Eyes Open Or Closed During Practice?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Caodemarte

Re: Eyes Open Or Closed During Practice?

Post by Caodemarte » Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:48 am

I was advised to keep my eyes open.
Last edited by Caodemarte on Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS » Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:58 am

I've practiced with all 3 major Buddhist traditions; vajrayana, zen/chan, vipassana and have found that in general vajrayana and zen advise to keep eyes open whereas vipassana and Theravada generally advise to keep eyes closed (with some exceptions). I like the eyes closed, it helps focus attention inward, but will open sometimes.

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:28 am

I walk with eyes open but generally stand or sit with eyes closed, unless I am having trouble staying awake. That's how I was taught but most teachers also advise figuring out what works for the student.

Mike

pilgrim

Post by pilgrim » Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:40 am

If one is sleepy, it may be helpful to open the eyes just a little to let some light in, but otherwise they should be closed.

“Reverend Sir, if there are six holes in a given ant-hill, and a lizard enters the ant-hill by one of these holes, he that would catch the lizard stops up five of the six holes, leaving the sixth hole open, and catches the lizard in the hole by which he entered. Precisely so should you deal with the six doors of the senses; close five of the six doors, and devote your attention to the door of the mind.”
~ Dhammapada Commentary

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:39 am

DNS wrote:
Sun Mar 18, 2018 1:58 am
I've practiced with all 3 major Buddhist traditions; vajrayana, zen/chan, vipassana and have found that in general vajrayana and zen advise to keep eyes open whereas vipassana and Theravada generally advise to keep eyes closed (with some exceptions).
That's also been my experience. I think it's interesting to try different methods and see what the differences are.
Buddha save me from new-agers!