Drinking 0.5% non alcoholic beer

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Disciple

Drinking 0.5% non alcoholic beer

Post by Disciple »

Does this constitute as a precept violation?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: Drinking 0.5% non alcoholic beer

Post by retrofuturist »

Greetings,

If you can become intoxicated and heedless on 0.5% non-alcoholic beer then fair play to you.

:toast:

Moreover, I think an effort to do so would just lead to bloating and frequent urination, neither of which are violations of the precepts.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

Aloka

Post by Aloka »

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:52 pm
Greetings,

If you can become intoxicated and heedless on 0.5% non-alcoholic beer then fair play to you.

Moreover, I think an effort to do so would just lead to bloating and frequent urination, neither of which are violations of the precepts.

Metta,
:rofl:

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Maybe depends on your metabolism. For me, even 0.5% beer has an unpleasant effect on me, whereas flamed crepes are fine...

:heart:
Mike

Kim OHara

Post by Kim OHara »

mikenz66 wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:07 pm
Maybe depends on your metabolism. For me, even 0.5% beer has an unpleasant effect on me, whereas flamed crepes are fine...

Mike
Maybe your climate, too. Here in the dry tropics we have to work hard to stay hydrated and I often drink light beer as a substitute for soft drinks, as a way of avoiding the mind-bogglingly excessive sugar in soft drinks.
Sure, water is fine - and I drink lots - but the fizz is nice and the cold is nice. As for getting drunk or even moderately heedless on it, it isn't a problem. As retro said, you would have to drink so much you would get physically uncomfortable first.

Kim

mikenz66

Post by mikenz66 »

Well, I'm just reporting what I have experienced. People are different. Perhaps the "no alcohol beer" I had was stronger than that (it was in China a few years ago). It didn't make me, but certainly messed with my mental clarity.

Mike

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Disciple wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:02 pm
Yes.
Forget the Buddha. Try to convince a policeman to get away from a fine that you had only 0.5 alcoholic Beer.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19594&p=
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

retrofuturist wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:52 pm
Greetings,

Metta,
:twothumbsup:

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

SarathW wrote:
Wed Jan 01, 2020 12:12 pm
Disciple wrote:
Tue Dec 31, 2019 10:02 pm
Yes.
Forget the Buddha. Try to convince a policeman to get away from a fine that you had only 0.5 alcoholic Beer.

viewtopic.php?f=13&t=19594&p=
I've read that a slice of chocolate cake and a cup of orange juice have the same level of alcohol as a pint of non alcoholic beer. I doubt that laypeople and monks who enjoy those are breaking the precept.

SarathW

Post by SarathW »

A study conducted by the department of psychology at Indiana University said, "Because non-alcoholic beer provides sensory cues that simulate alcoholic beer, this beverage may be more effective than other placebos in contributing to a credible manipulation of expectancies to receive alcohol",[8] making people feel "drunk" when physically they are not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-alcohol_beer
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

SarathW wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 1:30 am
A study conducted by the department of psychology at Indiana University said, "Because non-alcoholic beer provides sensory cues that simulate alcoholic beer, this beverage may be more effective than other placebos in contributing to a credible manipulation of expectancies to receive alcohol",[8] making people feel "drunk" when physically they are not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low-alcohol_beer
Drank one last night. Didn't feel anything.

robertk

Post by robertk »

The best non alcohol beers are from japan. And they have less than 0.01% alcohol- essentially zero alcohol.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/matcha-jp. ... 3famp=true

I sometimes indulge after a hard day in the onsens with my wife.

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

From what I hear the best ones are from Germany but they are a little pricey. I would love to try out the ones from Japan if I can find them here. The one I tried so far is Coors Edge which wasn't that bad.

robertk

Post by robertk »

Disciple wrote:
Thu Jan 02, 2020 5:29 pm
From what I hear the best ones are from Germany but they are a little pricey. I would love to try out the ones from Japan if I can find them here. The one I tried so far is Coors Edge which wasn't that bad.
I tried one in switzerland that was pretty good- but if you can get hold of an Asahi Dry Zero let us know what you think. The only American I tried was Budweiser , which was awful.

Disciple

Post by Disciple »

Absolutely I'll let you know :toast: