philanthropy and dhamma

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Mahabrahma

Re: philanthropy and dhamma

Post by Mahabrahma »

dharmacorps wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 11:06 pm
Mahabrahma wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:50 pm He was such a magnanimous person that He was willing to lay down His life for animals.
Nice idea, but I don't believe there is any example of the Gautama Buddha doing this in the suttas that I have ever read.
It's not just an idea, trust in His character. It comes from this TV series and is entirely accurate. I hope you understand where He was coming from.

It was on Netflix but they took it off after a while, it is a great rendition of Buddha's life.
That sage who has perfect insight,
at the summit of spiritual perfection:
that’s who I call a brahmin.

-Dhammapada.
confusedlayman

Post by confusedlayman »

Mahabrahma wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 1:21 am
Mahabrahma wrote: Thu Sep 24, 2020 8:50 pm He was such a magnanimous person that He was willing to lay down His life for animals.
Nice idea, but I don't believe there is any example of the Gautama Buddha doing this in the suttas that I have ever read.
It's not just an idea, trust in His character. It comes from this TV series and is entirely accurate. I hope you understand where He was coming from.

It was on Netflix but they took it off after a while, it is a great rendition of Buddha's life.
That is not exact story, it is taken by director who dont have supermundane fruit
I may be slow learner but im at least learning...
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

confusedlayman wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 6:28 am

That is not exact story, it is taken by director who dont have supermundane fruit
Actually they used cool stuff to see reality as it happened in the past and also did a lot of stuff in the studio to connect to the reincarnated actors. Join the film industry. Buddhism is a large part of it.

-Dhammapada.
dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps »

I hope you understand where He was coming from.

I'm not worried about my own understanding. But if your basis for understanding is a TV show on Netflix, it isn't me you should be worried about.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

dharmacorps wrote: Fri Sep 25, 2020 4:09 pm
I hope you understand where He was coming from.

I'm not worried about my own understanding. But if your basis for understanding is a TV show on Netflix, it isn't me you should be worried about.
I'm not worried about you, and you must understand worry is not of the Dharma. However I do care about you, as well as all life including human and animal, and it is the purpose of Buddhism to emancipate living beings from the material world, which cannot be done with animal testing, abuse, or killing.

-Dhammapada.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

I saw this on Netflix. You are aware this is an Indian soap opera only loosely based on the life of the Buddha, right? Furthermore, this show has Hindutva origins and portrays the Buddha's Dharma as essentially identical to Hinduism without sacrifice. Just in case you were not aware.

The show is very good, but only because it is absurdly hilarious. To this day, a Netflix-hosted program hasn't given me so much joy. Indian soaps are the best.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

Coëmgenu wrote: Sat Sep 26, 2020 4:08 am

I saw this on Netflix. You are aware this is an Indian soap opera only loosely based on the life of the Buddha, right? Furthermore, this show has Hindutva origins and portrays the Buddha's Dharma as essentially identical to Hinduism without sacrifice. Just in case you were not aware.

The show is very good, but only because it is absurdly hilarious. To this day, a Netflix-hosted program hasn't given me so much joy. Indian soaps are the best.
Well I'm glad you liked it in some way, perhaps there was a deeper reason you enjoyed it. :smile:

-Dhammapada.
Coëmgenu

Post by Coëmgenu »

Well, it was awfully funny.
What is the Uncreated?
Sublime & free, what is that obscured Eternity?
It is the Undying, the Bright, the Isle.
It is an Ocean, a Secret: Reality.
Both life and oblivion, it is Nirvāṇa.
Mahabrahma

Post by Mahabrahma »

I understand where you are coming from. I actually took it pretty seriously and deeply sided with the Buddha, sometimes observing how strange the behavior of royalty was back then. I am glad I got to watch it up to the episodes where Buddha was Enlightened, but some time after half way through the series they ended up cancelling it. I am glad you enjoyed it.

-Dhammapada.