How to reach the 1st Jhana?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Alīno

How to reach the 1st Jhana?

Post by Alīno »

Hello my friends,

I dont found this topic, and i would like to ask you about it.
How to do it? :spy:

Metta :)
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Ajahn Jayasaro : They stop practicing ...
bodom

Re: How to reach the 1st Jhana?

Post by bodom »

The hindrances need to be abandoned to reach any level of Jhana:
"Having abandoned these five hindrances — imperfections of awareness that weaken discernment — then, quite secluded from sensuality, secluded from unskillful qualities, he enters and remains in the first jhana: rapture & pleasure born of seclusion, accompanied by directed thought & evaluation.

"Then, with the stilling of directed thoughts & evaluations, he enters and remains in the second jhana: rapture & pleasure born of concentration, unification of awareness free from directed thought & evaluation — internal assurance.

"Then, with the fading of rapture, he remains equanimous, mindful, & alert, and senses pleasure with the body. He enters and remains in the third jhana, of which the noble ones declare, 'Equanimous & mindful, he has a pleasant abiding.'

"Then, with the abandoning of pleasure & pain — as with the earlier disappearance of elation & distress — he enters and remains in the fourth jhana: purity of equanimity & mindfulness, neither-pleasure-nor pain.
https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html

:namaste:
Liberation is the inevitable fruit of the path and is bound to blossom forth when there is steady and persistent practice. The only requirements for reaching the final goal are two: to start and to continue. If these requirements are met there is no doubt the goal will be attained. This is the Dhamma, the undeviating law.

- BB
DooDoot

Post by DooDoot »

And what is the faculty of concentration? There is the case where a monk, a disciple of the noble ones, making letting go the meditation object, attains concentration, attains singleness of mind. Quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful mental qualities, he enters & remains in the first jhana...

SN 48.9 & SN 48.10 https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
You experience every part of each in-breath and out-breath continuously for many hundred breaths in a row. That is why this stage is called full sustained attention on the breath.You cannot reach this stage through force, through holding or gripping. You can attain this degree of stillness
only by letting go of everything in the entire universe except for this momentary experience of the breath happening silently. Actually “you”
do not reach this stage, the mind does. The mind does the work itself.

Jhanas are states of letting go, incredibly deep states of contentment. So give away the hungry mind. Develop contentment on the beautiful breath, and nimittas and jhanas will happen by themselves.

One of the many simple but profound statements of the Buddha is that “a meditator who makes letting go the main object easily achieves samadhi,” that is,attentive stillness,the goal of meditation (SN 48.9).

Mindfulness Bliss and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm https://www.dhammaloka.org.au/files/pdf ... ers1-4.pdf
There is always an official executioner. If you try to take his place, It is like trying to be a master carpenter and cutting wood. If you try to cut wood like a master carpenter, you will only hurt your hand.

https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/paticcasamuppada
https://soundcloud.com/doodoot/anapanasati
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

As well as Bodom's and Doodoot's excellent advice above, I ought to mention that you are likely to get different answers from people, depending on what they think the 1st Jhana is. Some teachers think it is a "near normal" state of consciousness, accessible to most people who practice meditation in a particular sort of way. Others favour an approach which says that jhanas are very rare, very deep states of mind which will probably not be accessible to modern practitioners; maybe something for very advanced monastics, but not for most of us.

As far as I can see, the translations of what the Buddha said about jhana are not sufficient to make it clear which approach he would have favoured; although, of course, people will quote suttas to show that their particular understanding is the "correct" one.

Having said that, you might also want to have a look at Leigh Brasington's writing on Jhana. He is in the first camp - those who believe that Jhana is not excessively difficult or strange.
http://www.leighb.com/jhana3.htm

The linked article is about as "nuts-and-bolts" as it gets.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm ... I ought to mention that you are likely to get different answers from people, depending on what they think the 1st Jhana is. Some teachers think it is a "near normal" state of consciousness, accessible to most people who practice meditation in a particular sort of way. Others favour an approach which says that jhanas are very rare, very deep states of mind ...
Indeed. See [url=viewtopic.php?f=43&t=4597]The Great Jhana Debate[/ur]

:heart:
Mike
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

I agree that there are many different ways you can attain the first Jhana.
- Sutta method as previous posts
- Loving-kindness meditation (Brahama Vihara)
- Kasina meditation

My preferred method is Sutta method. It is very straightforward.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
Lucas Oliveira

Post by Lucas Oliveira »

