To what extent does wrong conduct invalidate the teacher?

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Manopubbangama

Re: To what extent does wrong conduct invalidate the teacher?

Post by Manopubbangama »

Dali348 wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 9:10 am Sounds like a good opportunity to step up into the role of Dhamma leadership
Thanks for the advice, I have thought about it before and while I feel comfortable leading people in professional engineering activities, I don't have the inner-comfort to be some kind of dhamma leader; the feeling of being an imposter and faker would be all too strong, especially considering the fact that I sometimes use foul language and have the impulse to grab beautiful womens' breasts now and again, although I don't act on it, more out of fear of consequences rather than any great internal battle that is overcome. Even the idea of a cute little co-ed thinking "my dhamma teacher is staring at my breasts" is enough to make me want to strike off this idea, because if I ever represented my tradition negatively it would be a great fall.

It just wouldn't work. I would become like the guys I have no respect for. Not the pandakas but the guys that have a backseat couch for the female spiritual-seekers.

Maybe if I spent months and months away in retreats in Burma and overcome some stuff effectively I could hypothetically consider it but I don't see it on the horizon right now. :anjali: