Slaughterhouse workers

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Sam Vara

Slaughterhouse workers

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:31 pm

A BBC article on the psychological stress involved in killing animals for a living. I've seen lots of these types of arguments before, but this one makes its case quite effectively:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-50986683

sentinel

Re: Slaughterhouse workers

Post by sentinel » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:47 pm

So , should consumers share a part of the slaughtering karma ?
“Three things cannot be long hidden: the sun, the moon, and the truth.” -Buddha

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:59 pm

sentinel wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:47 pm
Apparently not, but I'm hoping that's another benefit of veganism. :thinking:

char101

Post by char101 » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:31 pm

One that believe in kamma, while doing this kind of immoral action, will feel remorse, thus making the kamma result weaker due the weakness of the mind. Those who do it out of ignorance will reap more bad result. So just knowing Buddhism has already help one in this case.

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:57 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:59 pm
sentinel wrote:
I think veganism probably is an extreme . Honey and milk ain't the problem . Exploitation is . Even deforestation although not intentionally committing killing (but should counting on animals extermination along it ) could cause massive devastation and other side effects .

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 pm

sentinel wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:57 pm

I think veganism probably is an extreme . Honey and milk ain't the problem . Exploitation is . Even deforestation although not intentionally committing killing (but should counting on animals extermination along it ) could cause massive devastation and other side effects .
I'm only saying that veganism absolves me of that particular problem. Everyone needs to make their own mind up on that one.

Exploitation is certainly bad in some respects, but seems too vague a term to provide much guidance for action. "Exploitation" can mean many different things.

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:01 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 pm
I'm only saying that veganism absolves me of that particular problem. Everyone needs to make their own mind up on that one.

Exploitation is certainly bad in some respects, but seems too vague a term to provide much guidance for action. "Exploitation" can mean many different things.
I just say according to Buddha being a meat eater
does not seems to be a problem . But if looking at the slaughtering one feels compassion then it is fine to follow non meat diet .

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:12 pm

sentinel wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:01 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:51 pm

I just say according to Buddha being a meat eater
does not seems to be a problem . But if looking at the slaughtering one feels compassion then it is fine to follow non meat diet .
Yes, that's pretty much my view, too. :anjali:

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:37 pm

If the Buddha ate meat, it doesn't make it ok for me, because I don't presume to be on the same level as a Buddha, nor do I want to eat the dead bodies of other beings. Why don't people who like eating meat eat the bodies of dead humans from hospitals and morgues? It would save a lot of animal suffering.

Death by clubbing: the brutality of Thailand's pig slaughterhouses
"Humane killing practices are virtually unknown in the majority of Thailand’s abattoirs, say campaigners, with millions of pigs dying in pain."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment ... hterhouses

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:10 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
sentinel wrote:
Millions of creatures are killed to grow vegetable use of pesticides.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:54 pm

SarathW wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:10 pm
Sam Vara wrote:
sentinel wrote:
Millions of creatures are killed to grow vegetable use of pesticides.
Sure. I'm familiar with all the arguments. It's based mainly on sentiment, but it seems worse for me to tacitly require someone to bludgeon and slit the throats of very large frightened mammals than to pay people to deploy pesticides. At the very least, that spares fellow humans from the types of extreme trauma mentioned in the article. There's no escaping killing, but some sorts are less acceptable to me than others.

SarathW

Post by SarathW » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:14 pm

Yes, I see your point.
A cow is more grosser than an ant.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

alfa

Post by alfa » Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:18 am

Just out of curiosity. What if 'non-slaughter' also leads to problems? Is slaughtering then okay?

sentinel

Post by sentinel » Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:33 am

If Buddha had psychic (which I believe he has) he could foreseen the massive slaughtering in this epoch but why he did not adopted the vegetarian diet himself and thus his disciples to reduce animals sufferings ?! Instead , we are doing the job where the Buddha could not perform himself .
Don't be mistaken , I was once on vegetarian diet for 7 years . Even now I am on vegetarian diet twice in a month or possible couple more days .

Workers doing the slaughtering were hired by big bosses which links to such as large supplier of beef cattle (other livestock) producer and feedlot operator company .
By being on vegetarian diet one could not stop the slaughtering but it is good you and I tried .

Buddha , arahants , non arahants , monks and lay peoples from the Buddha times took meats , but they never have this kind of concern . Yet , at this modern era we are having multitude concerns and multitasking to be taken as our responsibilities !
We have to be God or as Mahayana Buddhism Bodhisattva in order to accomplish this type of missions which Theravada Buddhism rejected of course . Isn't it so ?
In Theravada Buddhism where you saves yourself first by trainings in the noble path and if possible to share some dhammas to others .

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:23 am

sentinel wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:33 am
Buddha , arahants , non arahants , monks and lay peoples from the Buddha times took meats , but they never have this kind of concern . Yet , at this modern era we are having multitude concerns and multitasking to be taken as our responsibilities !
We have to be God or as Mahayana Buddhism Bodhisattva in order to accomplish this type of missions which Theravada Buddhism rejected of course . Isn't it so ?
In Theravada Buddhism where you saves yourself first by trainings in the noble path and if possible to share some dhammas to others .
Maybe in the modern era there are more people who have loving kindness and compassion for non-human beings. Being a vegetarian or a vegan shows that they're not prepared to be part of the killing and meat trade, because if one buys and eats meat,(or has someone else buy and prepare it) one most certainly is, even if one doesn't kill the animals oneself.

However there will always be those who try to deny this fact in one way or another because they're addicted to the taste of flesh and blood.