Natural Pest Control

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
TRobinson465

Re: Natural Pest Control

Post by TRobinson465 »

Yeah i think keeping the first precept is quite hard in all circumstances. I once had an infestation of bugs (i dont remember what they were called) in my house and they just kept multiplying. Larvae would fall from the ceiling and grain in my house would be full of them. I literally had no choice but to set traps that would kill them before they just took over my house. i tried collected the larvae and just putting them outside but there was no reasonable way i could get rid of them without killing them. and better kill them sooner rather than later so the headcount wouldnt be too high as they multiplied quickly.
"Do not have blind faith, but also no blind criticism" - the 14th Dalai Lama

"The Blessed One has set in motion the unexcelled Wheel of Dhamma that cannot be stopped by brahmins, devas, Maras, Brahmas or anyone in the cosmos." -Dhammacakkappavattana Sutta
cookiemonster

Post by cookiemonster »

TRobinson465 wrote: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:19 am Hello all,

A friend of mine asked a very interesting question and I wasn't sure about the answer.

The question is, is using a natural predator as a form of pest control an act of killing? For instance buying ladybugs for your garden, buying a carnivorous plant for your home, etc. I remember some stories in the Pali canon where people would tie cats with leashes to barrels to protect their food from rats. Do these acts count as bad kamma in any way?
We reap negative kamma-vipaka by killing insects/animals, but the vipaka is of a minor grade. IMO specifically & only killing invasive insects possesses even less bad kamma-vipaka, especially when balanced out with positive kamma-vipaka - for example, when one is attempting to preserve health and the ability to practice Dhamma for one's family. Obviously, it is best if one can avoid doing it at all.

In the patimokkha, killing insects/animals is only described as a pacittiya (minor) offense for killing insects/animals (#61): https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... l#pc-part7 ... on par with digging soil (#10), damaging a living plant (#11), causing frustration (#12), bathing more than twice a month (#57), or having an inappropriately sized sitting cloth (#89)
Digity

Post by Digity »

The best thing to do with bugs is try to prevent them from getting in in the first place. Those carpenter ants got into my house through a hole in the outside wall. When I found that I sealed it up. So, look around your house and seal up any holes, etc. where they might be able to get in.
gathe1951

Post by gathe1951 »

Natural pest management is a method of controlling pests without using chemicals. Rather different creepy crawlies, winged creatures, plants or mechanical strategies are utilized. In spite of the that they expel the vermin, they additionally slaughter huge members of the bugs that are helpful to the product.
birdy1809

Post by birdy1809 »

Hello there,

There is nothing wrong in that I used to natural pest control and they are also very effective but sometimes they works little bit slow otherwise they are amazing. Not harmful and safe, I used to name oil spray, Garlic insecticide spray, Chile pepper insecticide spray can also help you and there is lots more which are good and not harmful. If you never tried then you should try at least once. I know now a days people want results very fast that is why they use chemical pest controls and compare to them natural pest controls works less fast. Hope this would help you.
Thank you!
Travelerr

Post by Travelerr »

birdy1809 wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:07 pm Hello there,

There is nothing wrong in that I used to natural pest control and they are also very effective but sometimes they works little bit slow otherwise they are amazing. Not harmful and safe, I used to name oil spray, Garlic insecticide spray, Chile pepper insecticide spray can also help you and there is lots more which are good and not harmful. If you never tried then you should try at least once. I know now a days people want results very fast that is why they use chemical pest controls and compare to them natural pest controls works less fast. Hope this would help you.
Thank you!
Hello,

That's a great post. I'm not a fan of using chemicals either, using only natural pest solutions as well. Garlic spray is a good insecticide, I prefer using also water mixed with vinegar as a repellent. Works great with ants and cockroaches.
As for the mice and other rodents I recommend doing as this article on pestcontrolhacks says:
- Cover all the cracks in the floor or walls;
- Cover all ventilation ducts with metal grids;
- Check cellars and closets, to detect the rodent presence;
- Do not store products in plastic bags;
- Keep all cereal products in tightly closed containers;
- Never leave dirty dishes and garbage bin with waste overnight;
- Keep food in the refrigerator or in containers;
- Always close the doors at dusk.
Hope, that helps. Cheers.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.