Digha Nikaya 22 - Mahasatipatthana Sutta

This sutta offers comprehensive practical instructions on the development of mindfulness in meditation. The Buddha describes how the development of continuous mindfulness of the four satipatthana ("foundations of mindfulness" or "frames of reference") — mindfulness of the body, of feelings, of the mind, and of mind-objects — can lead ultimately to full Awakening.
https://suttacentral.net/en/dn22

The Basic Method of Meditation | by Ajahn Brahm
https://bswa.org/teaching/basic-method- ... ahn-brahm/

:anjali:
I participate in this forum using Google Translator. http://translate.google.com.br

http://www.acessoaoinsight.net/
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

Sam Vara wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:18 pm As well as Bodom's and Doodoot's excellent advice above, I ought to mention that you are likely to get different answers from people, depending on what they think the 1st Jhana is. Some teachers think it is a "near normal" state of consciousness, accessible to most people who practice meditation in a particular sort of way. Others favour an approach which says that jhanas are very rare, very deep states of mind which will probably not be accessible to modern practitioners; maybe something for very advanced monastics, but not for most of us.

As far as I can see, the translations of what the Buddha said about jhana are not sufficient to make it clear which approach he would have favoured; although, of course, people will quote suttas to show that their particular understanding is the "correct" one.

Having said that, you might also want to have a look at Leigh Brasington's writing on Jhana. He is in the first camp - those who believe that Jhana is not excessively difficult or strange.
http://www.leighb.com/jhana3.htm

The linked article is about as "nuts-and-bolts" as it gets.
I was gonna recommend Leigh Brasington, but Sam Vara already beat me to it. :D
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
Saengnapha

Post by Saengnapha »

DooDoot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:53 pm And what is the faculty of concentration? There is the case where a monk, a disciple of the noble ones, making letting go the meditation object, attains concentration, attains singleness of mind. Quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful mental qualities, he enters & remains in the first jhana...
The letting go seems to be the key here. Letting go of what? All views, which are different forms of knowledge, knowing. Thinking begins to abate. The state of not-knowing begins with the comfort and rapture that automatically are present when thinking, conceptuality, are let go of. This is a state of not-knowing. Some call it a communion, some call it being present, some call it a state of harmony, 4th jhana. For me, it has always been a via negativa, a letting go and an entering into a state of not-knowing. It is without views and without association with a personality. It is like the deepest prayer imaginable.
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Greetings dear friends!
Thank you for your aswers :)

I have two quedtions about it:
1. in the first jhana painfull and pleasant feelings remain? - because some peoples say that there is no pain if 1st jhana, but if we read suttas we see that pain and pleasure disapear in 3th jhana.

2. more about my own experiance - when my mind is concetrated and widly open and pure there is some kind of "radiance" or "duck skin" feeling in whole my body, and when i concetrate it in one point some kind of pleasant "wave" comes through my body. And if i re-open widly my mind and then concentrate it again, this wave comes through again etc. So question is : is this "radiance" feeling or "duck skin" feeling is a 'pleasure'? And is this "vawe" feeling is 'rapture'?
Ajahn Nanadassano (before ordaining) : Venerable Ajahn, what is the bigest error that buddhist do in their practice?
Zom

Post by Zom »

1. in the first jhana painfull and pleasant feelings remain? - because some peoples say that there is no pain if 1st jhana, but if we read suttas we see that pain and pleasure disapear in 3th jhana.
You should read carefully.

“And where does the arisen pain faculty cease without remainder? Here, bhikkhus, secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, a bhikkhu enters and dwells in the first jhana, which is accompanied by thought and examination, with rapture and happiness born of seclusion. And it is here that the arisen pain faculty ceases without remainder. “This, bhikkhus, is called a bhikkhu who has understood the cessation of the pain faculty. He directs his mind accordingly. (SN 48 40)

“And what, bhikkhus, is the pain faculty? Whatever bodily pain there is, whatever bodily discomfort, the painful uncomfortable feeling born of body-contact: this,bhikkhus,is called the pain faculty. (SN 48 36)

This is why - if you have bodily discomfort - this is NOT jhana. Very good and observable criteria - observable not only subjectively, but also objectively, by someone else. If someone says "I'm attaining jhanas", but he changes posture or can't sit for hours because of too much pain - well, there's nothing more to say ... ,)
Last edited by Zom on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
auto

Post by auto »

Saengnapha wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 3:33 am
DooDoot wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:53 pm And what is the faculty of concentration? There is the case where a monk, a disciple of the noble ones, making letting go the meditation object, attains concentration, attains singleness of mind. Quite withdrawn from sensuality, withdrawn from unskillful mental qualities, he enters & remains in the first jhana...
The letting go seems to be the key here. Letting go of what? All views, which are different forms of knowledge, knowing. Thinking begins to abate. The state of not-knowing begins with the comfort and rapture that automatically are present when thinking, conceptuality, are let go of. This is a state of not-knowing. Some call it a communion, some call it being present, some call it a state of harmony, 4th jhana. For me, it has always been a via negativa, a letting go and an entering into a state of not-knowing. It is without views and without association with a personality. It is like the deepest prayer imaginable.
to be more punctuate.
open the link to the SN 48.10 and read the quote

"And what is the faculty of concentration? There is the case where a monk, a disciple of the noble ones, making it his object to let go, attains concentration, attains singleness of mind....

It says, that you make faculty of concentration as an object to attain concentration.

but how you do it, it is you have before other faculties.
like:

"And what is the faculty of mindfulness? There is the case where a monk, a disciple of the noble ones, is mindful, highly meticulous, remembering & able to call to mind even things that were done & said long ago. He remains focused on the body in & of itself — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. He remains focused on feelings in & of themselves... the mind in & of itself... mental qualities in & of themselves — ardent, alert, & mindful — putting aside greed & distress with reference to the world. This is called the faculty of mindfulness.

If to read it then it looks simple, but you see points like remembering and able to call to mind past doings. Also stages, remaining focused on body, alert and mindful, putting aside greed then remains focused on feelings, then mind then mental qualities..way before the faculty of concentration and make it an object of concentration.
Once you have concentration and gone through what is there, then there is faculty of discernment where you see arising and passing away..

"And what is the faculty of discernment? There is the case where a monk, a disciple of the noble ones, is discerning, endowed with discernment of arising & passing away — noble, penetrating, leading to the right ending of stress. He discerns, as it has come to be: 'This is stress... This is the origination of stress... This is the cessation of stress... This is the path of practice leading to the cessation of stress.' This is called the faculty of discernment.
cjmacie

Post by cjmacie »

Nwad wrote: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:42 pm Hello my friends,

I dont found this topic, and i would like to ask you about it.
How to do it? :spy:

Metta :)
Find a good teacher to work with in person, preferably a monastic with long experience (and I don't mean B. Vimalaramsi).

(forget amateur lay teachers, e.g. Brasington, Shankman, etc.)
Alīno

Post by Alīno »

Zom wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:47 pm
You should read carefully.

“And where does the arisen pain faculty cease without remainder? Here, bhikkhus, secluded from sensual pleasures, secluded from unwholesome states, a bhikkhu enters and dwells in the first jhana, which is accompanied by thought and examination, with rapture and happiness born of seclusion. And it is here that the arisen pain faculty ceases without remainder. “This, bhikkhus, is called a bhikkhu who has understood the cessation of the pain faculty. He directs his mind accordingly. (SN 48 40)

“And what, bhikkhus, is the pain faculty? Whatever bodily pain there is, whatever bodily discomfort, the painful uncomfortable feeling born of body-contact: this,bhikkhus,is called the pain faculty. (SN 48 36)

This is why - if you have bodily discomfort - this is NOT jhana. Very good and observable criteria - observable not only subjectively, but also objectively, by someone else. If someone says "I'm attaining jhanas", but he changes posture or can't sit for hours because of too much pain - well, there's nothing more to say ... ,)
Oh thanks dear Zom :) So i have an answer..
And i should re-read Suttas ))

Actualy knowing your knowledge of Dhamma and your particular attention to jhana, i would like to know if there is some teaching/text/video that you can share which can explain how to reach it, what should i work what should i abandon ? I would be gratefull to you .)
Zom

Post by Zom »

Actualy knowing your knowledge of Dhamma and your particular attention to jhana, i would like to know if there is some teaching/text/video that you can share which can explain how to reach it
So far I don't know anyone who genuinely attain it and could sit for a very long time (except one person from Nepal but the situation with him is very controversial by now). There are many who teach, but again, I've never seen and never heard that any of these teachers could do this simple thing: sit for many hours in one posture without any trouble. Let's say: sit at 8 am and get up at 8 pm. Why? Obviously because jhana is a superhuman ability and there aren't many people in the world with superhuman abilities. 8-)