What is a "mind movement out" through fingers and toes in body scan meditations?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
philosopher

What is a "mind movement out" through fingers and toes in body scan meditations?

Post by philosopher » Sat Aug 01, 2015 7:14 am

I've heard the instruction given in body scan (also known as sweeping?) meditations to, after reaching the fingers and toes, make a "mind movement out" into the room. This instruction is given in a guided meditation by Ayya Khema (http://ayyakhematalks.org/Media/Contemp ... GG9608.mp3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). The last 30 seconds contains the instruction I'm referring to.

Thanissaro Bikkhu also often gives a similar instruction, and from what I gather he is referring to the flow of the breath energy.

Can anyone please elaborate on what this instruction in body scans usually means?

:anjali:

Kamran

Re: What is a "mind movement out" through fingers and toes in body scan meditations?

Post by Kamran » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:38 pm

Initially, this was hard for me to understand, because I had not developed the sensitivity to feel the awareness/breath energy.

Eventually I noticed that as my awareness moved around to different parts of my body there was a distinct sensation, which could be interpreted as "energy", that moved along with my awareness.

As you develop sensitivity to this "energy" sensation, you can actually push it right out through your toes and fingers, surround your whole body with it, or fill your body with it, or make it pass through your body like wind through a screen door, or create many other useful perceptions that you can hear about in Thanissaro Bhikhu's talks.
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

philosopher

Re: What is a "mind movement out" through fingers and toes in body scan meditations?

Post by philosopher » Sat Aug 01, 2015 11:53 pm

Kamran wrote:Initially, this was hard for me to understand, because I had not developed the sensitivity to feel the awareness/breath energy.

Eventually I noticed that as my awareness moved around to different parts of my body there was a distinct sensation, which could be interpreted as "energy", that moved along with my awareness.

As you develop sensitivity to this "energy" sensation, you can actually push it right out through your toes and fingers, surround your whole body with it, or fill your body with it, or make it pass through your body like wind through a screen door, or create many other useful perceptions that you can hear about in Thanissaro Bhikhu's talks.
Thanks. I do sense a tingling / pulsing throughout the body; is this the "energy" sensation?

I'm wondering also - what is the usefulness of conceptualizing the raw sensations as "energy" rather than just leaving them be as the experienced sensations?

Kamran

Post by Kamran » Sun Aug 02, 2015 1:10 am

philosopher wrote:
Kamran wrote:Initially, this was hard for me to understand, because I had not developed the sensitivity to feel the awareness/breath energy.

Thanks. I do sense a tingling / pulsing throughout the body; is this the "energy" sensation?

I'm wondering also - what is the usefulness of conceptualizing the raw sensations as "energy" rather than just leaving them be as the experienced sensations?

No I am not referring to tingling/pulsing sensations, although those sensations are also signs of concentration. I don't know what it is, but it seems like energy, like magnets moving over your skin.

Initially, I just imagined a blue light scanning over by body because I did not know what Thanissaro was talking about(it seemed mystical/imaginary). Then I noticed it, and it stronger as you powers of observation increase.

Breath/Awareness Energy is a useful concept for me because it allows me to relate to and leverage Thanissaro's teachings better.

He is a master meditator, and I found that his daily talks were not only a valuable resource for learning techniques, but that they were good pep-talks and kept me motivated :)
"Silence gives answers"

Jalal ad-Din Muhammad Rumi

philosopher

Post by philosopher » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:03 am

Kamran wrote:
philosopher wrote:

No I am not referring to tingling/pulsing sensations, although those sensations are also signs of concentration. I don't know what it is, but it seems like energy, like magnets moving over your skin.

Initially, I just imagined a blue light scanning over by body because I did not know what Thanissaro was talking about(it seemed mystical/imaginary). Then I noticed it, and it stronger as you powers of observation increase.

Breath/Awareness Energy is a useful concept for me because it allows me to relate to and leverage Thanissaro's teachings better.

He is a master meditator, and I found that his daily talks were not only a valuable resource for learning techniques, but that they were good pep-talks and kept me motivated :)
Thanks! Very helpful.

waterchan

Post by waterchan » Sun Aug 09, 2015 5:09 am

Think this has more to do with the vipassana side of things than samatha. *glances at the forum section title*