Is there Nimitta outside of Theravada?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
pyluyten

Is there Nimitta outside of Theravada?

Post by pyluyten »

Nimitta is sometimes discussed here, it is a common and somewhat important concept is Samatha.

Is there "Nimitta" or similar concept in other branch of Buddhism, eg Chan/Zen ? (after all, Zen means Dhyana).
Is there Nimitta in Yoga? or in other practices?
User156079

Re: Is there Nimitta outside of Theravada?

Post by User156079 »

In general yes, but the nimittas associated with the Samatha Jhanas are developed, so a given practise must have a certain structure to it so that it leads to those when cultivated. Afaik there are many diffrent kinds of Nimitta some are experienced by most people i guess.
paul

Post by paul »

Development of the sign (nimitta) means developing visualisation, which is a prominent part of Tibetan meditation, however in Theravada it is not emphasised because of the danger of attraction to the ten imperfections of insight, such as illumination, which may lead off the path. But this does not mean it's not an important part of samatha meditation, indeed it arose in the Buddha.
Last edited by paul on Sat Jan 14, 2017 5:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Not wanting to derail the thread, but it is important to realise that nimitta is a common word in the suttas, often translated as "sign" or "theme", which refers to the general appearance of an object, as in
“And how, friend, does one guard the doors of the sense faculties? Here, having seen a form with the eye, a bhikkhu does not grasp its signs (nimitta) and features.
https://suttacentral.net/en/sn35.120/4-4.769
Nimittas associated with concentration are mentioned in a number of suttas:
http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.php?t=15578

It would, therefore, not be correct to regard the use of concentration nimittas as a purely Theravada commentary development.

:anjali:
Mike
Assaji

Post by Assaji »

pyluyten wrote:Nimitta is sometimes discussed here, it is a common and somewhat important concept is Samatha.

Is there "Nimitta" or similar concept in other branch of Buddhism, eg Chan/Zen ? (after all, Zen means Dhyana).
President of the Pali Text Society, Rupert Gethin connects the term 'nimitta' with 'pratibimba' in his book "Foundations of Buddhism".

Stephen Hodge also makes such connection:

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 70&p=39219
Is there Nimitta in Yoga? or in other practices?
In Classical Yoga, the corresponding term is 'pratibimba':

http://www.dhammawheel.com/viewtopic.ph ... 70&p=86526
Caodemarte

Post by Caodemarte »

Nimitta is used with such a range of meanings and there are so many different teachers in both sects, that it is difficult to answer this interesting question. Some Theravada teachers, for example, dismiss nimitta (as definite signs appearing in meditation) entirely. Generally speaking, I would think Chan/Zen not be interested in developing attention to nimitta, but tell students to simply note and continue on.

If you are interested in this question you might want to pose it over at Zen Forum for a more informed answer.
pyluyten

Post by pyluyten »

Thanks all for your comments links, appreciated! i now have some material to loot at yoga approach.

(I was once told samatha came to buddhism from Yoga but facts seem to show the opposite).

About the Zen, yes maybe asking a "Sensei" would make sense. From books i found rather generic instructions, which did not stated this or that step in meditative pratice. Not distinguishing steps might be a clever way to focus on practice rather than "think about practice". But on the other hand it leaves you alone with your questions and i guess yes, Sensei is the one to answer rather than books.
User156079

Post by User156079 »

pyluyten wrote: (I was once told samatha came to buddhism from Yoga but facts seem to show the opposite).
Which came first Yoga or a Tathagata? :thinking:

ps: not a serious question
paul

Post by paul »

(I was once told samatha came to buddhism from Yoga but facts seem to show the opposite).
No.
Buddhism branched away from Hinduism, all the Buddha's early training was in samatha meditation as that was all that existed at the time. The Buddha then was motivated to go beyond that and developed vipassana, which is the essential and unique element of Buddhism as it completely removes the fetters.