How to reach the 1st Jhana?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Kamran

Re: How to reach the 1st Jhana?

Post by Kamran »

Nwad wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:14 pm
Kamran wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:07 am When I read Leigh Brasington description below I was shocked that it was ***identical*** to a wonderful meditation experience I had but have not since been able to reproduce.

http://www.leighb.com/jhana3.htm
I had one too, but i dont know how i did it, so never more arrived. I was sitting in metta practice, and then, when concentrated on heart, from my heart there is arrived a HUUUGE vawe of pleasure !! It rised and rised!! So HUGE that i'he never see it before, so HUGE that actually i get affraid :tongue: (like young Buddha under the tree near the river who get affraid of jhanna pleasure? Dont remeber the sutta number..) And when i get affraid of a such huge pleasure, and my mind tryed to take it under control, rather than let it go and let it grow - its stopped...

Never see it again... :broke:
Not just the experience was the same as described by Leigh Brasington, but the method that led the experience was also identical to what he describes.
thepea

Post by thepea »

Nwad wrote: Fri Feb 02, 2018 6:14 pm
I had one too, but i dont know how i did it, so never more arrived. I was sitting in metta practice, and then, when concentrated on heart, from my heart there is arrived a HUUUGE vawe of pleasure !! It rised and rised!! So HUGE that i'he never see it before, so HUGE that actually i get affraid
Yes, this is a form of absorption, the mind is focused on Kaya. The mental construct of fear or excitement has the affect of multiplying this sensation or changing it. As one activates annicca through meditation they begin to explore this with calm and balance, the sensation stabilizes and begins to refine allowing one to absorb deeper 2-3-4th jhanas.
In my opinion it is less about growing this seemingly pleasant sensation(suffering) but more about lessening and coming out of this sensations.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Thank you Thepea and Kamran to your reply!

Ysterday, after reading a chapter about Dhutanga in Visudhimagga, before going asleep, i does my meditation session.
The theme was dukkha.
After scanning all parts of my body and get to "acces concentration" which was clear and open, with body calm and little numb, i left my mind on pleasant sensation in my hands. After some minutes my mind and feelings becomes to change. I felt my mind being absorbed, my feeling becoming more perceptive (sounds become more loud, smouth lightlings in my closed eyes become lighter, my body became complitely numb, i get very very very HOT and even get some sue on my moustache lol and as the firts time there is some powerfull feeling and my heart rythm explosed, with breathing become very fast because of all of that sensations !

As my theme was dukkha my mind dont interpret this powerfull feeling as "pleasure" and this heart beating and breath rythm increase as "fear". And i think that this great heat sensation was because my concentration on "hand touch" feeling. Anyway, what is intresting is that my body became complitely numb, i no more felt it, just feeling of numbness, and as sensations was very strong i lost my perception of time... After imerging of that state i asked my self is my perception of heart beating and breathing fast was not just perception of some kind of "acceleration mode" like some movie which you accelerate ... i dont know.. but if this state would be more stable with not excited mind who break it, it seems to be pretty realistic to seat like this a couple of hours or so...

I dont know if it was some kind of absorbtion but i know that its works and how it works, so i will try to explore that :toilet:

PS watching a little bit closer i think that this heat in body appear because my concentratiin of mind was nit realy about pleasent feeling in hands, but about "heat" feeling percived as "pleasent"... Kasina?
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

i once got really hot too and paniced when sitting for a longer time. I think there is a mention about meditator becoming very hot on occasion in the Vsm as well. It did not happen again to me since and i think it was just something off and it is not something one should pay much attention to.
pinit29

Post by pinit29 »

Firsr of all, please excuse my english. I'm not the native english speaker and I didn't learn about Buddism in English (I learned it in Thai). So i don't know many buddism english words. But I will try my best explained it to you and lead you to 1st jhana.

Would you like to learn how to achieve 1th jhana (even 4th jhana if you wish) through the game called "Tug of war"?...Yes, tug of war. I'm not kidding

In this game, there are 3 requirements to be able to play. 1. One player on one side 2. Another player on another side 3. A rope.

