10th Precept

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
TRobinson465

10th Precept

Post by TRobinson465 »

Hello all,

Sorry if this is not the right category, but I wasn't sure where to pose this question.

Does anyone know/have sources on why Novice monks (Samanera) are not able to handle gold and silver (the 10th precept)? I am familiar with the story as to why the rule was made for fully ordained bhikkhus, but I am curious why this also applies to samanera. Like, of all the 227 rules to make also apply to samanera, why was it only this one about handling gold and silver that was made an official rule for samanera?

Thanks in advance. :anjali:
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.

Volo

Re: 10th Precept

Post by Volo »

There is no particular story (afaik). The novices simply asked the Buddha about the rules:
On training rules
Kd.1.56.1 Then it occurred to the novices: “Now, how many rules for training are there for us and in which we are to train?” They told this matter to the Lord. He said:
“Monks, I allow ten rules for training for novices497 and novices to train in these:
• “Restraint from onslaught on creatures;498
• “Restraint from accepting gold and silver.507
“I allow monks, these ten rules for training for novices and novices to train in these.”
Probably it is because the samaneras are also ascetics, and the followers of the "Sakyan son":
SN 42.10 wrote:For, headman, gold and silver are not allowable for the ascetics following the Sakyan son; the ascetics following the Sakyan son do not consent to gold and silver; the ascetics following the Sakyan son do not accept gold and silver. They have renounced jewellery and gold; they have given up the use of gold and silver. If gold and silver are allowable for anyone, the five cords of sensual pleasure are allowable for him. If the five cords of sensual pleasure are allowable for anyone, you can definitely consider him to be one who does not have the character of an ascetic or of a follower of the Sakyan son (assamaṇadhammo asakyaputtiyadhammo).

TRobinson465

Re: 10th Precept

Post by TRobinson465 »

Volo wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 1:57 am
There is no particular story (afaik). The novices simply asked the Buddha about the rules:
On training rules
Kd.1.56.1 Then it occurred to the novices: “Now, how many rules for training are there for us and in which we are to train?” They told this matter to the Lord. He said:
“Monks, I allow ten rules for training for novices497 and novices to train in these:
• “Restraint from onslaught on creatures;498
• “Restraint from accepting gold and silver.507
“I allow monks, these ten rules for training for novices and novices to train in these.”
Probably it is because the samaneras are also ascetics, and the followers of the "Sakyan son":
SN 42.10 wrote:For, headman, gold and silver are not allowable for the ascetics following the Sakyan son; the ascetics following the Sakyan son do not consent to gold and silver; the ascetics following the Sakyan son do not accept gold and silver. They have renounced jewellery and gold; they have given up the use of gold and silver. If gold and silver are allowable for anyone, the five cords of sensual pleasure are allowable for him. If the five cords of sensual pleasure are allowable for anyone, you can definitely consider him to be one who does not have the character of an ascetic or of a follower of the Sakyan son (assamaṇadhammo asakyaputtiyadhammo).
Interesting. thanks for the info! Appreciate the input.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"At Varanasi, in the Deer Park at Isipatana, the Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta

"Go forth, monks, for the good of the many, for the happiness of the many, out of compassion for the world, for the welfare, the good and the happiness of gods and men. Let no two of you go in the same direction." - First Khandhaka, Chapter 11, Vinaya.