How can you practice Brahmavihara and Anatta the same time?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
User1249x

Re: How can you practice Brhamavihara and Anatta the same time?

Post by User1249x »

i can contemplate Name&Form (senses, sense objects & elements) establishing the perception of anicca, anatta & dukkha in the internal and the external
having thus established the perception of anicca it is natural that perception of equanimity will be established
having thus established the perception of dukkha i can contemplate the origination and the escape
by contemplating escape i can arrive at the drawbacks of ill-will element & the drawbacks of cruelty element
having arrived at the drawbacks of ill-will i can contemplate the benefit of metta as means of escaping Dukkha
having arrived at the drawbacks of cruelty i can contemplate the benefit of compassion as a mean of escaping Dukkha

that would be a practice of Brahmavihara and Anatta at the same time more or less,
as i see it anyway

Imho It is actually quite powerful when one connects it all like this by discursive thinking, as in talking to oneself
it is like logical deduction and arriving at by reasoning, makes an impression
DooDoot

Re: How can you practice Brhamavihara and Anatta the same time?

Post by DooDoot »

User1249x wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 12:55 pm practice of Brahmavihara and Anatta
"Beings" ("satta") are said to be merely "conventions"; that all there really is are merely constructed (sankhara) elements (dhatu), as follows:
Why now do you assume 'a being'?
Mara, have you grasped a view?
This is a heap of sheer constructions:
Here no being is found.

Just as, with an assemblage of parts,
The word 'chariot' is used,
So, when the aggregates are present,
There's the convention 'a being.'

SN 5.10
However, just because all conscious experience is merely elements (dhatu), this does not mean the mind (citta) must have aversion, hatred &/or violence towards those elements (dhatu). As Osho Rajneesh said: "Hug a tree". Hug earth, wind, fire, water, space & consciousness elements (dhatu). :heart:
Attachments
tree huh.jpg
tree huh.jpg (10.36 KiB) Viewed 1486 times
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati