Technical Meditation Aspects

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
meditator54

Technical Meditation Aspects

Post by meditator54 » Thu Sep 10, 2015 12:30 pm

So basically how I am meditating at the moment is just to focus on the sensations of the breath at the nostrils, sometimes I will note "in, out, in, out" and sometimes just feel the sensation. Then when a thought arises, I note "thinking, thinking" and return to the breath. Then when pain arises i note "pain, pain" or "feeling, feeling" and return to the breath.

Is it better to note "in, out", "thinking, thinking", "pain, pain" or just feel the sensation?

Or does it not matter so much and i just do what i feel comfortable with?

SarathW

Re: Technical Meditation Aspects

Post by SarathW » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:27 pm

It appears to me that you are in the right track.
Please listen to the Dhamma talk below for detail instruction of Satipatthana.

http://www.dharmaseed.org/teacher/96/talk/6162/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Goofaholix

Post by Goofaholix » Thu Sep 10, 2015 9:47 pm

The labelling with a word is helpful when you're getting started or concentration is poor, you should drop it when you don't need it.

The mental noting is just a brief moment of recognition in the mind, you don't need a word to label it.

Ultimately you are aiming to be fully and continuously aware of changing sensations and experiences,
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.” ― Ajahn Chah

IanAnd

Post by IanAnd » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:49 am

Goofaholix wrote:The labelling with a word is helpful when you're getting started or concentration is poor, you should drop it when you don't need it.

The mental noting is just a brief moment of recognition in the mind, you don't need a word to label it.

Ultimately you are aiming to be fully and continuously aware of changing sensations and experiences,
:goodpost:

note = to take silent notice (not to utter in the mind a word, interrupting the train of concentration; it takes time, though, to recondition the mind to be silent enough so that when objects arise they can be examined and evaluated for just what they are and not for what one may preconceive them to be; such an ability leads eventually to awakening and mindfulness)
"The gift of truth exceeds all other gifts" — Dhammapada, v. 354 Craving XXIV

pegembara

Post by pegembara » Fri Sep 11, 2015 7:00 am

meditator54 wrote: Is it better to note "in, out", "thinking, thinking", "pain, pain" or just feel the sensation?

Basically you are trying to see directly that all phenomenon that arises(sankharas) passes away ie. sabbe sankhara anicca. It is not necessary to apply labels which may help in the beginning but later can hinder since words themselves are actually sankharas. The words .....in....... out ......thinking .......... pain ........
And what is right speech? Abstaining from lying, from divisive speech, from abusive speech, & from idle chatter: This is called right speech.