5 precepts

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
befriend

5 precepts

Post by befriend » Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:59 pm

I've heard that the precepts also contain things to do I know the first precepts is undertaking the practice to refrain from destroying life and also to dwell compassionately towards all sentient beings. Does anyone know what the other four are? The opposites of stealing lying sexual misconduct and drinking and drugs are?
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.

SarathW

Re: 5 precepts

Post by SarathW » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:51 pm

Refrain:
1."I undertake the training-precept to abstain from onslaught on breathing beings." (Pali: Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.)
2."I undertake the training-precept to abstain from taking what is not given." (Pali: Adinnādānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.)
3."I undertake the training-precept to abstain from misconduct concerning sense-pleasures." (Pali: Kāmesumicchācāra veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.)
4."I undertake the training-precept to abstain from false speech." (Pali: Musāvādā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.)
5."I undertake the training-precept to abstain from alcoholic drink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five_precepts

Practice:
1) Loving kindness
2)Genorosity
3)Right intention (renunciation or Nekkhamma) or Brhamachariya etc.
4)Right speech
5)Mindfulness
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”

befriend

Post by befriend » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:00 am

Thanks SarathW
Take care of mindfulness and mindfulness will take care of you.

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:47 am

Forming the Path into Three Groups
The Noble Eightfold Path falls naturally into the following groups:
(1) Morality group: right speech, right action, and right livelihood.
(2) Concentration group: right effort, right mindfulness, and right concentration.
(3) Wisdom group: right view and right thought.
If the three constituents of the morality group are considered in detail then they become the set
of precepts with livelihood as the eighth, in this way:
I shall refrain from killing living creatures.
I shall refrain from taking what is not given.
I shall refrain from wrong conduct in sexual pleasures and from intoxicants—
these three comprise right action.
1 shall refrain from false speech.
I shall refrain from tale-bearing.
I shall refrain from harsh talk.
I shall refrain from useless chatter—
these four comprise right speech.
I undertake right livelihood, refraining from dishonesty, violence, and killing.

https://what-buddha-said.net/library/Wheels/wh245.pdf · PDF file

Nwad

Post by Nwad » Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:20 am

Thanks Sarath :anjali:

Buddho93

Post by Buddho93 » Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:51 pm

SarathW wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:51 pm
Refrain:
1."I undertake the training-precept to abstain from onslaught on breathing beings." (Pali: Pāṇātipātā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.)
2."I undertake the training-precept to abstain from taking what is not given." (Pali: Adinnādānā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.)
3."I undertake the training-precept to abstain from misconduct concerning sense-pleasures." (Pali: Kāmesumicchācāra veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.)
4."I undertake the training-precept to abstain from false speech." (Pali: Musāvādā veramaṇī sikkhāpadaṃ samādiyāmi.)
That’s very interesting I’ve never known the 3rd precept translated as broadly as involving general sensual pleasures, only in terms of ‘sexual misconduct’ which is probably its narrower form.

That’s what I respect about the precepts, they can be constantly refined and perfected. Like the fourth precept could be practiced as refraining from lying or as wrong speech which is a much broader spectrum which would be much higher practice.
May there be every Blessing
May all Heavenly Beings protect you
Through the power of all the
Buddhas,
Dhammas
and Sanghas
May you be happy and well :anjali:

salayatananirodha

Post by salayatananirodha » Tue Aug 20, 2019 2:25 pm

Buddho93 wrote:
Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:51 pm
SarathW wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:51 pm
Refrain:
That’s very interesting I’ve never known the 3rd precept translated as broadly as involving general sensual pleasures, only in terms of ‘sexual misconduct’ which is probably its narrower form.

