Sound object for concentration meditation

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Post Reply
hohohodam
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by hohohodam » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:36 am

Can I get a recommended reading list for understanding sound object as meditation? I googled but failed to find anything on it.

My recent experience in using gong sound as meditation object has been very positive and would like to explore further.

Thanks!

User avatar
mikenz66
Posts: 15230
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 7:37 am
Location: New Zealand

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by mikenz66 » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:39 am

Hi hohohodam

I've not seen any instructions on how to use sound as a concentration object. There is plenty of advice on using it as a secondary object in "insight" practise, but that's probably not relevant to your purpose.

:heart:
Mike

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23043
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:56 am

You may find something addressing your interest here, Sound as a medititaion focus: https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... T_ITf97Rt8
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

hohohodam
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:03 pm

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by hohohodam » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:05 am

Thanks. What I really want to know perhaps is its legitimacy as a meditation object according to past teachers and traditions.

User avatar
robertk
Posts: 2490
Joined: Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:08 am

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by robertk » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 am

Kantaka sutta,
lists impediments to concentration such as sound
paṭhamassa jhānassa saddo kaṇṭako

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23043
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:28 am

hohohodam wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:05 am
Thanks. What I really want to know perhaps is its legitimacy as a meditation object according to past teachers and traditions.
You will get those who likely will say "no," for there is no textual support for it, but if you can pay attention to, be mindful of, a more or less constant sound, it may work as a meditation object. It is not typical as a primary object, but it might be of interest to try. Sound, like the other sensory inputs, can be an object of attention/mindfulness.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23043
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:32 am

robertk wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:19 am
Kantaka sutta,
lists impediments to concentration such as sound
paṭhamassa jhānassa saddo kaṇṭako
It certainly can be an impediment, especially if one is trying to cultivate jhana; however, if one's concentration and mindfulness are strong, if one is an experienced practitioner, probably not so much of an impediment.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
aflatun
Posts: 601
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 2:40 pm
Location: Bay Area, CA

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by aflatun » Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 pm

hohohodam wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:36 am
Can I get a recommended reading list for understanding sound object as meditation? I googled but failed to find anything on it.

My recent experience in using gong sound as meditation object has been very positive and would like to explore further.

Thanks!
You might want to google around for "the sound of silence" and Ajahn Sumedho
"People often get too quick to say 'there's no self. There's no self...no self...no self.' There is self, there is focal point, its not yours. That's what not self is."

Ninoslav Ñāṇamoli
Senses and the Thought-1, 42:53

"Those who create constructs about the Buddha,
Who is beyond construction and without exhaustion,
Are thereby damaged by their constructs;
They fail to see the Thus-Gone.

That which is the nature of the Thus-Gone
Is also the nature of this world.
There is no nature of the Thus-Gone.
There is no nature of the world."

Nagarjuna
MMK XXII.15-16

User avatar
Mr Man
Posts: 3051
Joined: Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:42 am

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by Mr Man » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:08 pm

There is this - The Sound of Silence by Ajahn Amaro

http://www.lionsroar.com/the-sound-of-silence/

User avatar
tiltbillings
Posts: 23043
Joined: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:25 am

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by tiltbillings » Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:20 pm

Mr Man wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 5:08 pm
There is this - The Sound of Silence by Ajahn Amaro

http://www.lionsroar.com/the-sound-of-silence/
I had forgotten about this book. Good call.
>> Do you see a man wise [enlightened/ariya] in his own eyes? There is more hope for a fool than for him.<< -- Proverbs 26:12

This being is bound to samsara, kamma is his means for going beyond. -- SN I, 38.

“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?” HPatDH p.723

User avatar
Aloka
Posts: 5633
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by Aloka » Sun Oct 15, 2017 8:22 pm

I had forgotten about this book. Good call.
There's also "The Sound of Silence" by Ajahn Sumedho, which is probably the book you'd forgotten about, Tilt.

https://cdn.amaravati.org/wp-content/up ... ilence.pdf



:anjali:

Saengnapha
Posts: 337
Joined: Wed Sep 13, 2017 10:17 am

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by Saengnapha » Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:34 am

aflatun wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 pm
hohohodam wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:36 am
Can I get a recommended reading list for understanding sound object as meditation? I googled but failed to find anything on it.

My recent experience in using gong sound as meditation object has been very positive and would like to explore further.

Thanks!
You might want to google around for "the sound of silence" and Ajahn Sumedho
I think that's a Simon & Garfunkel creation. :D

User avatar
Spiny Norman
Posts: 5165
Joined: Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:32 am
Location: Spam, wonderful spam

Re: Sound object for concentration meditation

Post by Spiny Norman » Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:05 am

Saengnapha wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 7:34 am
aflatun wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 4:27 pm
hohohodam wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2017 7:36 am
Can I get a recommended reading list for understanding sound object as meditation? I googled but failed to find anything on it.

My recent experience in using gong sound as meditation object has been very positive and would like to explore further.

Thanks!
You might want to google around for "the sound of silence" and Ajahn Sumedho
I think that's a Simon & Garfunkel creation. :D
Or tinnitus. :tongue:
"My religion is very simple - my religion is ice-cream."
Dairy Lama

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests