does anyone know of good asubha resources?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
Garrib

Re: does anyone know of good asubha resources?

Post by Garrib »

I remember when I was a teenager, and there were times that I found it necessary to subdue desire quickly (at the doctor's office and a "cute" nurse comes in, eg.)...I remember thinking of my grandmother, and that really worked!

I have also done Asubha meditation and it has worked well for me. I like to know it is there as a support, but yes, it can lead to aversion towards my own body and that of others...It does seem to be tricky territory.

Good luck!
altar

Post by altar »

SEC201482 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2016 5:50 pm Ernest Becker unintentionally and unwittingly produced one of the best asubha resources out there in The Denial of Death with his discussion of "anality." It is a rather profound discourse on the preposterous nature of the human body and the incongruity of having sensual desire for it given its nature.

http://waywardblogging.com/2013/09/dual ... -of-death/

Is obsession with the disgusting elements the point of asubha? According to Brahms essay it is a tool for letting go of the body. Familiarity w poop might deter one from lust but it doesn’t quite seem the point of dhamma... or even contemplating the four elements... the idea is to understand ones place in the world, not an obsession w it... opinions?
PuerAzaelis

Post by PuerAzaelis »

So ... not the Disney Channel, then.
Generally, enjoyment of speech is the gateway to poor [results]. So it becomes the foundation for generating all negative emotional states. Jampel Pawo, The Certainty of the Diamond Mind
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Vijaya Sutta: Victory

Whether walking, standing,
sitting, or lying down,
it flexes & stretches:
this is the body's movement.
Joined together with tendons & bones,
plastered over with muscle & skin,
hidden by complexion,
the body isn't seen
for what it is:
filled with intestines, filled with stomach,
with the lump of the liver,
bladder, lungs, heart,
kidneys, spleen,
mucus, sweat, saliva, fat,
blood, synovial fluid, bile, & oil.
On top of that,
in nine streams,
filth is always flowing from it:
from the eyes : eye secretions,
from the ears : ear secretions,
from the nose : mucus,
from the mouth : now vomit,
now phlegm,
now bile.
from the body : beads of sweat.
And on top of that,
its hollow head is filled with brains.

The fool, beset by ignorance,
thinks it beautiful.
But when it lies dead,
swollen, livid,
cast away in a charnel ground,
even relatives don't care for it.
Dogs feed on it,
jackals, wolves, & worms.
Crows & vultures feed on it,
along with any other animals there.

Having heard the Awakened One's words,
the discerning monk
comprehends, for he sees it
for what it is:
"As this is, so is that.
As that, so this."
Within & without,
he should let desire for the body
fade away.
With desire & passion faded away,
the discerning monk arrives here:
at the deathless,
the calm,
the undying state
of Unbinding.

This two-footed, filthy, evil-smelling,
filled-with-various-carcasses,
oozing-out-here-&-there body:
Whoever would think,
on the basis of a body like this,
to exalt himself or disparage another:

What is that
if not blindness?
Dhammarakkhito

Post by Dhammarakkhito »

"Just as the ocean has a single taste — that of salt — in the same way, this Dhamma-Vinaya has a single taste: that of release."
— Ud 5.5

https://www.facebook.com/noblebuddhadha ... 34/?type=3

http://seeingthroughthenet.net/
https://sites.google.com/site/santipada ... allytaught
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

http://www.luangta.eu/site/books/book9_ ... wisdom.pdf
a good book on development of this type of meditation
mario92

Post by mario92 »

You can put asubha meditation in YouTube there are very good videos. Or you can print a Photo of whatever you find disgusting and to paste it in your room when you feel the need to see it. Sometimes is better practice with the body so oneself can take it everywhere, imaginating what is inside starting under the skin, Grease, flesh, blood, etc. Other times also helps to be in nature alone. Came along with disgusting orgánic thrash or similar and sense with most senses you can. Then practice metta because it can makes you or other people angry, or shamata as other ajahns said to do it before this practice. I feel that if i don't do this practice eventually i would break the third precept and start suffering rolling over again. Promoting asubha is good for everyone and oneself later. I was thinking in doing an explanation or something similar in YouTube. Maybe that is why in some countries there are rotten corpses to see them in streets, because at some extent it is beneficial. Using imagination is also part of the practice i'm Still a beginner. Famous contemporary monks teach how to do it also in Youtube Ajahn Martín and Ajahn suchart, Ajahn chah in some book also.
Last edited by mario92 on Wed Jun 27, 2018 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
dylanj

Post by dylanj »

I can add you to a facebook group re: asubha
Born, become, arisen – made, prepared, short-lived
Bonded by decay and death – a nest for sickness, perishable
Produced by seeking nutriment – not fit to take delight in

Departure from this is peaceful – beyond reasoning and enduring
Unborn, unarisen – free from sorrow and stain
Ceasing of all factors of suffering – stilling of all preparations is bliss
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Yes thank you.
salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha »

I've looked at several corpses online, watched people die many sorts of graphic death, but I suspect the 'real-life' experience would trump this. How would I go about observing bodies say at a crematorium? The 'carrion stench' of a days'-dead body would be a source of dispassion.
I host a sutta discussion via Zoom Sundays at 11AM Chicago time — message me if you are interested
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

salayatananirodha wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 am I've looked at several corpses online, watched people die many sorts of graphic death, but I suspect the 'real-life' experience would trump this. How would I go about observing bodies say at a crematorium? The 'carrion stench' of a days'-dead body would be a source of dispassion.
If you explain yourself well they are likely to let you take a look, one may also contact funeral parlors.
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

User1249x wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 8:27 am
salayatananirodha wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:05 am I've looked at several corpses online, watched people die many sorts of graphic death, but I suspect the 'real-life' experience would trump this. How would I go about observing bodies say at a crematorium? The 'carrion stench' of a days'-dead body would be a source of dispassion.
If you explain yourself well they are likely to let you take a look, one may also contact funeral parlors.
Different countries probably vary, but in the UK this would be out of the question. Crematoria here do occasional "open days", when the public can go "behind the scenes", but you would not get to see dead bodies.
User1249x

Post by User1249x »

Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm
Different countries probably vary, but in the UK this would be out of the question. Crematoria here do occasional "open days", when the public can go "behind the scenes", but you would not get to see dead bodies.
I tried this in Norway. I was initially trying to get a job there and was in dialogue with the agency that was contracted to operate the place. There was no chance of employment but i was invited to take a look in the oven:)
Sam Vara
Site Admin

Post by Sam Vara »

User1249x wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:31 pm
Sam Vara wrote: Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:01 pm
I tried this in Norway. I was initially trying to get a job there and was in dialogue with the agency that was contracted to operate the place. There was no chance of employment but i was invited to take a look in the oven:)
I hope it wasn't occupied at the time!