What about drinking Kombucha?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
tamdrin

What about drinking Kombucha?

Post by tamdrin » Sun May 26, 2019 2:22 pm

Kombucha is a big craze at all the health food stores here in the US. The label says it has naturally occurring alcohol. I understand it is less than .5% per serving. There is no "intoxicating" effect from drinking Kombucha. What do ya'll think about it?

Nwad

Re: What about drinking Kombucha?

Post by Nwad » Sun May 26, 2019 2:54 pm

If there is no (visible) effect so there is no reasons to drink it, better to take sprinkled water or juice, imho...

Idappaccayata

Post by Idappaccayata » Sun May 26, 2019 3:15 pm

You would have to drink an impossible amount to feel any effect, and it's good for your gut health. There's no reason not to drink it.
A dying man can only rely upon his wisdom, if he developed it. Wisdom is not dependent upon any phenomenon originated upon six senses. It is developed on the basis of the discernment of the same. That’s why when one’s senses start to wither and die, the knowledge of their nature remains unaffected. When there is no wisdom, there will be despair, in the face of death.

- Ajahn Nyanamoli Thero

tamdrin

Post by tamdrin » Sun May 26, 2019 3:19 pm

Nwad wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 2:54 pm
If there is no (visible) effect so there is no reasons to drink it, better to take sprinkled water or juice, imho...

I drink it because I like the stuff.... It's better than my coke habit too! :)

santa100

Post by santa100 » Sun May 26, 2019 3:35 pm

tamdrin wrote:The label says it has naturally occurring alcohol. I understand it is less than .5% per serving.
But combining that with its potential adverse effects, it might be a good idea for one to explore other non-alcohol and safe alternatives first.

sunnat

Post by sunnat » Sun May 26, 2019 3:52 pm

Is a little bit of lying ok? A bit of stealing...

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun May 26, 2019 5:29 pm

Greetings Idappaccayata, all,
Idappaccayata wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 3:15 pm
You would have to drink an impossible amount to feel any effect, and it's good for your gut health. There's no reason not to drink it.
I agree. If "you would have to drink an impossible amount to feel any effect", then it's impossible you will be doing anything other than "abstaining from the condition of intoxication and carelessness caused by beer and cider (or, alcoholic drinks)"

I might add that another fermented product, soy sauce, contains alcohol too. Has anyone ever been intoxicated on soy sauce?

The Buddha even allowed specified use of alcohol in medicinal concoctions, so all in all, I find it hard to worry about kombucha.

:shrug:

Remember, the purpose of the Noble Eightfold Path is to become overcome dukkha, not be puritanical.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Sun May 26, 2019 5:47 pm

Alcohol amounts in kombucha can go as high as 2.5% alcohol. There have been efforts to have warnings written on the bottles for alcoholics or others who abstain.

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun May 26, 2019 5:54 pm

Greetings,
dharmacorps wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:47 pm
Alcohol amounts in kombucha can go as high as 2.5% alcohol. There have been efforts to have warnings written on the bottles for alcoholics or others who abstain.
I'll raise you that, and go 4.0%.

Obviously at that potency, it constitutes an alcohol beverage. At zero point bubkus, however, it ain't gonna do squat.

Metta,
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

dharmacorps

Post by dharmacorps » Sun May 26, 2019 6:13 pm

true-- when I was drinking I couldn't even get a buzz off standard American style beer.

I have not discovered great alternatives to soy sauce, but I don't see the reason to ever drink Kombucha. You're only ever going to use a sprinkling of soy sauce, but people drink a lot of kombucha.

A lot of people where I live brew their own, and you never know how much alcohol is in it. A business I own had an employee passing out her own homemade stuff, and we had to stop that because we couldn't verify the alcohol content one employee said it gave her a buzz even.

On a personal note, I find kombucha disgusting. Both in taste, smell and appearance!

tamdrin

Post by tamdrin » Sun May 26, 2019 7:58 pm

dharmacorps wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 5:47 pm

That may have been when the product first came out in stores. Since then they have lowered the alcohol content, as I understand.

budo

Post by budo » Sun May 26, 2019 10:47 pm

Don't fall for fads, eat real food like meat.

I remember in 2012 when Vegans were hyping blue-green algae as a superfood, now it's found to be pretty toxic and dangerous. Turns out they were just trying to get rid of their algae overgrowth caused by artificial ammonia crop fertilizer running off into lakes.

tamdrin

Post by tamdrin » Sun May 26, 2019 10:54 pm

budo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:47 pm

I remember in 2012 when Vegans were hyping blue-green algae as a superfood, now it's found to be pretty toxic and dangerous. Turns out they were just trying to get rid of their algae overgrowth caused by artificial ammonia crop fertilizer running off into lakes.
You are the one who said a vegetarian diet would be bad for me with my mental condition right?

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Sun May 26, 2019 10:57 pm

Greetings,

Let's not drift too far from the topic please...

:thanks:

Feel free to start a new topic if there's a new discussion to be had.

Metta,

budo

Post by budo » Sun May 26, 2019 11:02 pm

tamdrin wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:54 pm
budo wrote:
Sun May 26, 2019 10:47 pm

You are the one who said a vegetarian diet would be bad for me with my mental condition right?
Yes, and to stay on topic of Kambucha as retrofuturist requested:

If you think sugar fermented by fungus is food, you're in for a bad time. All fermentation is bad, anything that deprives your cells of oxygen is cancer promoting and toxic.