Meditation techniques for jhana

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
alfaaa

Meditation techniques for jhana

Post by alfaaa » Mon Jul 06, 2015 12:48 pm

Hi friends :twothumbsup:

Is there a list of meditation techniques to attain jhana? The only one I hear all the time is observing the breath - is there any other?

Thanks. :anjali:

samseva

Re: Meditation techniques for jhana

Post by samseva » Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:15 pm

From Nyanatiloka Thera's Buddhist Dictionary.
http://www.buddhistelibrary.org/en/disp ... p?pid=1956
Vis.M. III-XI gives full directions how to attain full concentration and the absorptions (jhāna, q.v.) by means of the following 40 meditation subjects (kammaṭṭhāna):

10 kasina-exercises (s. kasiṇa). These produce the 4 absorptions.
10 loathsome subjects (asubha, q.v.). These produce the 1st absorption.
10 recollections (anussati, q.v.): of the Buddha (buddhānussati), the Doctrine (dhammānussati), the Brotherhood of the Noble Ones (sanghānussati), morality, liberality, the heavenly beings, death (maraṇasati, q.v.), the body (kāyagatāsati, q.v.), in-and-outbreathing (ānāpāna-sati, q.v.) and peace (upasamānussati, q.v.).

Among these, the recollection (or mindfulness) of in-and-out breathing may produce all the 4 absorptions, that of the body the 1st absorption, the rest only neighbourhood-concentration (upacāra-samādhi, s. samādhi).

4 sublime abodes (brahma-vihāra, q.v.): loving- kindness, compassion, altruistic joy, equanimity (mettā, karuṇā, muditā, upekkhā). Of these, the first 3 exercises may produce 3 absorptions, the last one the 4th absorption only.
4 immaterial spheres (arūpāyatana, s. jhāna): of unbounded space, unbounded consciousness, nothingness, neither-perception-nor-non-perception. These are based upon the 4th absorption.
1 perception of the loathsomeness of food (āhāre paṭikkūla-saññā), which may produce neighbourhood-concentration.
1 analysis of the 4 elements (catudhātu-vavatthāna, s. dhātu-vavatthāna), which may produce neighbourhood-concentration.

dhammarelax

Post by dhammarelax » Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:48 pm

alfaaa wrote:Hi friends :twothumbsup:

Is there a list of meditation techniques to attain jhana? The only one I hear all the time is observing the breath - is there any other?

Thanks. :anjali:
Oh yes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifMKRRzlY6A" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

smile all the time
dhammarelax
Even if the flesh & blood in my body dry up, leaving just the skin, tendons, & bones, I will use all my human firmness, human persistence and human striving. There will be no relaxing my persistence until I am the first of my generation to attain full awakening in this lifetime. ed. AN 2.5

ieee23

Post by ieee23 » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:27 pm

This book compiles several Jhanas teachers views on Jhana and various techniques:

The Experience of Samadhi: An In-depth Exploration of Buddhist Meditation
by Richard Shankman

These are some of the better books on the Jhanas

Mindfulness, Bliss, and Beyond by Ajahn Brahm

Focused And Fearless by Catherine Shaila

Coming in the fall

Right Concentration by Leigh Brassington
Whatever a bhikkhu frequently thinks and ponders upon, that will become the inclination of his mind. - MN 19

Cormac Brown

Post by Cormac Brown » Tue Feb 23, 2016 5:50 pm

Check out the books and audio of Thanissaro Bhikkhu here. It's likely a different approach to breath meditation to what you've come across.
“I in the present who am a worthy one, rightly self-awakened, am a
teacher of action, a teacher of activity, a teacher of persistence. But the
worthless man Makkhali contradicts even me, (saying,) ‘There is no
action. There is no activity. There is no persistence.’ "
AN 3.138, trans. Ven. Thanissaro

Pinetree

Post by Pinetree » Tue Feb 23, 2016 7:49 pm

Ajahn Brahm has a Jhana book, maybe worth a look:

http://www.dhammatalks.net/Books/Ajahn_ ... Jhanas.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;