Sila of Sri Lankan Buddhist monk

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
confusedlayman

Sila of Sri Lankan Buddhist monk

Post by confusedlayman »

Hey guys, just saw one video where. Sri Lanka monk slaps a layman of some other division. It created a shock as he did that act in wearing robes and orange dress and brought a shame and would like to know if vinnaya allows that’s? Or is he new monk?
Find a tree and practice jhana or dont regret later- Buddha
Something exist, dont exist, both exist and non exist, neither exist nor dont exist .. all these four possibilities are wrong- Nagarjuna
Find a dhamma companion or roam alone like rhinoceros in the wild- Buddha
If you are not happy even after following 8NP then you are doing it wrong- CL (confused layman)

MettaDevPrac

Re: Sila of Sri Lankan Buddhist monk

Post by MettaDevPrac »

I have not seen the video.

i won't speak to Vinaya (bhikkhus or scholars can do that), but it is difficult to reconcile with dedicated practice of even laity.

Precepts, for laity or the ordained, are training rules; infractions can happen, and hopefully are observed, examined, leading to deeper understanding, effort, and purification of the mind. I have found Bhikkhus Bodhi's writing about Taking Refuge and Taking Precepts helpful in understanding the development of Sila (morality, or moral conduct).

https://bodhimonastery.org/going-for-re ... cepts.html

Perhaps this quote from it can be helpful (ariyan mean Noble, as in, conducive to or leading towards liberation):
Though the way of life laid down for the monastic order, with its emphasis on renunciation and meditation, is most conducive to attaining the state of an ariyan, the monastic Sangha and the ariyan Sangha are not coextensive. Their makeup can differ, and that for two reasons: first, because many monks — the vast majority in fact — are still worldlings (puthujjana) and thence cannot function as a refuge; and second, because the ariyan Sangha can also include laymen. Membership in the ariyan Sangha depends solely on spiritual achievement and not on formal ordination. Anyone — layman or monk — who penetrates the Buddha’s teaching by direct vision gains admission through that very attainment itself.
- MettaDevPrac

kalyana.mitta

Post by kalyana.mitta »

Haven't seen the video either but I don't think monks are allowed to do that. But also consider that there are many false monks that wear robes just to get donations, food, respect from people. If that was a real monk that has gone forth, I don't think they would do such a thing.

Bhikkhu Pesala

Post by Bhikkhu Pesala »

As usual, it depends on the intention.

Pācittiya 74. Should any bhikkhu, angered and displeased, give a blow to (another) bhikkhu, it is to be confessed.
The factors for the full offence here are three.
1) Object: another bhikkhu.
2) Effort: One gives him a blow
3) Intention: out of anger.

If a bhikkhu strikes with anger one who is unordained (a novice or lay person) it is an offence of wrong-doing.

Non-offences. According to the Vibhaṅga, there is no offence for a bhikkhu who, trapped in a difficult situation, gives a blow “desiring freedom.” The Commentary’s discussion of this point shows that it includes what we at present would call self‑defence; and the K/Commentary’s analysis of the factors of the offence here shows that even if anger or displeasure arises in one’s mind in cases like this, there is no penalty.
Summary: Giving a blow to another bhikkhu when motivated by anger is a Pācittiya offence.
BlogPāli FontsIn This Very LifeBuddhist ChroniclesSoftware (Upasampadā: 24th June, 1979)