Question about subtleness of breathing.

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
mddrill

Question about subtleness of breathing.

Post by mddrill »

Hi, when I'm practicing breathing meditation, the more I concentrate on my breathe the subtler it becomes (I believe that is what is supposed to happen). Untill I get to a point where the breathing becomes so subtle I feel like I need to gasp for air. when this this happens I have to breathe harder. then when I concentrate more, then breathe becomes so subtle that I feel like I need to gasp for air again. then I need to breathe harder again. its a cycle that goes on for the rest of my meditation.

Is this normal? is there something I can do to stop it? I wonder if I was able to keep the breathe subtle it would lead me deeper into the meditation, where I might be able to reach access concentration.

I've tried intentionally keeping the breathe subtle, but I can only do that for a short period of time before I need air.

Any advice would help,
Thanks
Goofaholix

Re: Question about subtleness of breathing.

Post by Goofaholix »

The body won’t voluntarily stop breathing, it knows what it’s doing and will be getting enough air.

The mind thinks it has to be in control, and panics when it thinks it’s not getting enough.

I think you’ve got an interesting situation here to learn from, you may have to watch this happen again and again until you can learn to let go and trust in the process. Just remind the mind it’s here to watch and learn, not control a bodily process that is automatic anyway.
Pronouns (no self / not self)
“Peace is within oneself to be found in the same place as agitation and suffering. It is not found in a forest or on a hilltop, nor is it given by a teacher. Where you experience suffering, you can also find freedom from suffering. Trying to run away from suffering is actually to run toward it.”
― Ajahn Chah
SarathW

Re: Question about subtleness of breathing.

Post by SarathW »

-Please talk to a doctor to see whether you have any medical conditions.
- Breath normally.
- Keep breath as your home base all the time until you attain 4th Jhana.
:meditate:
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”