Unwholesome Jhananga?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
SarathW

Unwholesome Jhananga?

Post by SarathW »

Interestingly I came across the answer to a question I was contemplating on for some time.
It appears Vitakka, Vicara, Pithi, Sukha, and Ekagata also applies to unwholesome mental states as well.
Is there a Sutta support for this?
The following video is in Sinhalese.

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
JamesTheGiant

Re: Unwholesome Jhananga?

Post by JamesTheGiant »

Darth Vader had a meditation chamber.... probably some unwholesome jhana going on in there.
paul

Post by paul »

The information is in Table II., Formation- Group, Appendix, Buddhist Dictionary (also an appendix in the Vism.), where those formations are shown among the eleven general psychological elements, not necessarily unwholesome.
The source would be in the lists in the Abhidhamma, not in the suttas.
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

JamesTheGiant wrote: Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:05 am Darth Vader had a meditation chamber.... probably some unwholesome jhana going on in there.
Darth Vader is one of my role models.

EDIT: thats a f*cking cool meditation chamber
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha