What are the Karmic Effects of Lying?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Akashad

Re: What are the Karmic Effects of Lying?

Post by Akashad » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:19 pm

DooDoot wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:25 pm
DooDoot wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:07 am
Sorry, I don't have time now to find the sutta references for the below.
The first & best quote is from AN 8.40.
(4) “False speech, repeatedly pursued, developed, and cultivated, is conducive to hell, to the animal realm, and to the sphere of afflicted spirits; for one reborn as a human being false speech at minimum conduces to false accusations.

(5) “Divisive speech, repeatedly pursued, developed, and cultivated, is conducive to hell, to the animal realm, and to the sphere of afflicted spirits; for one reborn as a human being divisive speech at minimum conduces to being divided from one’s friends.

(6) “Harsh speech, repeatedly pursued, developed, and cultivated, is conducive to hell, to the animal realm, and to the sphere of afflicted spirits; for one reborn as a human being harsh speech at minimum conduces to disagreeable sounds.

(7) “Idle chatter, repeatedly pursued, developed, and cultivated, is conducive to hell, to the animal realm, and to the sphere of afflicted spirits; for one reborn as a human being idle chatter at minimum conduces to others distrusting one’s words.

https://suttacentral.net/an8.40/en/bodhi
Lying, when cultivated, developed, and practiced, leads to hell, the animal realm, or the ghost realm.
Musāvādo, bhikkhave, āsevito bhāvito bahulīkato nirayasaṃvattaniko tiracchānayonisaṃvattaniko pettivisayasaṃvattaniko.

The minimum result it leads to for a human being is false accusations.
Yo sabbalahuso musāvādassa vipāko, manussabhūtassa abhūtabbhakkhānasaṃvattaniko hoti. (4)

Divisive speech, when cultivated, developed, and practiced, leads to hell, the animal realm, or the ghost realm.
Pisuṇā, bhikkhave, vācā āsevitā bhāvitā bahulīkatā nirayasaṃvattanikā tiracchānayonisaṃvattanikā pettivisayasaṃvattanikā.

The minimum result it leads to for a human being is being divided against friends.
Yo sabbalahuso pisuṇāya vācāya vipāko, manussabhūtassa mittehi bhedanasaṃvattaniko hoti. (5)

Harsh speech, when cultivated, developed, and practiced, leads to hell, the animal realm, or the ghost realm.
Pharusā, bhikkhave, vācā āsevitā bhāvitā bahulīkatā nirayasaṃvattanikā tiracchānayonisaṃvattanikā pettivisayasaṃvattanikā.

The minimum result it leads to for a human being is hearing disagreeable things.
Yo sabbalahuso pharusāya vācāya vipāko, manussabhūtassa amanāpasaddasaṃvattaniko hoti. (6)

Talking nonsense, when cultivated, developed, and practiced, leads to hell, the animal realm, or the ghost realm.
Samphappalāpo, bhikkhave, āsevito bhāvito bahulīkato nirayasaṃvattaniko tiracchānayonisaṃvattaniko pettivisayasaṃvattaniko.

The minimum result it leads to for a human being is that no-one takes what you say seriously.
Yo sabbalahuso samphappalāpassa vipāko, manussabhūtassa anādeyyavācāsaṃvattaniko hoti. (7)

https://suttacentral.net/an8.40/en/sujato
Thanks dootdoot!you legend👌🙌

Dinsdale

Post by Dinsdale » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:03 pm

Lying is potentially very destructive to personal relationships, since the truth always comes out sooner or later. Obviously it comes back to intention.
Buddha save me from new-agers!

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:07 pm

UPDATE,well got falsely accused of being rude today for asking someone to kindly do their job.Then they accussed somebody else next to me so I thought well bye. Thought of dhamma and did 2 minutes of brahmavihara then every one suddenly sugary sweet again.They were so nice they even did my job for me like happily. Karma is just blatantly in our faces all the time.Breaking the precepts truly sucks.

Sam Vara

Post by Sam Vara » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:46 pm

Akashad wrote:
Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:07 pm
UPDATE,well got falsely accused of being rude today for asking someone to kindly do their job.Then they accussed somebody else next to me so I thought well bye. Thought of dhamma and did 2 minutes of brahmavihara then every one suddenly sugary sweet again.They were so nice they even did my job for me like happily. Karma is just blatantly in our faces all the time.Breaking the precepts truly sucks.
:thumbsup: I'm glad to hear that it worked out well on that occasion! Bear in mind, though, that it might not always be that way, and that despite our very best efforts things can sometimes spiral from bad to worse, and then still worse. Still, enjoy and be happy! :anjali:

manas

Post by manas » Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:06 pm

Akashad wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:34 am
Hello,

I've been trying to compile a list of karma vipaka to help me keep the precepts better but I can't seem to find much information about what results from lying.
Have you ever noticed how, if you discover that someone has lied to you often enough, and/or over a period of time, that you can get to this stage where you simply no longer trust their word on anything, no matter what protestations they might make, that they are telling the truth?

That's a kamma-vipaka evident in the here-and-now, from lying: others no longer trust one's word.

:anjali:
How often we regret having said too much, and how seldom, too little!

Akashad

Post by Akashad » Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:18 am

manas wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2019 8:06 pm
Akashad wrote:
Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:34 am
Hello,

I've been trying to compile a list of karma vipaka to help me keep the precepts better but I can't seem to find much information about what results from lying.
Have you ever noticed how, if you discover that someone has lied to you often enough, and/or over a period of time, that you can get to this stage where you simply no longer trust their word on anything, no matter what protestations they might make, that they are telling the truth?

That's a kamma-vipaka evident in the here-and-now, from lying: others no longer trust one's word.

:anjali:
Hi manas,

I still give them the benefit of the doubt just in case this time their telling the truth.Even if they are a known liar when it comes to serious things like saying somebody hurt them or someone stoled their money I still look into things.For proof or evidence.I won't disregard it as just lies cause they lie all the time.If it's just lying about minor matters then I don't really care even if their telling the truth.But major situations I'll always think there might be some truth to it and look for evidence.Every time I encounter people who lie casually like it very easily rolls out of their tongue about minor things it just makes me feel slightly amused like watching a comedy show in other words Its not that I don't believe them I just don't take them seriously if it's minor things. :anjali:

2600htz

Post by 2600htz » Thu Jun 20, 2019 3:36 am

Hello

The karmic effect of lying is being reborn with a big nose :)

Regards

phillyy

Post by phillyy » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 pm

There is nothing too heinous for a liar. No crime too vile.

Liars should not be trusted at all.

chownah

Post by chownah » Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 am

Your nose gets longer.
chownah

Aloka

Post by Aloka » Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:21 am

2600htz wrote:
The karmic effect of lying is being reborn with a big nose
chownah wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 1:53 am

Your nose gets longer.