Jhana?

The cultivation of calm or tranquility and the development of concentration
befriend

Jhana?

Postby befriend » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:33 am

Is there still awareness of the meditation object in the first jhana? I was just noting the in and out breathing and enter some very subtle rapture and like a state of not being aware of anything it was enjoyable as I felt like I could sit like that for a long time but my awareness was less than normal I could still think but it was very different state than just closing my eyes.
nothing can destroy a man who has lived a pure life

TreeSleeper

Re: Jhana?

Postby TreeSleeper » Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:24 pm

befriend wrote:Is there still awareness of the meditation object in the first jhana? I was just noting the in and out breathing and enter some very subtle rapture and like a state of not being aware of anything it was enjoyable as I felt like I could sit like that for a long time but my awareness was less than normal I could still think but it was very different state than just closing my eyes.

No. The meditation object is dropped in the first Jhana, leaving only a illuminated radiance of knowing. I'd say put more effort into focusing on the rapture and not letting yourself become lazy and letting you attention drift once the rapture arises. You're getting really good results so keep it up my friend.
Ajahn Brahm writes a really well summary of the Jhanas.
http://www.holybooks.com/wp-content/upl ... -Janas.pdf

bodom

Postby bodom » Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:53 pm

befriend wrote:.. a state of not being aware of anything it was enjoyable as I felt like I could sit like that for a long time but my awareness was less than normal I could still think but it was very different

Losing awareness is never a good thing. Jhana is a heightened state of awareness. What you are describing sounds like a form of wrong concentration.

... states of Wrong Concentration can be useful. For instance, you can get yourself in states where you totally lose any sense of the body - strong states of concentration, not that kind of floating, deluded concentration ... states of non-perception, where you really focus on a very minute spot and refuse to deal with anything that comes in through any of the senses. As a result, you can totally blank yourself out. You lose the sense of the body, you can't hear anything, and you can stay there for long periods of time.

If you make up your mind beforehand that you're going to stay for two hours ... Two hours will seem like two minutes. It's Wrong Concentration because there's no way you're going to be able to develop any insight there.

But it has its uses. Ajaan Fuang once had to go into surgery. They were going to remove a kidney, but he didn't trust the anesthesiologist so he put himself in this state so that, no matter what happened, he wouldn't have to suffer pain ...

- Ṭhānissaro Bhikkhu

https://www.dhammatalks.org/ebook_index.html#talks

:namaste:
To study is to know the texts,
To practice is to know your defilements,
To attain the goal is to know and let go.

- Ajahn Lee Dhammadharo

With mindfulness immersed in the body
well established, restrained
with regard to the six media of contact,
always centered, the monk
can know Unbinding for himself.

- Ud 3.5

"Dont send the mind outside. Watch the mind right at the mind."

- Ajahn Dune Atulo

2600htz

Postby 2600htz » Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:37 pm

Hello:

an3.63

With the abandoning of pleasure and pain, and with the previous passing away of joy and dejection, I enter and dwell in the fourth jhāna, neither painful nor pleasant, which has purification of mindfulness by equanimity.

“Then, brahmin, when I am in such a state, if I walk back and forth, on that occasion my walking back and forth is celestial. If I am standing, on that occasion my standing is celestial. If I am sitting, on that occasion my sitting is celestial. If I lie down, on that occasion this is my celestial high and luxurious bed. This is that celestial high and luxurious bed that at present I can gain at will, without trouble or difficulty.”

You can even walk in the fourth jhana, thats how much awareness u can have :).

Regards.

Return to “Samatha Bhāvana”