Security guard way of living and marketplace question

Buddhist ethical conduct including the Five Precepts (Pañcasikkhāpada), and Eightfold Ethical Conduct (Aṭṭhasīla).
mario92

Security guard way of living and marketplace question

Post by mario92 »

Namaste i want to know if being a security guard could been considered right livelihood? I wont use guns, or any arms. Just a bycicle maybe in my residence street, and maybe martial arts, i dont truly know yet. Also i want to ask for example if i were to work in a super market, is it right livelihood if i work only in the fruits and veggies section? (supermarkets also have alcohol and meat section).

I had delayed design mostly completely because i dont have resources or materials to create or finish certain products i wanted to create myself. And some clients i feel uncertain i would gain something out of it, some cash, there is also a lot of competency in the market, it would have to be a long term project, but with cash resources available. Thank you.

Also i have another question: How do you deal with sensuality or lust while working? I was doing some pot painting in my mothers bussiness, but i was surrounded by people i was ashamed they watch me moving very slowly, this was what cuased me a lot of trouble because some toughts i couldnt prevent arising. Thank you.
JamesTheGiant

Re: Security guard way of living and marketplace question

Post by JamesTheGiant »

mario92 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:30 am Namaste i want to know if being a security guard could been considered right livelihood?
Yes, you are helping keep people safe. I was a security guard for 3 years, and I never had to fight or even touch anyone. One guy attacked me, but I didn't attack him.
... was ashamed they watch me moving very slowly..
Why were you moving very slowly?
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you for anserwering, im glad to hear that :), very glad, i was moving very slowly because i wanted to practice sati :)
SarathW

Post by SarathW »

Congratulations!
Just walk normal and practice Sati.
Good luck with your new job.
“As the lamp consumes oil, the path realises Nibbana”
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you i will see if they are still wanting me for the job :P it is all uncertain.
DNS
Site Admin

Post by DNS »

mario92 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:30 am Namaste i want to know if being a security guard could been considered right livelihood? I wont use guns, or any arms. Just a bycicle maybe in my residence street, and maybe martial arts, i dont truly know yet.
Usually security guards don't physically confront any bad guys they encounter. They are not law enforcement officers, so typically will be told to call the police if something gets out of hand that requires a physical encounter.

At a supermarket, it is the customers who choose what they want to purchase, not your decision, so even if you have ethical objections to buying meat or alcohol, the kamma (if any) would be on the customers and perhaps the store owner, but not you.
JamesTheGiant

Post by JamesTheGiant »

mario92 wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 1:52 am , i was moving very slowly because i wanted to practice sati
I understand.
Don't do that. You look like a crazy person. When you do something, do it at normal speed. With full mindfulness, but at normal speed. The only time you should be doing the Slow Sati Awareness thing is when you're alone, or not working, or are around people who know what you're doing, or at a retreat.
I've heard many senior teachers asked about this question, and the teachers always always say Normal Speed With Mindfulness.
:anjali:
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thank you
mario92

Post by mario92 »

Thanks also to David Snyder