medicine , career and medicine

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
gingercatni

medicine , career and medicine

Post by gingercatni »

Hi everyone,

I'm currently reading the Majjhima Sila, in verse 25 the Buddha says he avoids mathmatical calculations, would this mean that we too should avoid this? Only my line of work is in accountancy. Also he would avoid performing surgery, prescribing and taking medicines. I take medicines as I'm sure we all do is this not allowed either or wrong practice?

Thanks
Dhammanando

Re: medicine , career and medicine

Post by Dhammanando »

gingercatni wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:08 am I'm currently reading the Majjhima Sila, in verse 25 the Buddha says he avoids mathmatical calculations, would this mean that we too should avoid this? Only my line of work is in accountancy.
No, you don't need to abstain from arithmetic if you're a householder earning your living this way. The implication in the Brahmajāla Sutta is that this is an inappropriate way for homeless renunciates to support themselves.
gingercatni wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:08 amAlso he would avoid performing surgery, prescribing and taking medicines. I take medicines as I'm sure we all do is this not allowed either or wrong practice?
Same principle applies. If you were a bhikkhu you wouldn't be allowed to study medicine. If you happened to have acquired medical skills before ordaining then you could use them to treat (1) fellow monks; (2) family members; (3) anybody at all if it was an emergency. However, it would be considered wrong livelihood if you took any payment for this or even if you offered your services in order to curry favour with people. For lay Buddhists in the medical profession none of this applies.
Rūpehi bhikkhave arūpā santatarā.
Arūpehi nirodho santataro ti.

“Bhikkhus, the formless is more peaceful than the form realms.
Cessation is more peaceful than the formless realms.”
(Santatarasutta, Iti 73)
SarathW

Re: medicine , career and medicine

Post by SarathW »

Many of the Sutta's intended for the monks. Generally, people who keep ten precepts considered monks even if they are not ordained monks.
As lay people, we are required only to follow limited precepts such as five precepts and eight precepts on Uposatha days.
Lay people follow the Noble Eightfold Path within these limits.
It is the minimum requirement for lay people however some lay people keep more precepts all the time. For instance, I do not watch TV or listen to music.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”