lice

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
retrofuturist
Site Admin

Re: lice

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Jan 03, 2019 12:24 am

Greetings Dylan,
dylanj wrote:
Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:27 pm
what do you do if you get lice?
If you mean me, I kill them. Well, rather, I shave my head every 3 weeks or so, so there's not much risk of me getting lice personally, but if a family member gets lice, then it's straight to the professional, chemical head-lice treatments.

Further to posts above, I recommend getting onto the infestation as soon as possible. Nip it in the bud. Otherwise, it will simply proliferate and spread to other people, and get worse - I see no merit in allowing and enabling that additional generation of dukkha.

Metta,
Paul. :)
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:03 am

I've never had lice and I've never heard anyone ever in my life mention having them (I mean real people, not internet entities)......I feel like I have so far missed out on one of the fundamental experiences of humanity.
chownah

retrofuturist
Site Admin

Post by retrofuturist » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:24 am

Greetings chownah,

Having just tediously run the lice brush through two family members' hair over the past week, I can assure you it's a thing. But then, I may just be an Internet entity.

Metta,
"The uprooting of identity is seen by the noble ones as pleasurable; but this contradicts what the whole world sees." (Snp 3.12)

"It is natural that one who knows and sees things as they really are is disenchanted and dispassionate." (AN 10.2)

“Truth does not change according to our ability to stomach it.” (Flannery O'Connor)

rightviewftw

Post by rightviewftw » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:34 am

deleted
Last edited by rightviewftw on Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:22 am, edited 4 times in total.

chownah

Post by chownah » Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:47 am

retrofuturist wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:24 am
Greetings chownah,

Having just tediously run the lice brush through two family members' hair over the past week, I can assure you it's a thing. But then, I may just be an Internet entity.

Metta,
I am so often misunderstood. I have not expressed doubt as to it being a "thing" at all. What my post is about is that I feel like I can not fully understand the full scope of human experience without ever having exposure to lice. It is a dreadful, empty sort of feeling. Can someone help me with this? I can't help but believe that I would become a more compassionate person if I could experience a lice infestation. Also it would provide many opportunities to engage in polite conversation (something I have little experience with) instead of just making my usual lousy (pun) attempts.
Help...someone?
chownah

denise

Post by denise » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:41 pm

hello all...anyone remember the story of the old master standing in the hot sun perfectly still? his prospective student asked the old master finally...why are you standing in the hot sun? the old master said it was lunch time.... for the creatures/beings on his body....the old master was fine with that....could we be? :thinking:

AgarikaJ

Post by AgarikaJ » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:02 am

chownah wrote:
Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:03 am
I've never had lice and I've never heard anyone ever in my life mention having them (I mean real people, not internet entities)......I feel like I have so far missed out on one of the fundamental experiences of humanity.
chownah
@chownah, from your user name I would have guessed you to live in Northeastern Thailand. If you wish to get acquainted with lice infestations, simply make contact with your local village school. As lice are quite common, it will not take long for the phone to ring so that you can be invited to see first-hand how such a situation is handled. Actually, at any time, somebody in your village should have lice; if you know how to look, it is actually not difficult to spot, especially along the hairline.

As I mentioned before, lice are vectors for dangerous human disease. If any infestation is quelled quickly, the risk goes down exponentially (as @retrofuturist has added as well).

@denise: The issue is not with lice feeding on old skin and hair particles. What makes them liable for countermeasures is their ability to carry diseases that will kill their host (children, old people and ones with weak immune systems right at the front of that line). If they would be harmless, in the way face mites (Demodex) are -- every single human on this planet carries them around the nose! -- being a carrier would not be a problem.

Carrying them in the full knowledge that they might endanger your whole community makes this a morally difficult issue, as you now need to decide if the children of your neighbours, the monks in the temple, your parents, etc are more important to you than these animals on your body.

I do not know if you or @dylanj have ever lived in a place with compromised healthcare, as both of you give your location as the USA. But in many countries in Southeast Asia, especially in far out rural communities, even easy to cure diseases can become problematic or even life-threatening quickly (healthcare got alot better in the last 20 years though).

As soon as you talk to people who have lived in times where it was normal to loose half of your children to sickness (eg my age group), there will be a growing appreciation that risk of infection is to be minimized -- even at a Kammic cost to oneself.
The teaching is a lake with shores of ethics, unclouded, praised by the fine to the good.
There the knowledgeable go to bathe, and cross to the far shore without getting wet.
[SN 7.21]