That’s what I respect about the precepts, they can be constantly refined and perfected. Like the fourth precept could be practiced as refraining from lying or as wrong speech which is a much broader spectrum which would be much higher practice.
avoiding nonfactual speech is a good idea, but nonfactual speech is not itself musāvādā
see the expanded definition here:
http://www.buddha-vacana.org/sutta/anguttara/10/an10-176.html wrote:Here, Cunda, having given up musāvāda, he is one who abstains from musāvāda. When he has been brought to the meeting hall, in front of an assembly, among his relatives, his guild, in the midst of the royal court, on being asked as a witness: 'come, my good man, what you know, tell us', if he doesn't know, he says: 'I don't know', if he knows, he says: 'I know', if he has not seen, he says: 'I have not seen', if he has seen, he says: 'I have seen'. Thus, whether for his own sake, or for the sake of someone else, or for the sake of some trifle gain, he is not one who deliberately speaks falsely.
see the expanded definition too of kāmesumicchācāra:
Having given up kāmesu-micchā-cāra, one abstains from kāmesu-micchā-cāra, he is not one who falls into such a conduct with a woman who is protected by her mother, protected by her father, protected by both her parents, protected by her brother, protected by her sister, protected by her relatives, protected by her clan, protected by the Dhamma, one who has a husband, who is liable to punishment, or even one on whom wreaths (of flowers) have been spread.
16. 'In what has the world originated?' — so said the Yakkha Hemavata, — 'with what is the world intimate? by what is the world afflicted, after having grasped at what?' (167)

17. 'In six the world has originated, O Hemavata,' — so said Bhagavat, — 'with six it is intimate, by six the world is afflicted, after having grasped at six.' (168)

- Hemavatasutta

links:
https://www.ancient-buddhist-texts.net/index.htm
http://thaiforestwisdom.org/canonical-texts/
http://seeingthroughthenet.net/wp-conte ... _Heart.pdf
https://www.dhammatalks.org/index.html

Dhammanando

Post by Dhammanando » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:03 pm

befriend wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 10:59 pm
Does anyone know what the other four are? The opposites of stealing lying sexual misconduct and drinking and drugs are?
Killing: "with the rod and weapon laid aside, conscientious and kindly, dwelling compassionate toward all living beings."

Stealing: "accepting only what is given, expecting only what is given, and being honest at heart, devoid of theft."

Lying: speaking the truth, adhering to the truth, being trustworthy and reliable, no deceiver of the world."

In the amplification of the third precept, when it is taken as "abrahmacariyā veramaṇī" there's no positive instruction but just a reiteration of the abstinence entailed:

Unchastity: "observing celibacy, living apart, abstaining from sexual intercourse, the common person’s practice."

When it is taken as "kāmesu micchācārā veramaṇī" the amplification is not a positive injunction but merely a list of the types of person who are off limits. With the fifth precept there's no amplification at all.

Some modern Buddhist groups have formulated their own positive formulations of the five precepts. For example, the Triratna Buddhist Order (formerly called the Friends of the Western Buddhist Order) has:
With deeds of lovingkindness, I purify my body.
With open-handed generosity, I purify my body.
With stillness, simplicity, and contentment, I purify my body.
With truthful communication, I purify my speech.
With mindfulness, clear and radiant, I purify my mind.
“Keep to your own pastures, bhikkhus, walk in the haunts where your fathers roamed.
If ye thus walk in them, Māra will find no lodgement, Māra will find no foothold.”
— Cakkavattisīhanāda Sutta

Buddho93

Post by Buddho93 » Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:53 pm

With deeds of lovingkindness, I purify my body.
With open-handed generosity, I purify my body.
With stillness, simplicity, and contentment, I purify my body.
With truthful communication, I purify my speech.
With mindfulness, clear and radiant, I purify my mind.
[/quote]

I like that, as a companion to the regular five precepts.

🙏
May there be every Blessing
May all Heavenly Beings protect you
Through the power of all the
Buddhas,
Dhammas
and Sanghas
May you be happy and well :anjali:

pitakele

Post by pitakele » Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:59 am

Here is another expanded version
1. I train myself in harmlessness, refraining from the taking of any life, and developing love and compassion for all beings.

2. I train myself in non-greed, refraining from using or taking what is not freely given, as well as respecting the property of others.

3. I train myself in responsible sexual conduct, refraining from sexual activity harmful to any party, and using this energy in moderation to strengthen harmony within a relationship.

4. I train myself in truthfulness, refraining from false or deceptive speech, and speaking words that are factual, timely, gentle, harmonious and useful.

5. I train myself in awareness, refraining from intoxicating substances that condition heedlessness, and at all times aspiring to mental clarity and mindfulness.
now here = nowhere