Reading a PDF book online

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
Digity

Reading a PDF book online

Post by Digity »

I was looking into a book online and found a university website that was hosting link to the book (is the fact that a university is hosting it make it more legit?). I clicked the link and started reading just to get a preview, but now I'm multiple chapters in and feel like I'm stealing by reading it without having paid. It's a remote book, but still available on amazon (although pricey). I'm debating whether I should stop reading and go through the trouble of trying to get a real copy. The concern is that I'm stealing and hence breaking the precepts.
chownah

Re: Reading a PDF book online

Post by chownah »

It seems like the link to the book was freely given by the university....I guess the onus is on the university. Did they provides some kind of restrictions on the use of that link?
chownah
Digity

Post by Digity »

No restriction that I'm aware of.
chownah

Post by chownah »

Then it seems ok to me. It is freely available to the world via the internet by actions of the university.
You could go research the university's policy on this sort of thing....but I wouldn't.

Do be aware that I am not a strong believer in the sanctity of intellectual property. I have no doubt transgressed on people's intellectual property but I don't worry about it in the least....maybe I should....but I don't....so....don't let me lead you astray....I'm a rascal. On the flip side, I have created some intellectual property and concertedly did not try to register it.....
chownah