Listening to music generates demerit

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
sunnat

Post by sunnat » Sat May 04, 2019 11:48 am

The path aim is the total purification of the mind. The end of of craving, aversion and ignorance as reaction to pleasant, unpleasant and neutral sensations and thus the end of greed, hatred and delusion.

Indulging in sensual entertainment is at best a waste of time. While listening to music progress is brought to a standstill. Abstaining from sensual entertainment serves a practical purpose to a path walker. It is wise to do so. It leads to wisdom.

Aloka

Re: Listening to music generates demerit

Post by Aloka » Sat May 04, 2019 1:06 pm

Sam Vara wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:25 pm
Everaldo wrote:
Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:16 pm
Listening to music generates demerit (bad deeds, bad kamma)?
I don't think so, no. It might according to some Buddhists be a waste of time, or lead to a heightened reliance on sense-perceptions, but it is not proscribed for lay people.
Listening to music breaks the precepts of virtue?
Lay followers on eight or ten precepts deny themselves music; those on five allow themselves music.
Who listens to music becomes a bad person?
My personal experience doesn't support that; I know some musicians and people who listen to lots of music who are very good people.
Does listening to music generate demerit as much as killing and stealing?
Making an inference from the precepts, my own personal experience, and what the Buddha seemed most concerned to steer us away from, I would say no.
I agree. Two musicians I know,and also their wives and families, have always been the kindest and most reliable people I've ever known.

markandeya

Post by markandeya » Mon May 06, 2019 4:08 am

:anjali:

It depends what terms as music. The developed citta can hear celestial sounds, often some practitioners can hear a hum, Ajhan Summedo calls this the sound of silence. Some teachers quite amusingly teach awareness on Tinnitus as that sound, it is not this that is the universal hum. They are fooling people, but it may help with initial forms of concentrating the mind, same as body sweeping, or breathing awareness in the nose, ultimately it has to centre in the citta alone between the eyebrows above the senses or centre of senses for citta to turn inwards.

In Asia or more traditional Asia most the music sounds are recitations of suttas or texts or one type or another, so the vibrations in the either or out atmosphere seem more conducive for meditation. As far as I understand the translations is that one should not delight in music, its a bit of a difference. Music and expressing our deeper feelings go together. Some of the Western Monastic Traditions are very dry with a false renunciation to suppress joy. Where in the east and other naturally arising forms of spirituality music is central, bhajans is divine music, sufi's make music for trance, sikh do gurbani deep devotional sound based on Nam, which is again is cosmic enlightened divine sound, cosmic sound vibrations vak, vad, Dhrupada is originally developed for samadhi states. Science of nada is within all traditions, so there must be something to it. Most monastics I know enjoy chanting suttas, its calming, brings mind to balance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBEQSRqllTI

Buddha calms the five senses with sound

sadhu sadhu sadhu

sa~cosmic sound
dh~held , concentrated
u~transcendent

:namaste:

Ceisiwr

Post by Ceisiwr » Mon May 06, 2019 5:02 am

Classical music helps me to study

markandeya

Post by markandeya » Wed May 08, 2019 4:19 am

Music was always a large part of all spirtual traditions where the divine music within was expressed without to make union of the inner and the outer.

Sufis were also Buddhist, where Buddha just meant a person who was awake and could be independent from religions and institutions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er-8k4XmKR4

sending metta to our muslim brothers and sisters this Eid

Rumi and Shams Tabriz his guru were both Buddha's. awakened Beings.

Goraknath too, who is considered one of the 84 Mahasiddhas in Tibetan Buddha Dharma.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfS431M7VsA

meanings are so beautiful and elevating to mind if one understands the languages.

:anjali: