metta in the suttas

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
befriend

metta in the suttas

Post by befriend » Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:36 pm

how do you practice cultivating metta as prescribed in the pali canon. I have tried practicing the typical way of using self, benefactor, friend, neutral person and enemy and all beings, but am wondering what methodology people use from the suttas to do metta meditation. I chant the metta sutta in my head and find this to be helpful I know you spread metta like a trumpeter in all directions but not sure how to do this in actual practice. thank you. befriend
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.

bodom

Re: metta in the suttas

Post by bodom » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:08 pm

I recommend this study guide From Thanisarro Bhikkhu:

The Sublime Attitudes
http://www.dhammatalks.org/Archive/Writ ... 150724.pdf

:namaste:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With no struggling, no thinking,
the mind, still,
will see cause and effect
vanishing in the Void.
Attached to nothing, letting go:
Know that this is the way
to allay all stress.

- Upasika Kee Nanayan

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:19 pm

You can find the Pāli formula for radiating metta here with its translation.
AIM ForumsPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)

befriend

Post by befriend » Wed Oct 05, 2016 9:43 pm

thank you venerable and bodom why is chanting it in pali and understanding its English equivalent better than just chanting it in English?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.

yann

Post by yann » Wed Nov 16, 2016 2:31 pm

I try some response..
First step is repeat in Pali without understanding, but you may have a direct intuitive vedana of love. Some yogi no need more because they are very sensitive. Second step is to translate in any language, for simply know the meaning of the words and to try not having some wrong views about the subject. This is yoniso manasikara ( investigation). Third step is repeating in Pali again and again with true view and good sens of feeling inside your heart. Next stage is letting go words for stay in pure vibration of Metta, this is experimenting Metta jhana.
When yogis and yoginis go do 7 or 10 days meditation retraits, they experience these different stages in accordance with cause and condition they travel through the moment.
But for speaking about the language. We are used to have, speak, understand and live the language in our native country. And it’s normal we try to translate Pali into English for english people, or French for French people. But if one consider that he will go in the country of the Buddha, because he wants to respect people of this country he will try and make an effort to speak same ( in Pali). It’s why all Theravada monks all over the world recite suttas in Pali language for more than 2500 years. The Buddha Dhamma is always a living Dhamma, because the native land of this Dhamma is the Pali. And this land is inside our citta-heart.
With Metta :heart:

dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:59 pm

befriend wrote:how do you practice cultivating metta as prescribed in the pali canon. I have tried practicing the typical way of using self, benefactor, friend, neutral person and enemy and all beings, but am wondering what methodology people use from the suttas to do metta meditation. I chant the metta sutta in my head and find this to be helpful I know you spread metta like a trumpeter in all directions but not sure how to do this in actual practice. thank you. befriend
I think the instructions to extend the feeling in to all the directions is for meditators with a certain level of skil because you need to feel it in order to share it, anyhow, once you have the feeling observe it and extend first to the front then to the left then to the right, etc. at the end extend it to all the directions, try to use the least energy possible when you do that, you can adjust the energy while you do it, if you notice that you are putting too much energy reduce it. Smile, it helps a lot.

After a while you can spread it directly to all directions and extend it further and further.

Smile
Dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5