Can a Buddhist drink alcohol in moderation?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
rightviewftw

Re: Can a Buddhist drink alcohol in moderation?

Post by rightviewftw » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:31 am

DooDoot wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:22 am
rightviewftw wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:53 am
Buddhist
Maybe the identitarian term 'Buddhist' needs to be defined?
Sroberto wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 1:28 am
It is clear to me that if you choose to continuously drink alcohol you are not a buddhist. I really have nothing more to add beyond that.
To avoid arguments with identitarians, I would simply say if you choose to continuously drink alcohol you are not practising the buddhist path.
I more or less agree, when a person thinks about drinking, arranges drinking and is drinking, he is going the wrong way. Same with any other immoral behavior.

DooDoot

Post by DooDoot » Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:52 am

rightviewftw wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 3:31 am
I more or less agree
:hug: :group: :heart:

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:44 am

You can be a Buddhist and do anything.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:47 am

If you want to be a practicing Buddhist who keeps the five precepts is another question though. It would still be a violation of the 5th precept. but I personally dont think breaking one of the precepts disqualifies you as a Buddhist. I know plenty of Buddhists who drink. but they practice and beleive in Buddhism and still recognize what thier doing is against the path so i wouldnt disqualify them as a Buddhist.

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.

TRobinson465

Post by TRobinson465 » Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:54 am

Just to be clear. I do not drink. But i don't define Buddhist as having to keep all the precepts diligently (even though i try to myself). If you believe in what the Buddha says, kamma, rebirth, 8 fold path and whatnot but kill ants or drinks every once in a while i would still say you are buddhist (albeit one that needs to improve his/her training).