To win this game is to pull the opponent to your side. And your winning prize is 4th jhana.

Now let me explain about 3 requirements.
1. The 1st player is Sati (Conciousness)
2. The opponent player is Jitta (Your mind)
3. The rope is your breathing.
3.1 This rope is small but very strong. However, if you are not professional player, you will not able to grab this rope tightly because of its size (too small for beginner). So, how about we make the rope bigger so it is easier for us to grab. In order to do this, we use the wording, any words. How about Budd-dha... when you breath in...think of Budd... when you breath out... think of the word Dha.

Here is some tips to win this game
- Use the rope to tie the Jitta (Your mind)
- Sati (Conciousness) is your strength. Use it to grab the rope and pull it.
- If there is the rope but no strength to grab and pull it, you will get pull back by Jitta instead
- If you have the stregth but no rope to grab hold, then there will be nothing you can pull
*** So, grab the rope firmly and tightly then pull(Sati is focus completely on the wording)

Once you win, your Sati will let go of both breathing and wording. The game is ended. So , there is no need for the rope (breathing and wording). The 2 things left is your Maha(big or large)-Sati and your jitta (your mind) that is in completely calm and peaceful state. This is the 4th jhana state.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

:clap: :bow:
Haha! Never heared thins teaching style! :)) Very intresting game !
Thank you for charing this Pinit, i will try :) :anjali:
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
Kumara

Hot!

Post by Kumara »

User1249x wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 9:23 pm i once got really hot too and paniced when sitting for a longer time. I think there is a mention about meditator becoming very hot on occasion in the Vsm as well. It did not happen again to me since and i think it was just something off and it is not something one should pay much attention to.
I had that too once, while relatively new to meditation. That was in the 90s. Just as in your case, I never had it since, not that I wish to. It was really unpleasant!
Kumara

Pain Faculty

Post by Kumara »

I notice a few post mentioning the pain faculty as if it's the same as pain. I want to make a distinction between the two. When the pain faculty ceases, it's not that one doesn't feel painful sensations at all, but that one does not feel them as pain. They are still felt, but as a neutral sensation.

Say you normally have headaches or stomachaches. Without the pain faculty, you can still feel the sensation, but don't feel it as pain.
robertk

Re: Pain Faculty

Post by robertk »

Kumara wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:53 am I notice a few post mentioning the pain faculty as if it's the same as pain. I want to make a distinction between the two. When the pain faculty ceases, it's not that one doesn't feel painful sensations at all, but that one does not feel them as pain. They are still felt, but as a neutral sensation.

Say you normally have headaches or stomachaches. Without the pain faculty, you can still feel the sensation, but don't feel it as pain.
It would be interesting to read the sutta/Commentary that this comes from.
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

robertk wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:37 am
Kumara wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:53 am I notice a few post mentioning the pain faculty as if it's the same as pain. I want to make a distinction between the two. When the pain faculty ceases, it's not that one doesn't feel painful sensations at all, but that one does not feel them as pain. They are still felt, but as a neutral sensation.

It would be interesting to read the sutta/Commentary that this comes from.
Good question.
I can be related to what Ven. Kumara's experience but I never thought of comparing it with Sutta.
However, I think it is a matter of seeing Vedana as Vedana and Sanna as Sanna as two different things.
Perhaps being mindful of Vedana and Sanna will reduce the mental suffering. (second arrow)
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
paul

Post by paul »

Sutta references:
"In dependence on a contact to be experienced as pain, the pain-faculty arises. Being pained, one discerns, 'I am pained.' With the cessation of that very contact to be experienced as pain, one discerns, 'What was experienced as coming from that — the pain-faculty arising in dependence on a contact to be experienced as pain — ceases & grows still.’—-SN 48.39

"Sensing a feeling of pleasure, he senses it disjoined from it. Sensing a feeling of pain, he senses it disjoined from it. Sensing a feeling of neither-pleasure-nor-pain, he senses it disjoined from it. This is called a well-instructed disciple of the noble ones disjoined from birth, aging, & death; from sorrows, lamentations, pains, distresses, & despairs. He is disjoined, I tell you, from suffering & stress.”—-“The Arrow”, SN 36.6
SavakaNik

