yellow kasiṇa

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
diligence

yellow kasiṇa

Post by diligence »

Hello, all!
Does somebody practice pīta(yellow) kasiṇa? Is it suitable for beginners?
With the arising of delight, there is the arising of suffering. With the cessation of delight, comes the cessation of suffering.
Nandisamudayā dukkhasamudayo, nandinirodhā dukkhanirodho.
Dukkhameva uppajjamānaṃ uppajjati, dukkhaṃ nirujjhamānaṃ nirujjhati.
Pseudobabble

Re: yellow kasiṇa

Post by Pseudobabble »

Hello

I haven't practised with the yellow Kasina. I've tried white kasina, and candle flame. Candle flame worked nicely.

Any particular reason not to use the breath?
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
diligence

Post by diligence »

Pseudobabble wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:46 am Hello

I haven't practised with the yellow Kasina. I've tried white kasina, and candle flame. Candle flame worked nicely.

I think the breath might be more suitable for higher phala. Am I right?
And I like the color of yellow.
With the arising of delight, there is the arising of suffering. With the cessation of delight, comes the cessation of suffering.
Nandisamudayā dukkhasamudayo, nandinirodhā dukkhanirodho.
Dukkhameva uppajjamānaṃ uppajjati, dukkhaṃ nirujjhamānaṃ nirujjhati.
Pseudobabble

Post by Pseudobabble »

diligence wrote: Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:17 am
Pseudobabble wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 11:46 am Hello

I think the breath might be more suitable for higher phala. Am I right?
And I like the color of yellow.

Well if you like yellow, no reason not to choose that one.

As for phala - I don't know. But I know the breath works well as a meditation object.
"Does Master Gotama have any position at all?"

"A 'position,' Vaccha, is something that a Tathagata has done away with. What a Tathagata sees is this: 'Such is form, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is feeling, such its origination, such its disappearance; such is perception...such are fabrications...such is consciousness, such its origination, such its disappearance.'" - Aggi-Vacchagotta Sutta

'Dust thou art, and unto dust thou shalt return.' - Genesis 3:19

'Some fart freely, some try to hide and silence it. Which one is correct?' - Saegnapha
LG2V

Post by LG2V »

I've done some, but not yellow. Kasina meditation is fun to try. See what happens. I think breath or Mahasi method is will bring faster results for a beginner, though.
Here are some excellent sites for giving free Dana (Click-Based Donation):
http://freerice.comhttp://greatergood.com/www.ripple.orgwww.thenonprofits.com
paul

Post by paul »

Although all listed subjects are profitable, the practitioner should also consider what is the main defilement their temperament is subject to. In terms of direct opposition, the four colour kasinas (red, yellow, blue, white) are suitable for one of hating temperament, and the the ten kinds of foulness and mindfulness occupied with the body are eleven subjects suitable for one of greedy temperament. (Vism. III: 121).

"And how is a monk skilled in reading his own mind? Imagine a young woman — or man — fond of adornment, examining the image of her own face in a bright, clean mirror or bowl of clear water: If she saw any dirt or blemish there, she would try to remove it. If she saw no dirt or blemish there, she would be pleased, her resolves fulfilled: 'How fortunate I am! How clean I am!' In the same way, a monk's self-examination is very productive in terms of skillful qualities: 'Do I usually remain covetous (greedy) or not? With thoughts of ill will or not? Overcome by sloth & drowsiness or not? Restless or not? Uncertain or gone beyond uncertainty? Angry or not? With soiled thoughts or unsoiled thoughts? With my body aroused or unaroused? Lazy or with persistence aroused? Unconcentrated or concentrated?'

"If, on examination, a monk knows, 'I usually remain covetous, with thoughts of ill will, overcome by sloth & drowsiness, restless, uncertain, angry, with soiled thoughts, with my body aroused, lazy, or unconcentrated,' then he should put forth extra desire, effort, diligence, endeavor, relentlessness, mindfulness, & alertness for the abandoning of those very same evil, unskillful qualities. Just as when a person whose turban or head was on fire would put forth extra desire, effort, diligence, endeavor, relentlessness, mindfulness, & alertness to put out the fire on his turban or head; in the same way, the monk should put forth extra desire, effort, diligence, endeavor, relentlessness, mindfulness, & alertness for the abandoning of those very same evil, unskillful qualities."---AN 10:51

It should be pointed out that red, yellow, and blue are the primary colours, they cannot be mixed from other colours, and they have a strength of character associated with the elements, for example red-fire- dynamism.