certainly not feeling anxious. I meditate for 30 minutes and I've been doing this for 4 months. I can't explain what's happening here, but these are my blood pressure readings right after meditating:

150 / 101
149 / 100
151 / 101
147 / 99

As I say, when I'm sitting down taking it, it's around 138 / 88. I'd have thought it would be similar because I'm relaxed after meditating.

EDIT: I should add that I eat healthily and sleep well and have nothing on my mind at the moment.

EDIT: This is interesting

Meditation alone doesn't lower blood pressure: study
www.reuters.com/article/us-meditation-i ... XU20131004

And the end of the 3rd paragraph here:

Respiration and heart rates remained unchanged. Blood pressure increased slightly during meditation
http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10. ... 6711414625
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

SarathW wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:57 am Samatha meditation will help to reduce your pulse rate but it does not necessarily reduce the blood pressure.
Recommended blood pressure by world health organisation is 120/80mm even though it is normal to have 140/90mm depend on your age.
I also recommend taking a very low dose of medication as it has the 24-hour effect in reducing your blood pressure.
Medications are addictive.
High blood pressure is not a sickness. It is a symptom of an underlying health problem. Many doctors treat the symptom not the underline problem. We have to treat the body and the mind at the same time.
This is very dangerous advice Sarath, and has the potential to cause great harm if followed. High blood pressure is absolutely a sickness called Hypertension, and a major cause of sudden death and heart attacks.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

High blood pressure is absolutely a sickness called Hypertension, and a major cause of sudden death and heart attacks.
The way I understand hypertension is a sickness like a fever.
Fever is the symptom of another major problem even though people can die from fever.
What I am saying is when you get malaria it is not enough to treat only the fever.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

SarathW wrote: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:01 pm
The way I understand hypertension is a sickness like a fever.
Fever is the symptom of another major problem even though people can die from fever.
What I am saying is when you get malaria it is not enough to treat only the fever.
I get what you are saying Sarath, the problem is your medical understanding is wrong. Hypertension is a primary disease as well as a secondary one. Hence the term "Essential hypertension".
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Justsit

Post by Justsit »

SarathW wrote: Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:11 am What causes high blood pressure?
https://www.heartfoundation.org.au/your ... d-pressure
That's a good basic discussion, but I think OP might be looking for information a little more in depth. Here is a slightly more thorough explanation, still in laypersons' terms: https://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-con ... c-20373410
Nothing

Post by Nothing »

Thank you for the advice and links

I've managed to lower my BP a few notches after meditation by sitting down with my back against the wall and legs stretched out. It's now more manageable and I'm also more relaxed.

Trouble now, is I think I'm sort of 'cheating' with the above posture. :)