Post by SavakaNik »

By understanding it :buddha2:

Discerning the wholesome (non-sensuality) from unwholesome (sensuality).
When it is actually discerned, not just recalled, kept in mind, repeated, studied, drilled, or memorized.
But actually discerned as such.
How do you know if you do?
Because when you discern it as such the hindrances are suppressed, the factors are developed, invisibility to Mara is attained.
Kumara

Post by Kumara »

SarathW wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:33 am I can be related to what Ven. Kumara's experience but I never thought of comparing it with Sutta.
However, I think it is a matter of seeing Vedana as Vedana and Sanna as Sanna as two different things.
Perhaps being mindful of Vedana and Sanna will reduce the mental suffering. (second arrow)
That's not what I meant, Sarath. It's the jhanas we're speaking of here. It's the samatha part, not vipassana.
samseva

Post by samseva »

I would just like to address these aspects of the discussion, since they are repeating themes (and important for the practice of jhāna).
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm As well as Bodom's and Doodoot's excellent advice above, I ought to mention that you are likely to get different answers from people, depending on what they think the 1st Jhana is. Some teachers think it is a "near normal" state of consciousness, accessible to most people who practice meditation in a particular sort of way. Others favour an approach which says that jhanas are very rare, very deep states of mind which will probably not be accessible to modern practitioners; maybe something for very advanced monastics, but not for most of us.
These two opposing descriptions of jhāna, which are still ubiquitous, are the extremes (and both should be disregarded). Jhāna being a 'near-normal' state of consciousness is equally as false as jhāna being nearly impossible to reach for anyone other than a monastic. It is much more the middle of the two (not impossible, but definitely not easy).
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm As far as I can see, the translations of what the Buddha said about jhana are not sufficient to make it clear which approach he would have favoured; although, of course, people will quote suttas to show that their particular understanding is the "correct" one.
But it is sufficient. The Buddha non-intentionally reached jhāna as a child. He also strived to develop jhāna under Āḷāra Kālāma and Uddaka. It is similar for other bhikkhus, and even for lay followers.
Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm Having said that, you might also want to have a look at Leigh Brasington's writing on Jhana. He is in the first camp - those who believe that Jhana is not excessively difficult or strange.
http://www.leighb.com/jhana3.htm
The interpretation of jhāna by Leigh Brasington et al. is simply a confusion of taking neighbourhood-concentration (upacāra-samādhi) to be jhāna.

Re 'how to reach jhāna', I would say that, along with solid sīla, sense-restraint and actually putting in the hours to meditate, Ajahn Brahm's description of jhāna (quoted by DooDoot) is a realistic and balanced understanding, as well as being good instructions, for jhāna:
You experience every part of each in-breath and out-breath continuously for many hundred breaths in a row. That is why this stage is called full sustained attention on the breath.You cannot reach this stage through force, through holding or gripping. You can attain this degree of stillness
only by letting go of everything in the entire universe except for this momentary experience of the breath happening silently. Actually “you”
do not reach this stage, the mind does. The mind does the work itself.

Jhanas are states of letting go, incredibly deep states of contentment. So give away the hungry mind. Develop contentment on the beautiful breath, and nimittas and jhanas will happen by themselves.

One of the many simple but profound statements of the Buddha is that “a meditator who makes letting go the main object easily achieves samadhi,” that is, attentive stillness, the goal of meditation (SN 48.9).

Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm
Pondera

Post by Pondera »

Jhana is merely perception and feeling of the kasinas (plus the seventh, eighth and ninth - which are easy to access). Kasinas are not difficult to access - nor are the seventh, eighth and ninth. They’re everywhere. Becoming “absorbed” in them is a matter of patience, insight and time.

This adherence to anapanasati as the only route the Buddha took to find jhana - it’s unfounded. Anapanasati stands alone as a meditation practice for the wind kasina - the fourth jhana.
Like the three marks of conditioned existence, this world in itself is filthy, hostile, and crowded